Parque Maritimo el Coco
Costa Dulce(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$104
Villa Loma del Socorro(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$99
Travelocity
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort(San Juan del Sur)
$45
$42
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Encanto del Sur(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$35
Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa(San Juan del Sur)
$220
Hotel Victoriano(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$108
$105
Barrio Cafe Hotel(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$65
  • Restaurant
Rositas Hotel(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$36
  • Restaurant
La Estacion(San Juan del Sur)
$74
Hotel Estrella(San Juan del Sur)
All reviewsbeautiful beachturtles laying eggsthe pacific oceanflorapartmentconservation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I recently enjoyed this lovely place on the beach. The beach is one of the best in Nicaragua (very clean, no noisy bars)if you are looking for a quiet getaway. Playa Coco town is a collection of 3 places to stay, one small grocery ( at this hotel) and one restaurant (Puesta del Sol - also, this hotel).

We stayed in the Apartmento Los cangrejos on the beach. It was great! Our initial reservation was for one of the bungalow - further from the beach on the property, however it was too cramped for us, and in my opinion it left a lot to be desired for the price. We explained that we preferred the apartment, and fortunately were able to switch places.

Our apartment was:
Pros
- On the beach with a fantastic sunset view
- balcony overlooking the ocean with rocking chairs and table
- King sized bed, comfy with enough pillows
- Couch (pullout if you have kids)
- purified water
- Excellent equipped kitchen with blender, espresso maker & stainless steal cookware
- Sky TV (if it rains, it may be nice)
- Internet
- Quiet A/C

Cons
- incidental charges for a lot of little things like beach towels, housekeeping, etc... be prepared.
- restaurant prices are very high compared to the rest of Nicaragua, expect to pay US$60 per person above your accommodation if not cooking any of your own meals. The variety of food is limited, understandably, as it is remote and buying fresh food would be difficult.

Personal Recommendations
-This is one of the poshest beaches in Nicaragua, be prepared to shell out a bit of cash if you are staying here.
- Bring a car, if you would like to explore the surrounding beaches (buy fish from the market in Ostinal, etc..) you will need transport.
- If you would like to eat fresh food, go shopping San Juan and prepare it in your own kitchen. (I am a stickler for lots of veggies, salads and would have been hooped if I was relaying on the restaurant to supply it)

Relax and Enjoy.......This is a beautiful place to be if you are not looking for bars, noise, outside diversion, but prefer to just cuddle up with your spouse, watch the kids play on the beach and chill out and enjoy the sunset.

Tip Feb (and low season) they offer a 2X1 special, making it a more affordable destination for those more budget conscious.

Thank you for a wonderful Stay!

Room Tip: Apartment #1 - Los cangrejos is away from the public palapa & has the most privacy
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Parque_Maritimo, Gerente at Parque Maritimo el Coco, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Guest:

We are pleased you have enjoyed you stay at Parque Maritimo el Coco, Playa el Coco. I hope you can come back soon. We appreciate your full descriptions of Apartment los Cangrejos and Pros and Cons of the room and Parque Maritimo el Coco. Regarding the housekeeping, we do not charge for it. It may have been a misunderstanding because we only charge 20 dollars in case you leave the dishes at the kitchenette with food. Regarding the beach towels, you are right. I appreciate opinions of guest like you that likes quiet and tranquil places to stay. Regards,

Reviewed February 7, 2014

While the room i stayed in was very basic, you could spend more for lovely bungalows. The beach is amazing and great if you are looking for a hideaway.
While I was a solo traveller, this beach would be great for a romantic trip or with the family!

