“A Bit Disappointing”

Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel did not have the "wow" factor which I was expecting for the price and the quality indicated. We found the decor very sad and dated and thought the whole place could do with a good makeover. The staff were polite and pleasant. Fortunately, the very squeaky floorboards outside room 213 did not keep us awake.

The modern dining room is not attractive and had a peculiar smell, so we decided to eat out at the excellent Bay Horse village pub in Goldsborough, near Harrogate.

The Aldwark breakfast was good, although the service was somewhat haphazard during a very busy period for the staff. Tables were not being served in order of arrival and we eventually had to ask for the tea/coffee which was brought with no thought for the milk, which became a separate request later.

The hotel was not bad, but we won't be rushing back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
SHodgkinson, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you for your constructive review of Aldwark Manor, I have taken all points on board and promise to look at them in detail with my team. The décor of the building is constantly on the agenda for development and improvement with Qhotels continuing to invest in the Aldwark product.

I hope we will be able welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Me and my 'new wife' got married here at the weekend and everything about Aldwark was fantastic,great staff-always keen to help,great service,fantastic golf course and stunning food,can't wait to go back again

From when we booked back in April,the team made us feel welcome and made our day very special...

Thankyou Aldwark

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank ChrisKirsty
SHodgkinson, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Congratulates on your recent marriage at Aldwark Manor Golf and Spa hotel. I am please to see your stay with us was 5 star and that you had a great time. We cant wait to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just returned from a one night Spa Break and I have to say it was very enjoyable. The staff in the Spa were helpful and polite and the place was very clean. The beauty staff were also great and the massage was excellent.

The hotel was spotless and the staff very polite and could not have been more helpful. The food in the food in the restaurant was excellent too with plenty of choice as part of the Spa break deal. Lunch was provided in the deal and only a sandwich was expected however it was a buffet lunch with lovely food. The setting of the hotel was also excellent and very peaceful.

I could not find fault with the Spa break at all. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
SHodgkinson, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write and share this kind review of Aldwark Manor Golf and Spa Hotel. I was really pleased to read of your enjoyment while here on a Spa Break. We are very proud of our hotel and your feedback means alot to all involved at the property.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for my hen night with my mam, future mother in law, sister and friends. The hotel itself was beautiful and clean. We were all pleased with the rooms and the views. However, the service on the other hand was terrible with the exception of Danny and the reception staff.
The staff working in the spa dining area, the breakfast room and bar area appeared as if they couldn't care less, the service was slow, unorganised and sloppy. At breakfast one waiter commented upon disliking setting the tables as he felt he 'has to make conversation with guests' we were also seated at a dirty table when there was clearly a clean unreserved table available. I felt it was very disappointing as with any type of industry the staff can make or break the experiences of the consumer and in this case I'm sorry to say it did not make ours!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

I was really disappointed to learn of the poor service experience you have described during your visit to Aldwark Manor. I am glad that there are positives to be taken from the visit and from your scoring, the rooms experience was a great one. I have passed your valued comments good and bad to all involved.

KInd Regards,

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at the Aldwark Manor, for my husbands birthday, we could not fault this hotel. I read some of the trip advisor remarks after I had book the Alwark Manor, So I went there with mixed feelings, but there was nothing to be worried about.

The room was spotless, the food very good, the service good, the weather was lousy, but that's nothing to do with the hotel.

Our central heating was not working on the forst night and the management offered to move us until the heating could be soughted the following day, but we were happy to have a portable heater and that was fine, and the following day when we returned to the room the heating had been fixed,

We will be returning there again,

Thank yo to all the. Staff for making our stay an enjoyable one

Room Tip: We stayed in room 210 a spacious room and it's at the front of the hotel,
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

5 Stars thank you! I am just sorry we couldn't deliver better weather for you also. I will pass on your feedback to the team which I know will make their day.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

our children paid for this four day break as a joint 50th birthday present for my husband and myself ,,,,,was really looking forward to this posh break but was so disappointed on arrival.staff hopeless....when asked what we were entitled to on this break we got bed and breakfast.......the menu for evening meal is limited and not everybodys cup of tea......the pub down the village is also limited and small..the hotel is 40min in car from york which was disappointing no walking around the grounds health and safety. couldnt play golf as no irons and nobody wanted to help with our enquiries......think our children were over charged for this hotel the gym was not all that good, to cramped...we wouldnt return, and even checked out early was only missing breakfast and that wasnt that good........very disappointing let down.......our bath enamel was even peeling from the bath, and they have notices in the bathroom requesting that your towels need not washing everyday.. two people to this room yet only one biscuit and not enough milk for tea and coffee..

Room Tip: if you want to see york then stay nearer to york...this is wayout the way and mobile phone signals a...
2  Thank Samantha R

I am very sorry that the expectation of your mystery trip was not met. I do not feel we advertise Aldwark Manor incorrectly as to its location to York, and clearly state in all promotional marketing the fact we are a great base for York and Harrogate away from the hustle and bustle. I take all your comments on board and will use them with the heads of departments to move the product forward. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I recently stayed here for four nights and would thoroughly recommend the hotel. Our room exceeded expectations and the room service was very quick - (amazing Fish and Chips). The Spa and Pool area were relaxed and the treatments were some of the best I've had.

As with most hotels, the check in could be better. I would also agree with other guests regarding the service at breakfast. On one of the days the service was shocking, with no obvious reason for the delay and the staff just left us to it.

The hotel has a great location, situated in farm land with lovely views, yet within half an hour of York, North Yorkshire and the Dales are easily within distance.

As above, nearly perfect, just some very easy things to put right.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for this constructive reveiw of Aldwark Manor Golf and Spa Hotel. I am sorry to read that one service has managed to take the overall shine off your experience but on a positive note your scoring of the stay is great. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Steven Hodgkinson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldwark
Oulton Hall & Spa
The Queens - Leeds
The Queens - Leeds
#13 of 87 in Leeds
York Marriott Hotel

Been to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!