“Very Cosy and Romantic”
Review of Arnica Views

Arnica Views
“Very Cosy and Romantic”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

My husband and I are just back from a 1 night mid week stay at Arnica Views. We stayed in the Barn Loft and found it to be very quaint and comfortable. When we arrrived the gas log fire was going and several tea lights were burning and the lovely ambience was completed by having tasteful music playing. Extremely happy with the bedding and cleanliness. Loved the use of old and recycled materials and fittings. The only thing we found a little disappointing were the provisions for a cooked breakfast. My husband is vegetarian and we were a little underwhelmed by the fact that only eggs and bacon were provided. From past B&B experience we have usually found that tomatoes or mushrooms (and sometimes both) are usually provided without us making a special request. There was a plentiful supply of cereal, yoghurt, fruit, bread, jams, teas and coffees though along with some complimentary port and chocolates. According to the description in the Cottage Manual the Chocolates were handmade locally and sounded very special indeed but on closer inspection they were sadly just plain Cadbury Roses Chocolates. The one personal touch that I felt was missing from a B&B of this calibre was the provision of a homemade style treat eg. a couple of biscuits, cakes or muffins that were either locally made or home made.
We had no key to the front door (because the previous tenants had apparently taken it with them) so when we went out for dinner we had to enter via the back door. It was a bit dark trying to find our way around because we could not find a light to leave on out the back.
We rang the bell at reception when we were about to leave so that we could thank our elusive hosts but sadly nobody responded. Really appreciated the late 12 Noon checkout.
I have rated the value Excellent because we were lucky enough to take advantage of a half price special mid week offer but I would say it is a bit on the pricey side if you pay full rates.
We had a lovely dinner at the nearby (we walked there) Skyhigh restaurant. Service was very excellent and food was good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My husband and I spent two nights at Arnica Views during the first week in August . It was a special treat for my husbands birthday. And what a treat! Everything during our stay was absolutely perfect. We loved our spacious (and very clean) room, the beautiful four poster (which was very comfortable), the huge spa bath, the birds outside our window in the morning and the ample supply of fresh produce for breakfast. We also loved the modern t.v. and the wireless broadband access! During the evening it was very quiet. In fact we neither saw nor heard anyone during our entire stay. We did not even get to meet the mangers; the key was left in the door for us and we dropped it off in the box when we left. However I did speak to Tania on the phone and she was very polite and helpful! This is not a place to take the kids but if you want to just get away from city life for a few days this is the perfect place for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Echuca, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Definitely not suitable for young children. The manager was rude, in hospitable and patronising. When we arrived we realised it was not suitable and the room was not as advertised on the website and really not our taste. We asked to leave, but our 3 night accomodation would not be refunded. We were made to feel unwelcome, asked to be mindful of the noise and during our stay the hotess moved our belongings without permission. We were trying to enjoy ourselves, but it was terrible- ringing us up when we were out to clarify and explain her behavior. We left with the patronising comment of 'come and stay without your children. NOT IN A PINK FIT WOULD I EVER RETURN!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank crahol
ArnicaViews, Owner at Arnica Views, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Whilst the review was made in March 2011, the booking related to a stay in the July 2009 school holidays and was made through a third party provider. Arnica Views is a retreat that provides a luxury and romantic retreat for couples looking to escape, and we agree the property is not generally suitable for children. This is stipulated on the third party provider site: “Rates are for 2 people. The room caters for a maximum of 2 adults.” “The property caters for couples, singles and friends looking to escape. Please contact the property to discuss any requirements for additional guests.” If trying to book additional guests at the on-line booking facility, the booking is rejected. The guest commented at check-in they thought it was strange that their attempt to enter three children into the field during the on-line booking was rejected, but chose not to follow up further. A phone query would have absolutely confirmed Arnica Views was not suitable for this families requirements.

Each of the retreats are individually advertised on the website including details of the bedding configuration ie one queen in this instance and images with the names of the retreats.

We were able to provide the family with a complimentary upgrade for one of the nights to a cottage however given it is peak season, were fully booked.

To issue a refund to the customer under these circumstances is unfortunately not commercially viable. If the error was the properties, we would not hesitate.

The invitation to the guests for a complimentary stay midweek as a couple was a genuine offer to allow them to have a favourable experience of the property under different circumstances.
Reviewed January 11, 2011

This review is limited in that I can only report on the service I received from whoever answered the phone at 7:25 pm tonight (12 January 2011).

I was set to book online, but I just needed to check the availability of the room I was after.

So I rang Arnica Views at 7:24 pm. The phone rang through. I thought that maybe someone was on another line, so I called back. The phone disconnected after the second ring. I attempted a third and final call.

The phone rang just once, and a female at the other end of the line screamed the words '[--] OFF' at the top of her voice before hanging up immediately.

I was taken aback.

So there you have it. If these folks were having a bad day, or if they were busy - understood. But take your phone off the hook or get an answering machine.

I am more than happy to provide a legally authorised Statutory Declaration and provide forensic phone evidence in the case my facts or statements are contested.

• Stayed January 2011
8 Thank Ben S
ArnicaViews, Owner at Arnica Views, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
We have only just seen this review and are completely taken aback and not sure what has happened. Our phones are diverted after hours to an 'after hours message service' so can only assume there has been some sort of cross line. Why anyone running a beautiful business such as ours would treat potential guests in this manner is beyond us, we just wouldn't.

