This is my new favorite destination! We've been a lot of places and this had a special combination of great people, absolute beauty, a feeling of being totally disconnected from the stresses of everyday life. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. Linda and South Seas adventures guided us perfectly. We wanted somewhere that had local flavor and great diving. I couldn't be happier that she suggested places other than Nadi (we did stay one night in a very nice hotel in Nadi, but it was almost a let down after being at Matangi) - if you want an amazing experience it is without a doubt worth the extra time to get there. The prop plane run by island hoppers provided an incredibly beautiful scenic tour of the area.
And now on to the resort.. incredibly well run, not a detail left untouched. The boat ride is enjoyable and you are greeted by a truly talented group serenading you. We found many of the staff members to have a wonderful musical talent and a true joie de vivre. What really impressed us was how friendly everyone was and how genuine they were. It was a really happy group of people that made you feel as though you are part of the family - but with that important balance of knowing how to create a great romantic atmosphere. That's not so surprising from senior staff, but what really impressed me was how friendly everyone was - whether they cleaned rooms, did maintenance or tended the many animals on the island. This was also without the owner present, which is always a good sign of a well run place.
if you love animals, you'll enjoy the 14 dogs, miss piggy, the bats (domesticated), potty mouthed parrots, ducks, pigs, goats and cows. This was a great surprise for us. They did stay away from the common areas, so if you're not into having animals around, you would never have to see them.
Diving was fabulous. How many times do you get to go just with the dive master to see an impressive array of coral and colorful marine animals - Allie is a great source of knowledge and being a conservationist, we really appreciated her understanding of the environment. I even had the experience of a lifetime replanting some giant clams that were likely to be in peril during the next big storm.
Don't miss horseshoe bay - a private picnic with your own beach, bure and even toilet! We spent the afternoon lounging, snorkling, exploring and enjoying the wine and cheese. So glad we went - even though it rained on the other side of the island, it was sunny and beautiful, living up to the designation of one of the 1000 places to see before you die.
There's something for everyone - we didn't go on any group tours, but had no lack of things to do, including just relaxing on the beach or hiking around the island.
Food was amazing as were all of the servers. Bures are perfect. We loved the outdoor shower and the views. We had the great opportunity to experience both the beach front and the tree house and truly can't decide which I like better.
It is not often that we spend what we did for this vacation, but I can say with confidence, the staff, the grounds, the food and the whole experience was worth every penny. We're already trying to figure out when we can go back. If you're wavering...don't hesitate. Couldn't think of anyplace better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A 240-acre private island paradise paradise situated in the Northeast of the Fiji Group of Islands. A small boutique island resort featuring only 9 bungalows and 3 unique tree houses. Catering to adults only, Matangi Island is the ideal couples retreat offering a wide variety of activities including snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, hiking, spa services, and fine dining. Matangi Island's Horseshoe Bay was featured in '1,000 Places To See Before You Die' by Patricia Schultz. ISLANDS Magazine also rated Matangi as one of the 'Best Private Islands'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Matangi Private Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matangi Private Island Hotel Matangi Island
- Matangi Island Private Hotel
- Matangi Island Private Resort