My husband and I went to Matangi for our honeymoon, and were rewarded with one of the best trip of our lives. It was quite a production to get there; three planes, a van ride down a rustic road, and then a boat - but many of the best places in the world a wee bit hard to get to. It's all worth it. We were greeted by singing staff, wagging tails, lovely shell necklaces and a delicious cold fruit cocktail. The island is beautiful, remote and pristine, and the atmosphere is warm, friendly and intimate. By the second day the staff knew us by name - we honestly have never been treated so well in all our lives. The food was outstanding (and we come from one of the best food cities in the world - NYC has over 20,000 restaurants!) Every morning we were called to breakfast by traditional Fijian drum. There was always a buffet of fresh fruits and the best muffins (how I miss those warm banana muffins!) and we would make our selections for lunch and dinner. Nothing more to worry about. Guests would usually gather at the bar before dinner and share stories and cocktails (the Mai Tai's are to die for) or you could be cozy and romantic on your own. Every night at dinner we were serenaded by the wonderful 'Bula Boys', and one night there was a traditional Fijian dance show.
To be honest my husband and I were worried at first that we might be bored on such a small island. But we had not one minute of it. We are both SCUBA divers, and we took full advantage of the beautiful and healthy reefs all around Matangi. Bale and Ally were fantastic dive masters - we had so much fun with them. We told Ally we had always wanted to see a lion fish, and lo and behold she managed to find one hanging out under a ledge. In addition to diving, we spent an afternoon kayaking and snorkeling in beautiful Horseshoe Bay, and we went on two excursions - one to a tropical waterfall and one to a local village.
The accommodations are lovely. We had the treehouse 'Lomolagi' which I HIGHLY recommend if you can get it. We had a living room, canopy bed, outdoor shower with stone mosaic floor, hot tub, day bed, and an amazing view. Every night we fall asleep to the sound of lapping waves.
The family who owns the resort are wonderful, interesting people and are great to talk to if you get a chance - they are often found mingling with the guests. And so are their adorable dogs - around a dozen Jack Russell/Fox Terrier mixes (all completely well behaved!) There are also roosters, a few cats and a pig who makes an occasional comical appearance.
Really - I am a choosy traveller. NO ONE paid me to write this review! LOL this is all coming from the heart. If you want unpretentious barefoot luxury, an authentic feel, quiet romantic ambiance, and a incredibly warm staff - this is the place for you. Matangi is a true gem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A 240-acre private island paradise paradise situated in the Northeast of the Fiji Group of Islands. A small boutique island resort featuring only 9 bungalows and 3 unique tree houses. Catering to adults only, Matangi Island is the ideal couples retreat offering a wide variety of activities including snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, hiking, spa services, and fine dining. Matangi Island's Horseshoe Bay was featured in '1,000 Places To See Before You Die' by Patricia Schultz. ISLANDS Magazine also rated Matangi as one of the 'Best Private Islands'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Matangi Private Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matangi Private Island Hotel Matangi Island
- Matangi Island Private Hotel
- Matangi Island Private Resort