“Beautiful Manor-house, excellent staff.”

Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at Aldwark for two nights and enjoyed the short break very much. The house itself is beautiful, and we were lucky ( in a way!) that the dreadful weather had closed the golf course so we were able to enjoy walks around the grounds without the danger of being hit by golf balls! The staff at reception and in the restaurant were very welcoming and helpful, and our room was clean, spacious and comfortable, with a huge bed. The spa treatment was relaxing and the beautician was excellent, making sure that I was cosy and relaxed. My husband thought the fitness centre and pool were great.
The only issues we had were : the bathroom was tiny and contained what is possibly the smallest bath in the western world. I am only 5'2" and had to fold myself up to get in it ! Also the shower seemed to vary it's temperature depending on whether other rooms were also using their showers. Although it was entertaining listening to my husband's yelps as the water varied from boiling to freezing, I wasn't so amused when it happened to me. Big problem as there is clearly no easy way to resolve these issues.
One complaint that could, however, be easily addressed is the grossly-overpriced wine in the bar and restaurant - ordinary wine at £20 + per bottle minimum is well over-the -top.
All in all, a nice short break in a lovely setting.

There are newer reviews for Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Myself and my partner staying here as we were attending a wedding reception there. The hotel itself was ok, despite the weather the grounds were lovely and well maintained, the room the wedding breakfast and reception were held in was nice and the bar and lounge area was also very nice and clean. The only complaints I have is that when we was served the wedding breakfast the waiter did drop the Mother of the grooms main course on the floor and on her chair (It was just a good job she wasnt sitting there at the time, and they had a spare chair) the staff were very apologetic and cleaned it up in a matter of minutes. The other complaint i have is that the room could of done with updating, especially the bathroom as there was a brown stain on the edge of the bath (just wear and tear) and the bedroom was very hot during the night so could do with some air-conditioning, apart from that the views from the room were lovely and the breakfast was great, plenty of choice-fruit, cereal, hot breakfast and toast. All in all i would stay at this hotel again if I was attending another wedding.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Lovely Hotel Stay.....we stayed here as we were attending a wedding the whole day was brill the food was amazing....and the hotel grounds was very extensive and very well kept.....when we arrived at the hotel i checked in and this was very swift and the reception staff couldnt do enough for you ....we made our way to our room (room 405) very big room with massive double bed and fab views over the golf course....the bathroom was very clean and ample in size the room also had a sofa and two chairs so plenty of place to sit and read a book......as we were at a wedding we spent a lot of time at the bar and at the wedding reception my only complaint was they only had one member of staff at the bar and it could take a while to be served.....just be carefull they tried to charge a service charge on my drinks then said that as i was at a wedding they would waiver the service charge.....overall i really enjoyed my stay at Aldwark Mannor and would deffenatly reccommend this hotel......breakfast also was ok but could do a better chef to cook the hot food (e.g scrambled eggs and beans werent nice)

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just returned from a one night spa stay at the Aldwark. The outside of the hotel and grounds are beautiful. Unfortunately the hotel looks very tired and in some places dirty (bar areas, window sills) It was small things like every glass we were given was dirty/residue and flies in bedroom and spa area that lets it down. Our suite room was lovely (101) but bathroom looked a little tired e.g. shower hose spurting out water from pipe.
Food and drink- breakfast was disapointing. We arrived for breakfast at 9.30am and found several items listed were missing from the buffet as they hadn't been relpaced. The little scrambled egg that was there had been standing for ages and obviously you need to arrive much earlier than 9.30am to recieve the 'full' breakfast (it ends at 10am). The evening meal was ok. I had the fish which was a little greasy, cheese board was lovely with a local cheese and starters were good. The price of the bar drinks were very expensive, over £9 for a bottle of san miguel and a vodka and coke. A small glass of wine cost over £5! On our departure drinks had been added to our room service bill but we had paid cash for everything during our stay, this was a little embarassing although it was taken off.
The spa treatments were lovely and all the the spa staff were very helpful and couldn't do enough for you. Thanks.
We paid over £270 for our 1 night stay and just feel that is was overpriced for the standards that the hotel is offering it's customers. I think their star rating comes for having the facilities e.g. a golf course and spa rather than for the quality of food and cleanliness.

Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Aldwark Manor. I was pleased to see that your scoring of the hotel was very favourable for Service, Rooms, Location and Sleep Quality.I am however very disappointed you feel other areas have let the hotel down. Our rural location does cause housekeeping challenges but again I am sorry you felt let down by this area. I have taken all your comments on board and we will use them to better the product immediately. Should you wish to contact me in person to discuss your stay with us please feel free to do so.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Have stayed here several times and will do again. Really comfortable beds, lovely and quiet surroundings, staff very friendly without being over the top. Great rates mid week and the restaurant is perfectly acceptable. Breakfast is ace. If you get time the Spa was a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for your 5 star review! Its really great that you have shared your experience with the on-line community of Trip Advisor. I see you have stayed before and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at Aldwark Manor for 1 night found it easily enough and was not too far for a day out in York. Found it was a lovely place and the staff were very pleasant. The rooms were spacious, clean and very reasonably priced. We stayed at the hotel for evening meal and breakfast and thought the food and service was great. There is also a pool and spa on site which we didn't use and from what I could see of the golf course it looked in good care especially considering the current weather.

Would definately recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank craigsimo157
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for your 5 star review, I am really pleased that you fully enjoyed your time at Aldwark Manor. As you state the hotel makes a great base to travel to and from York without the hassle of City centre life.
I hope to welcome you back to Aldwark Manor in the very near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Having stayed here a few years ago, I gratefully accepted an invitation to attend a golf day. I spent two nights at the hotel, I arrived quite late on the first evening, after 9pm if I recall, had no problems at check in, so I made my way to the allocated room. When I got there, the door would not open, luckily, a member of staff saw my struggles and attempted without luck to access the room. Back to reception, I was allocated a new room, in the original part of the hotel.I could get in this time to my relief, after the messing about, the restaurant had closed, so room service it was.

The room was larger than I had anticipated, well appointed with a huge bed, the bathroom was modern with all the usual fixtures and fittings.As the golf was the following day and we were teeing off after lunch, I didn't head for breakfast too early, in contrast to the second morning where I had to leave early to head back to the office. I wasn't the only one on morning two in need of a quick start, we were told that breakfast did not start unti 7.30, but from next week it would be 7.00!! In fairness to the staff, they mucked in to set up the breakfast buffet and serve the hot dishes.

The Hotel has two contrasting halves, the older areas could do with a lick of paint and some new carpets.Given my two minor issues, the staff's responses were prompt and both issues were resolved satisfactorily and in a friendly manner.

The food was ok, nothing to rave about, the room was comfortable and the staff engaging, a reasonable place to stay. The golf course is fair and offers a reasonable challenge to all handicaps. The weather of the weekend prior to our visit was horrid, the course was in reasonable condition, given some of the villages close by had been flooded.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank mobile_mackem
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

It was great to read your comprehensive report of Aldwark Manor Golf and Spa Hotel. I was sorry to hear of the odd problem encountered but happy everything was resolved during your stay. It has been a difficult year for Golf due to the weather but thank you for noting the efforts of the team regarding the course. I hope you will return again to my hotel, and lets hope for some sunshine!

Steven Hodgkinson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldwark
Oulton Hall & Spa
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
York Marriott Hotel

Been to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!