“Lucky to see the Aurora & more!”

Abisko Guide - Day Tours
Ranked #9 of 13 things to do in Abisko
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 18, 2017

Tim took a group of us on a snowshoe walk up to a viewing point (9 Jan). On the way he told us interesting facts & when we arrived made a fire. We were so lucky! The Aurora was on form, a clearly visible arc. Tim took a photo of each couple with the Aurora in the background, he emailed the photo to us the next day, a great souvenir. Just as we had packed up to leave the lights danced & we saw pink as well as green. Simply amazing.
Two days later Tim took us ice fishing. Quite an experience drilling holes in the ice, sitting on reindeer skins with a fire, made by Tim, where we could warm up. Just as we were about to leave one of our group caught a rather ugly looking fish! Tim unhooked it & put it back into the water. Our dreams of eating Arctic Char for lunch were sadly not realised! The next day my husband & I were the only ones joining Tim on a three hour snowshoe walk. As we walked Tim pointed out tracks, talked about the flora & fauna & also the impact of man in the area. Very interesting. We climbed up to two viewing points to look at the lake & surrounding mountains, such a beautiful place. Tim was accompanied on both snowshoe walks by his lovely Samoyed dog.

1  Thank Lynne T
"wildlife"
"culture"
"company"

Reviewed January 17, 2017 via mobile

Tim was a great guide for us on our first morning in Abisko! The snowshoe hike was a perfect way to be introduced to the trails surrounding Abisko and to learn about the history, wildlife, and culture in the area. He took us to a couple gorgeous viewpoints, and overall the hike lasted about 3 hours! We really felt like we got our money's worth, and I liked that the hike was scheduled in the late morning, during the few light hours of the short days in January. Tim was very knowledgeable and friendly, and we also loved the company of his cute dog! We would highly recommend this tour!

1  Thank Valerie A
Reviewed November 1, 2016

We were competently guided by Tim on two excursions.

The first one was a 45 min hike with Tim and his beautiful dog up a hill overlooking Torneträsk lake to await some aurora activity. He provided us with lots of interesting information on the way and made a small wood fire at the top for us to sit around. When the aurora activity arrived around 10pm it was spectacular, with rippling green waves in the dark sky. Tim helped us set up our compact camera to take some photos and took some himself with his more professional camera. We were very happy with both his photos (mailed to us promptly the next day) and ours. It was a magical experience.

The second activity was an "aurora hunting" excursion in Tim's vehicle with 4 other clients. We drove around the Abisko region from 8:30 pm seeking the clearest patches of sky and stopping when there was visible aurora activity. We also got some wonderful photos from this excursion, though we were disturbed sometimes by car headlights coming past.

Overall we enjoyed the walking excursion a bit more as our group was smaller (just us!) and we felt a bit more remote from civilization. But both were good - if there are auroras to be seen, Tim will find them!

Tips: make sure you have a decent camera and you are practiced at setting it up for long manual exposures. NB: the camera sees the auroras better than you can! Take a tripod, even a small one. Dress very warmly, even for the car excursion, but for the hiking excursion, be ready to de-layer while climbing the hill as it is easy to start heating up & perspiring, despite the sub-zero temperature.

1  Thank Michelle_RQ
Reviewed February 24, 2016

Ice Climbing………..
The cost is 775 sek per person at the time of writing (about $90 USD). What Tim doesn’t say on his site is that he takes groups up to 6 people (normally for climbing you don’t want more than 2-3 people since that will really limit the amount of climbing). His site also says that he takes you climbing for about 2 ½ hours. Now that we have that out of the way, let’s begin.
Tim came about 10 minutes late to pick us up (2:10), there were 5 in our group total. After all the setup and instruction three people in our group were able to climb 2 times and two people climbed three. Now he said that it was time to wrap up around 4:20. After we packed up all our gear and driving, I was back in my hotel around 4:50. So let’s do some math now 775sek*5= 3875 total for about two hours of work, if we break that down a bit more 3875/2= 1937.5 sek. Now that is not a bad hourly wage (I think I may be in the wrong business). When I calculated it out I ended up paying $30 per climb and for my wife it was $45. IT WAS A TOTAL RIP OFF. The wall that he took us to wasn’t even 30 feet and for a slow climber it took them about 4 minutes to get up. I’d take your money somewhere else.
Also I spoke to Tim about the negative experience that my wife and I had and that we didn’t end up getting even close to the value that we paid for. He said that he was sorry that we had a bad experience and there was no mention about what he could do to make the situation better.

Tim N, Ägare at Abisko Guide - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2016

I'm sorry that you didn't feel that the Ice climbing was worth the money.
I got a few minutes delayed because the first guest I was picking up was a little delayed.

I value your feedback and I will see If I can alter the description of the ice climbing to make it more clear.

In the 3 years I've been running the ice climbing no one ever complained about time/price before.The Ice climbing is a "try out" activity and not a private guiding, as is most activities I offer. The time is based on that the majority of people joining the climbing only have strength to climb once or twice.
Compared to other companies that also have ice climbing, we actually give you more climbing for your money.

We usually start to wrap up things at 4.20 to be sure to get back in time. You were a bit quicker, so we got back 10 minutes early. A response I get a lot is that people find it important to be back on time since many people have other activities starting later.
I wish you could have told me your opinions during the activity, then we could try to make time for another climb for you.

I hope you enjoyed our snowshoe walk more!