“Go Ice Climbing if you like to pay $45 for a 4 minute climb.”

Abisko Guide - Day Tours
Ranked #9 of 13 things to do in Abisko
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 24, 2016

Ice Climbing………..
The cost is 775 sek per person at the time of writing (about $90 USD). What Tim doesn’t say on his site is that he takes groups up to 6 people (normally for climbing you don’t want more than 2-3 people since that will really limit the amount of climbing). His site also says that he takes you climbing for about 2 ½ hours. Now that we have that out of the way, let’s begin.
Tim came about 10 minutes late to pick us up (2:10), there were 5 in our group total. After all the setup and instruction three people in our group were able to climb 2 times and two people climbed three. Now he said that it was time to wrap up around 4:20. After we packed up all our gear and driving, I was back in my hotel around 4:50. So let’s do some math now 775sek*5= 3875 total for about two hours of work, if we break that down a bit more 3875/2= 1937.5 sek. Now that is not a bad hourly wage (I think I may be in the wrong business). When I calculated it out I ended up paying $30 per climb and for my wife it was $45. IT WAS A TOTAL RIP OFF. The wall that he took us to wasn’t even 30 feet and for a slow climber it took them about 4 minutes to get up. I’d take your money somewhere else.
Also I spoke to Tim about the negative experience that my wife and I had and that we didn’t end up getting even close to the value that we paid for. He said that he was sorry that we had a bad experience and there was no mention about what he could do to make the situation better.

Date of experience: February 2016
Tim N, Ägare at Abisko Guide - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2016

I'm sorry that you didn't feel that the Ice climbing was worth the money.
I got a few minutes delayed because the first guest I was picking up was a little delayed.

I value your feedback and I will see If I can alter the description of the ice climbing to make it more clear.

In the 3 years I've been running the ice climbing no one ever complained about time/price before.The Ice climbing is a "try out" activity and not a private guiding, as is most activities I offer. The time is based on that the majority of people joining the climbing only have strength to climb once or twice.
Compared to other companies that also have ice climbing, we actually give you more climbing for your money.

We usually start to wrap up things at 4.20 to be sure to get back in time. You were a bit quicker, so we got back 10 minutes early. A response I get a lot is that people find it important to be back on time since many people have other activities starting later.
I wish you could have told me your opinions during the activity, then we could try to make time for another climb for you.

I hope you enjoyed our snowshoe walk more!

All reviews
"culture"
"nature"
"sami"

Reviewed February 6, 2016

Tim took us ice fishing, snow shoe walking and then slotted us in for ice climbing (which we really appreciated). He knows the area like the back of his hand and clearly loves what he does. My girlfriend also wanted to take his beautiful Samoyed dog back to Aus. No matter what the activity or your skill level, Tim will look after you and has the experience and skills to do it safely. Thanks Tim for a bunch of experiences we won't forget in a hurry.

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank Simon R
Reviewed February 23, 2015

We did the snow shoe trek and ice fishing with Tim.
He was brilliant and very informative and he is a good photographer too!

Reviewed February 22, 2015

Tim is a wonderful guide. So friendly and knows so much about the area. We did a few things with him.

I would particularly recommend the night time aurora trek (do it the first night you are there to get all the info and lay of the land), and the ice climbing which was really fun!
He also has such a beautiful arctic sami dog that goes with you on some of the activities! So fun!
Thanks Tim!