We had a fabulous stay again at this gem of a hotel which is situated in the most beautiful place in the world ... No need to fly abroad when we have such scenery on our doorstep !
There is a new chef apparently but the food was still a real treat. Choice is admittedly a little restricted but as the food in general is of the highest standard then I think it is no bad thing to perhaps choose dishes which wouldn't normally be your first choice in a restaurant. The best example of this was the roast pork that was the only meat option on the Saturday night. I like pork, but I would never have chosen in a restaurant what was in essence just a roast pork dinner. Maybe in future I should reconsider because this was one of the best meals I have ever eaten and by far the best roast dinner I have ever tasted. The crackling and gravy were just amazing. When I saw roast beef on the menu for the following night (apparently Sunday is always roast beef) I just couldn't wait and it didn't disappoint.
A special mention should also go to the cheese board, great selection of unusual cheeses and knowledgeable staff who were more than happy to offer advice on choice, my wife and I couldn't help but return to this night after night.
This leads nicely on to the staff, what a great bunch. Several are European, from Spain, Hungary, Czech Republic and Romania among others, but they have been trained to the highest standard and they were so eager to please that I have nothing but praise for them.
Although offering the the highest standards of service it still manages to feel more relaxed than some hotels we have stayed in and some top end restaurants we have eaten at. Similarly the house is full of character and whilst several of the public areas have been refurbished, other areas of the hotel can occasionally look a little tired. For me this isn't a criticism, I think you have to accept this in a hotel of this nature in the area in which it is situated, this certainly isn't a modern hotel in the City and that is not what we wanted.
We had use of the spa facilities through out our stay and due to the very limited number of guests it was like having them to ourselves. I am sure the same could be said of the golf course which always appeared empty, and although it is probably not the best maintained course in the UK, it surely has to be in one of the best settings. In any event, you won't be queuing to tee off here.
In summary this is definitely 5 star luxury in a dream location, there really is no need to leave the hotel particularly if the weather is bad, but if you do choose to explore the local area there are some fabulous outings within a short drive.
We will be back again next year no doubt and I can't wait !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Golf is situated on its own island on the west coast of Scotland connected to the mainland by a small, vehicle bridge. Only 2 hours drive from Glasgow and 10 minutes from Oban, it offers the perfect location to relax and unwind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Isle Of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Golf Hotel Benderloch
- Isle Of Eriska Hotel, Spa And Golf
- Isle Of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island Benderloch, Scotland