“Fantastic Place to Visit”
Review of Hotel Harriniva

and 1 more site!
Hotel Harriniva
Reviewed April 1, 2012

This was my first visit to the region and didn't really know what to expect - despite the great reviews on trip advisor. Having just returned from a six day stay booked with Wildlife and Wilderness, I couldn't rate this trip highly enough. The Harriniva centre was just brilliant, the staff were all friendly, helpful and responsive; the food amazingly good and the rooms were warm, comfortable and clean - with a great shower!

Our guide Scotty, had to step in at the last minute but did a great job - he was extremely knowledgeable, helpful and did all he could to make sure our group were well looked after.

The reindeer farm and sleigh ride was interesting and was a gentle introduction to the week. Snowmobiling was tougher than it looked - all those bumps! but great fun. We did a two day Husky Safari which was wonderful - despite blue skies, it was extremely cold so you need layers and more layers. The 'wilderness cabin' was great; warm and comfortable, despite the dormitory style - again this was way better than I expected. The Huskies are so beautiful but hanging on when they got going was quite an achievement.

We even had two nights when the Northern Lights appeared direcly above the hotel - words can't really capture the magic of seeing them, its something very very special.

I had a long stop over in Helsinki before the flight to Kittala but there's a bus from the airport to the centre of town every 20 minutes so I had the chance to look around and have lunch before my next flight.

I couldn't fault this trip in anyway and would recommend it to anyone thinking about trying something different.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank NottinghamDebs

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Good clean hotel well situated, food ok let them know in advance if you are a veggie as there is no choice of main course at lunch/dinner, would have loved a kettle in my room to make a relaxing cup of something hot after being out in sub-zero temperatures day and night.

It is a great base for many activities, outdoor clothing available, so no need to buy lots of extra kit as several of my companions had. Skidoo and husky sledging teams are just a short walk away, not forgetting the Northern Lights which were spectacular, take a tripod for your camera as exposuresof 15 - 20 seconfds were needed to do them justice. Will definitely go back next year to do a husky wilderness safari.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here mid-March. I booked through Authentic Scandinavia. They were very well organised and very helpful - Trude and Lisa gave all the info and help needed.
I booked several activities: Culture & Ice excursion (first part could have been skipped, boring; second part visit of snow hotel was amazing, never imagined the ice sculptures and rooms would be so good); Reindeer and culture - great fun! Husky ride: again great fun and we saw the 400 plus dogs and got to hold some gorgeous puppies; Snowmobile trip in the evening to see the Northern lights; unfortunately that night, there were hardly any, but we saw the best one just walking in the hotel grounds - best time to see them: after 10pm.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SusannahB
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Just got back from a wonderful fun packed 7 night stay at the Harriniva Holiday Centre with Activities Abroad.

Our guide for the week was Timo ... so knowledgeable of the area and a great cook too, he left no question unanswered.

The trip to the Reindeer Farm ... You get to travel by sleigh to a traditional Kota where Marco and his wife provide hot soup and tell you all about the harsh life they lead.

Snow mobile day ... Timo led us on an adrenalin inspired ride through snow covered forests and across frozen lakes. He made us hot Reindeer burgers on an open fire with tea and coffee ... what more could you ask.

2 day Husky safari ... The highlight of our week, in charge of your own 4/5 dog team en-route to the overnight wilderness cabin. Once we had fed and bedded down the dogs it was time to eat but not before we'd had a traditional Finnish sauna which mean't leaping into the cold snow 3 times !!!

To sum up it simply ticked every box for us and the new friends we met in our group.
The temperatures were between -5C and +2 so we were quite lucky. The Northern Light appeared 3 times during our stay which was the real icing on the cake.

Don't just sit there thinking about it ... do it !!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank maxitup1966
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Fabulous adventure experience. Impossible to criticise in any way. I would recommend this holiday to anyone looking for something out of the ordinary. The activities, food, hotel and staff were all exceptional. We were looked after from the moment we arrived to the moment we left and nothing was too much trouble. We were also lucky enough to see the lights three times in four nights and the aurora alerts were invaluable.

Well done Harriniva and well done Activities Abroad.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CarolynKent_UK
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Our March holiday in Harriniva was wonderful. We were actually going there for a wedding that took place in another hotel of the same group and that was in a beautifully decorated igloo. Harriniva is in essence an activity centre and the staff are really keen to help you find whatever it is you want to do - they provide some clothing although you need your own base and middle layers (lots of them!) and if you want to use other equipment they will try to find someone to help you at pretty much any time of the day.

Rooms: clean and comfortable, not luxury (we didn't have an included sauna but some did). Could only be improved by having a kettle - even if you had to buy your own tea bags it would be nice to have a cuppa in your room!

Food: lots of it, good hearty stuff. There isn't much choice in the evenings (of the main course) so if you are fussy you might end up just eating a lot of starters and desserts. Drink is expensive but I think that is just normal for Finland. There is a selection of snacks / cake for sale at the bar now so maybe they heeded the comments below about being hungry if you've been out all day and not had lunch.

Activities: there are lots of organised trips on a timetable, its on the website if you want to book stuff before hand. We were unable to book a husky trip through Harriniva so used a local company 'Wild Motion' (you can find them on Google easily) and they were brilliant - picked up from Harriniva and there were just two of us for the day. The guide was really friendly and each of us had our own sled and dogs which is definitely a good thing. The snowmobile trip at night was brilliant fun. We were really lucky with the Northern Lights as they were showing every night but it would have been good anyway. Just heading off with some cross country skis is also to be recommended and is included in the price of the resort. Lastly, the outdoor jacuuzi is great and the ice hole is for the brave!

Top tips: bring good thermals and wear lots of them.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaJaGi
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I went to Harriniva as part of a winter package (booked with Authentic Scandinavia). The hotel is in a lovely setting next to a river (which was completely frozen!). I did snowmobiling, husky sledding and went out to a reindeer farm during my time and loved every minute of it. Snowmobiling was probably my favourite with the husky sledding coming a close second.

The hotel itself is comfortable and the staff were all very welcoming and friendly. I found the restaurant staff particularly nice. I was travelling on my own and so going into the dining room did sometimes feel a bit daunting, but seating was always set up with other people sitting at your table which meant I wasn't eating alone. The food itself, although limited in choice, was always delicious. If you are a fussy eater, it is important you let them know because they only have one main meal option if your meals are included. I did see them trying to accommodate people though who didn't want what was on offer. The actual restaurant menu has a really good selection. The only small downside I had was with the wireless internet which I had difficulty accessing in my room but no problem accessing in the reception area.

I did luckily get to see the northern lights on my last night - best spot was down by the river. Truly amazing experience and I definitely want to go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo