“Very relaxing with great food”

Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benderloch
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Very relaxing with great food”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Isle of Eriska is what you hope all Scottish Country House Hotels will be like. The room was comfortable, the lounges all had big open fires that you could curl up next to with a book, the food was wonderful and the service was attentive, but not overbearing - just right. We even saw some badgers.

I stayed in a superior room on the first floor which was very comfortable. I really enjoyed the food with venison one night and sirloin steak the next and the cheese board is possibly the best cheese board I have ever had. Anyone who ever orders cheese for dessert will appreciate the disappointment when a prepared plate with the clingfilm cover freshly removed arrives at the table, but this was something else with something like 30 different cheeses on offer. Breakfast was also smashing. I had a lovely back massage and the spa facilities were great.

It was expensive, but we really got what we paid for.

Room Tip: All of the rooms we saw were lovely. If you can I would go for a superior room for the extra space...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Learmonthwanderer
bepp, Owner at Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments for Trip Advisor. Eriska is approaching its 40th birthday and throughout this time Hospitality and Service has been at our heart and I hope will continue so to do. Ross and his kitchen team strive to offer the best fresh local produce and it has been a pleasure to expand our cheese offering over the years and now we work with several local suppliers to help showcase their produce to its best.
This wee k we are working on new accompaniments to help the cheese offering even further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My partner booked up Eriska for my birthday to ensure I had a special time. It was a wonderful surprise. The island contains a variety of wildlife and microclimates, from a shell beach to woodland to marshland and a golf course.

The hotel is warm and welcoming with a touch of grandeur blended with comfort. The accomodation is decadent; a warm and cosy room with great attention to detail. We stayed in a luxury room on the first floor. There is a 'turn down' service while you have dinner.

A cream tea is served at 4pm and at that time you can pre order your evening meal choice and wine.

The bar was a cosy place to have your pre dinner drink. The dinner was beautifully presented and very tasty sourced from local produce. The staff were very knowledgeable about each dish.

I had a treatment booked in the Stables spa which was very enjoyable. There is a swiming pool which when I was there was quiet and restful.

I would love to stay here again. It would be an ideal honeymoon location.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

On the occasion of my husbands birthday and on the recommendation of Sean from Ardtorna we visited for a celebration dinner and we were not disappointed. The hotel is decidedly olde world very peaceful and tastefully decorated. The food is tremendous the amuse bouche fantastic my hake starter so tasty and the rump of lamb had to be tasted to be believed finally the cheese trolly an absolute joy.It is not cheap but well worth the money. The wine list is extensive and something there for everyone. This is a restaurant that I will return to as often as I can.

1 Thank Agnestaitbarrhead
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Had a meal for our anniversary one night on the recommendation of the owners of Ardtorna. It was dark when we arrived so couldn't appreciate the scenery however we did enjoy the long, spooky drive up to the hotel. The meal was £50 for 5 courses & for a special occasion that seemed acceptable. The quality of the food was excellent although, as mentioned previously, the choice was very limited. The service was very welcoming & friendly overall, but I have to mention the waiter who came over with the cheese trolley & provided us with a detailed description of approx 20 varieties of cheese. Overall we had a nice meal & enjoyed our night. It did however lack any sort of atmosphere, I would definitely recommend some low level music as the lack of atmosphere did feel slightly awkward at times. We won't necessarily be rushing back but assuming you aren't put off by the price it was a nice evening & a good meal.

Stayed October 2013
4 Thank weeCALIgreenBum
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent meal at Eriska. Ross joined us in the summer and has throughout his time pushed his team to deliver the best local produce in a way which allows the produce to exhibit real taste and flavour whether this be by simply serving dishes or elaborately preparing recipes. Eriska is nearly 40 years old and throughout this time we have changed and evolved having taken comments and feedback form guests whop choose to stay with us and eat with us and therefore will note your comments about the music although it would be remiss of me to mention that it is a quite a hot topic with polarized views on both sides- We mere strive to offer customers what they wish!
Axbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Isle of Eriska Hotel is a beautiful house on it’s own island in a most picturesque part of Scotland. We stayed there in 2009 and have been keen to revisit ever since. As part of a touring holiday we stayed for two nights this October. We booked the room we had had previously which is called Skye and is on the ground floor. It is a very large and well-furnished room with a fire place where you can have a fire lit if required (£10 per day) with a huge comfortable bed and well-appointed bathroom. Sadly since our last visit there were a few maintenance issues. There was grout missing between the bathroom floor tiles, the hot tap kept needing to be screwed back together, the bedside lampshade was broken and most disappointing of all was that only one of the roof blinds was working.
The grounds of this hotel are beautiful, obviously surrounded by water, so there is wonderful scenery and wildlife. Most of it is left quite wild but the lawns surrounding the hotel are well maintained. Sadly the flower beds are not and were really quite overgrown and neglected and unbelievably there is a faded artificial hanging basket by the main entrance.
The biggest disappointment was the extremely limited menu. We paid £350 a night bed and breakfast last time and £40 extra for dinner. This time we paid £510 a night for dinner, bed and breakfast, morning coffee and afternoon tea . The dinner was advertised to non-residents for £47.50. Both evenings there was a choice of roast meat, fish or a vegetarian option. My husband who is a real foodie had to choose roast meat both nights which to him is just ok as he loves sea food but not fish (nearby Oban is well known for it’s seafood) and chooses not to be vegetarian.
On the other hand I am vegetarian and I had forewarned them and was given a vegetarian menu. Most items were the same as the other menu without the meat! The first night for main course I chose Argyll egg which to my amazement was one fried or possibly baked egg on top of a fondant potato with garnish! The second night my starter was parsley root – thin slices of tasteless hard white vegetable with garnish!
After our first visit we were so looking forward to going again but this visit will definitely be our last as it most certainly was NOT value for money.