Room Tip: Ground floor, window room facing the sea - well worth the money!! $15 per night :)
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Bagpuss090

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

If your looking for a quiet secluded place to do nothing and enjoy the best beach and views ever then this is the place. If your looking for Action,or in a high demand of fast service and something to do constantly do then maybe this isn't your place. We had the experience were looking for. We had travelled with 10 friends to San Juan del sur and needed a few days to ourself. We got the canjeros apartment on the ocean and loved it. Rooms were spacious. Yes things are dated a bit and not in great condition like the shower door or the windows but u are in a third world country!!! They offered housekeeping in the mornings and had a nice fruit basket with rose pedals on the bed. We wanted to rent bikes but they only had one. Within 20 minutes they tracked another down for us and we went for a ride!
My negative would be our turtle tour. The front desk man said he would be taking us. I was pleased because he was literally the only
One who spoke English including the restaurant staff. It was booked for 9pm he didn't gaurantee a turtle siting but I was ok with that. We were the only ones going and at 9pm we met someone at the desk who couldn't speak any English at all. We arrived to la flor and no one there spoke English either he walked us down the beach alone no one around and stood there like we were supposed to bring a flash light. I was scared as I didn't speak much Spanish and had no idea what was happening. I was very nervous and wanted to leave. We walked the beach a bit but being the only person with my husband wondering around we left.
I think more people need to understand English especially dealing with tours and such
As for food. Wasn't bad at all but wasn't good enough for the price lobster was 30.00 and we paid 12.00 in town the night before. Drinks were 5.50 amervian rather than 2-3 and wine was expensive too.
Quality was ok. However the staff were all very friendly and we truly enjoyed our time for what we wanted.
This is a place to relax and have nothing on the agenda. The beach is stunning but I recommend u rent one that's right on the beach! Oh and they had great security roaming the beach and also at the front entrance.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank mouda_12

Dear Mouda:

We are pleased you have enjoyed you stay at Parque Maritimo el Coco, Playa el Coco. I hope you can come back soon. We appreciate your descriptions of Apartment los Cangrejos. You are right about the English speaking personal at Parque Maritimo el Coco. Unfortunately, our philosophy is to create job to local people and some of these local people does not know even to write and read. However, we are spending a lot of money training them in English language by sending this year 2014, 3 of them to Managua to a well know English school. Regards,

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Two lunches about a week apart -- great food and service!! Great location on a pretty beach that is not over-crowded. Try the entire fish fried. Reasonable prices. Don't have more to add, but need to add characters in order to meet minimum for this review to be submitted.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest:

We are pleased you have enjoyed your lunches at our Restaurant Puesta del Sol. We hope you can come back soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

The only thing good about this place was the beach and view. The front staff had no idea what was going on and that entrance looked like crap. Even the directions there sucked. At over $1,000 for a few nights, they didn't even help us with our bags to the room and it was a far walk. The room itself was ghetto, everything was 30 or 40 years old. 2 star at best. The bed was nice and big and the room had a large patio. The unobstructed view and sound of the waves are breath-taking but without that I would have lost it.

There is only one restaurant on the property with arguably the worst / rudest service I have ever come across. They literally refused to serve us. I asked 3 times for my meal to arrive and it never did. It even took 3 requests before I got upset and confronted the manager before we could get out bill. There were 5 useless staff sitting around doing nothing, they should all be fired. We refused to go their again which was an issue because there are no other options to eat.

For the next 3 days we were forced to eat canned food and expired frozen food from their on-site grocery store.

The nearest restaurant or proper grocery store was a 25 minute drive ($130 return cab ride) and you DO NOT go anywhere in Nicaragua past dark. It's very dangerous so we stayed in our room the entire time.

I would go back to the beach in a heart beat but certainly not to this disaster of a resort.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessi154943
Parque_Maritimo, Gerente at Parque Maritimo el Coco, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Dear Jessi:

At Parque Maritimo el Coco we appreciate your comments about the services you received at the hotel and Restaurant. I Apology for the inconvenience you encounter at the reception of the hotel. Unfortunately on December we were under construction making bigger the front desk office to provide a better service for future guests. I already complain the reception staff for not helping you with the luggage.

I will take into consideration your recommendation about the waiters at the Restaurant. They are there to serve not to talk among them.

I contradict you regarding the insecurity around Nicaragua at night. Nicaragua is the safely country in Central America and the area of San Juan del Sur is safe as well. People usually do not like to drive 18 kilometers from Playa el Coco to San Juan del Sur at night because it is a dirt road, not because it is insecure.

Best regards from Nicaragua, Rodolfo Chavez