A million apologies for any confusion and we would invite you to a complimentary stay to experience the amazing service and property we offer. Again, really confused with this comment.
Victoria
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Stayed in the sunset suite with my partner, the night was so wonderful, the bath was great. See all of the above comments cause they are all true.. However! Included in the deal there was breakfast, and gee, i really wish i could have brought all of our own stuff.. It was supposed to be fresh baked bread... It was frozen, and dethoring on the breakfast bar.. and the tomatoes, even though my partner and myself didn't like them, wouldn't eat these ones in a million years.. Bright cherry red, taken out of the fridge, they were sitting on top of eggs.. they had been sitting on the bench from out of the fridge for about half an hour when i looked over and saw that the eggs and the tomato were beading water.. like little water droplets all over them, i went to pick up the tomato and it was all squishy.. as if it had been frozen.. such a shame.. we were a little bit scared to eat the other foods that were not packaged. A telescope was pictured in the room as well, and this was non existent, as was the bird seed that was included.. but the sleeping and the bath were great, it was clean and still fun.. just beware the food.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
ArnicaViews, Owner at Arnica Views, responded to this review, September 30, 2009
Thank you for your review - yes the Sunset Suite and property are certainly stunning. Thank you too for pointing out the issue with the tomato - unfortunately we have guests that adjust the fridge controls and this has obviously occured and effected your fresh tomatoes - so our absolute apologies. I only wish you had of come to see us so we could replace them for you. Just to give you a rundown and ensure your peace of mind, the eggs we provide are free range (some from our own hens) and our yoghurt, fruit, bacon, beans and all cereals and preserves are pre-packaged to ensure freshness and are all well known and quality brands. The bread is baked at Mt Dandenong bakery and frozen instantly to keep it fresh. Whilst we have not received any negative feedback previously we are now reviewing this and looking to purchase bread fresh daily.
The bird seed is kept at the office, please be sure to let us know when you arrive next time so we can point it out to you and whilst the telescope has been broken the long range binocolars are still there for you to zoom in on the city views.
Thank you once again and please contact us to receive a complimentary discount off your next stay.
Kind regards, Tania & Paul.
Victoria
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We stayed at Arnica Views for our anniversary. Ee drove up the majestic Dandenong's and arrived at the top of the hills to a simple bit of paradise and suddenly reality was a million miles away. We were greeted by Tania a welcoming, gracious and most helpful host. She guided us to the Coorabell cottage and when we walked through the door you could not help but feel special as if we were the only people in the hills. The old cottage which is now modern, clean and comfortable was the perfect way to spend our special evening together. We were greeted by music to set the mood, candles, port, chocolate and a spa to help soak the troubles of life away. We had a free limo ride to Sky High however there was a fully functional kitchen and we were given provisions for breakfast. I am gluten intolerant and Tania was most helpful to accommodate my needs. Often in life we do not spend enough time enjoying the simple things in life. Thankyou Arnica Views for allowing us to do this!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skinnymocha
melbourne,aus
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I was torn about putting a review on here but as I always use this site as a guide when travelling thought I should put my comments on this place.
I took my husband up to Arnica Views for an overnight stay for his 50th birthday and our 25th anniversary. I must start with the positives by saying that the owners were lovely and very obliging, went out of their way for us but i felt for the $280 nightly rate I paid, the property itself was a little disappointing. It was a cottage that has been split up into 3 apartments. Two down the bottom and one in the upper level which was the sunset suite.
It was just one larger room with a bed,couch, table, kitchenette and a small bathroom.
The spa was a bit squashy for 2 people and had brown scratchy marks on the bottom of it, although it was clean it is probably ready to be replaced. It had an old world feel to it with green floral carpet, 4 poster bed and chesterfield couch...The view of the city was through a cutting in the trees.
I guess even though it was clean and the bed was comfortable, my preference(and it is only my preference) would have been for something a little more upmarket for the money.
However,, as I said the owner was lovely and very accommodating.
I was also a little disappointed as it would have been nice to receive a bottle of champagne or some chocolates given they knew it was a special occassion. I have stayed at other places that have done that little bit extra which makes all the difference.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet D
ArnicaViews, Owner at Arnica Views, responded to this review, October 2, 2009
Thank you for your review. The Sunset Suite is a favourite with our guests offering a large attic suite with amazing city skyline views beyond the gardens, a feminine, sophisticated and romantic feel along with privacy however I appreciate that we value different qualities in our getaways - the world would of course be pretty boring if we were all the same! It is for this reason that each of our suites and cottages are quite different. I suspect you would absolutely love our brand new Coorabell Retreat Cottage. The cottage is secluded, incredibly spacious over two levels with feature ceiling to floor windows and all new kitchen and spa facilities. As with all of our suites and cottages, Coorabell Retreat with all the inclusions is very competitively priced. For any further details on the cottage please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind regards, Tania & Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Dandenong
Merrow Cottages
Merrow Cottages
#3 of 5 in Mount Dandenong
Linden Gardens Rainforest Retreat
Linden Gardens Rainforest Retrea...
#1 of 5 in Mount Dandenong
Valley Ranges Getaways
Valley Ranges Getaways
#3 of 13 in Olinda
Lochiel Luxury Accommodation

Been to Arnica Views? Share your experiences!