8 Thank mec924
I appreciate you taking the time to write your review especially when you have such comments about your stay. Eriska has only survived over the past 4 decades by listening and reacting to guests comments and hopefully learning and evolving so that we can continue. Skye is the old Billiard Room on the ground floor of the house with a large Sky light above the centre of the room. For many years the skylight was covered and artificial light was used to light the room so ten years ago we decided to unearth the roof light and low a from of natural light to flood in. However it soon became clear that we could not offer all light this was as it made it near impossible to create a blackout area if guests wished sow e removed part of the skylight and left an operating blind- the half you refer to - opening and allowing light to flood it. This is how we have chosen to proceed and we believe lets in considerable light- in addition to the windows to the west.
The hanging basket - I must hold my hand up- as I chose to place an artificial basket when our living basket got damaged in a storm at the start of the month and I simply had not a new one prepared- you can rest assured it has now been replaced and I will endeavour to be more prepared in future when the winds blow!

Ross hand his team attempt to showcase the best Scottish Produce throughout the year and as many of our guest stay for 3 nights or more we change the menu on a daily basis to reflect what is offered at our door, what the gardener believes is ripe and what butcher and fishermen can collect. It is therefore possibly seen as restrictive with a 3/3/3 format but given over 7 days we offer 21/21/21 other may see it as extensive although we do also offer an option on the menu of an alternative if you so wish.

The vegetarian menu also offered a similar choice and having checked the menu on your stay it was considerably different form the main menu and one of the benefits of having a head chef married to a vegetarian is that he rests similar importance on these dishes as any carnivores menu. I am sorry that his tastes did not meet your expectations but must protest that we did try.
UK
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We had a fabulous stay again at this gem of a hotel which is situated in the most beautiful place in the world ... No need to fly abroad when we have such scenery on our doorstep !

There is a new chef apparently but the food was still a real treat. Choice is admittedly a little restricted but as the food in general is of the highest standard then I think it is no bad thing to perhaps choose dishes which wouldn't normally be your first choice in a restaurant. The best example of this was the roast pork that was the only meat option on the Saturday night. I like pork, but I would never have chosen in a restaurant what was in essence just a roast pork dinner. Maybe in future I should reconsider because this was one of the best meals I have ever eaten and by far the best roast dinner I have ever tasted. The crackling and gravy were just amazing. When I saw roast beef on the menu for the following night (apparently Sunday is always roast beef) I just couldn't wait and it didn't disappoint.

A special mention should also go to the cheese board, great selection of unusual cheeses and knowledgeable staff who were more than happy to offer advice on choice, my wife and I couldn't help but return to this night after night.

This leads nicely on to the staff, what a great bunch. Several are European, from Spain, Hungary, Czech Republic and Romania among others, but they have been trained to the highest standard and they were so eager to please that I have nothing but praise for them.

Although offering the the highest standards of service it still manages to feel more relaxed than some hotels we have stayed in and some top end restaurants we have eaten at. Similarly the house is full of character and whilst several of the public areas have been refurbished, other areas of the hotel can occasionally look a little tired. For me this isn't a criticism, I think you have to accept this in a hotel of this nature in the area in which it is situated, this certainly isn't a modern hotel in the City and that is not what we wanted.

We had use of the spa facilities through out our stay and due to the very limited number of guests it was like having them to ourselves. I am sure the same could be said of the golf course which always appeared empty, and although it is probably not the best maintained course in the UK, it surely has to be in one of the best settings. In any event, you won't be queuing to tee off here.

In summary this is definitely 5 star luxury in a dream location, there really is no need to leave the hotel particularly if the weather is bad, but if you do choose to explore the local area there are some fabulous outings within a short drive.

We will be back again next year no doubt and I can't wait !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank n111ckb
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 21, 2013

If you want to stay in one location with excellent food, accomodations and service this is the hotel you want. If your room is on the top floor be prepared for climing some steep stairs. Other than that small inconvenience, this is a first class hotel and althoufh pricey, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Red033
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benderloch
Airds Hotel & Restaurant
Kilcamb Lodge Hotel & Restaurant
Glencoe House
Glencoe House
#1 of 1 in Glencoe Village

Been to Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island? Share your experiences!