“Really special place to stay”
Review of Parsons House B&B

Parsons House B&B
Parsons House B&B
Ranked #2 of 7 Hartington B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Really special place to stay”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Parsons House really is special. The house has been done so beautifully - and a little bit different - that it's obvious the owner is a designer by background. It's a relaxed and relaxing place to stay and David was very welcoming without any regard for our muddiness. The breakfasts were also in another league. We're coming to Hartington with a large party in July, but we'll sadly be demoted to a tent - I'll be very jealous of whoever gets to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Parson's house for 2 nights and can't recommend it highly enough! David is a wonderful host, and his breakfasts beyond compare. Our double ensuite (king-size bed) was spotless and beautifully decorated as were all the guest areas of the house. Think georgian country house meets 20th/21st century art-quirky and eclectic with the very best possible taste. Tea and coffee was at our beck and call as was local info and excellent dinner recommendations. Pick up the phone and book your room now before someone else beats you to it! We'll be back for more of this wonderful area and Parson's house will be at the top of our list!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Having read the reviews I phoned a couple of weeks before a weekend in Hartington to enquire about rooms for a Saturday night. I required a double en suite and one or two single rooms. The gentlemen told me that he had a large double en suite at one end of the house and two single rooms with a shared bathroom at the other end. I consulted with my girlfriend and two travelling companions and called back the following day to make a reservation for the large double en suite and one of the single rooms. I told him that one of my friends had decided after all to stay in the YHA.
I offered to send a cheque as a deposit but I was told that a deposit wasn't necessary. He took my mobile number and told me that if he had any other enquiries for rooms that weekend he'd give me a call to check that we hadn't changed our plans.
Two weeks later we were hiking north of Hartington prior to our evening reservation. The proprietor of Parson's House called me on my mobile phone around 11am. He asked me about our estimated time of arrival and I told him we should be there between 5pm & 6pm, which he seemed happy with.
When we arrived at Parson's house at 6pm we were led to the end of the passage and presented with the two single rooms. One had a double bed in it pushed up against a wall with little other space in the room. I reminded him that I'd booked a large double en suite and a single room but I was told that somebody else had arrived the evening before who required a room for two nights so he gave them my room. When I complained that he had broken his promise of a phone call to confirm that I still wanted the room, he was apologetic but simply said that he thought we'd all prefer to be together at one end of the house and be happy to share a bathroom and toilet.
I was originally quoted £65 for the double room and £35 for each of the single rooms. Now we were expected to pay £35 for the single as quoted and £55 for the single room with a double bed in it.
There was no communication from Parson's house from the time I called to reserve the two rooms and the call on the morning of my visit when the proprietor called to ask of my time of arrival. I could not believe that he let my room after I made a firm booking and then didn't tell me in the hope that I'd accept the single room when I arrived at 6pm on a dark November evening and have little stomach for trawling around town looking for alternative accommodation.

Room Tip: Don't expect to get the room you reserved.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Hallatonman
DerbyshireDorothy, Owner at Parsons House B&B, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Parsons House has 32 very generous reviews for which we are grateful. We offer modest accommodation, value for money and the best local produce we can source.

We have one large double en suite and two smaller doubles with a private bathroom which can also be used as singles. Many of the reviews posted are from guests staying in one or other of the smaller rooms.

There is truth in Hallaton man's review but I would like the following to be taken into consideration.

Three rooms were placed on hold, not two OR three. Six days prior to arrival I telephoned to confirm the booking as two of the three rooms were not confirmed. It was during this conversation that I was informed that only one room would now be required. I can only speculate as to whether this information would have been communicated to me had I not telephoned. It is worth noting that we do not take deposits or charge cancellation fees. It is also worth mentioning that no other guest house in Hartington accepts one night bookings over a weekend.

Five days later regular visitors inquired about a double room for a special occasion. I made a decision which, with hindsight, was a mistake. I offered our regular visitors the double en suite and moved Hallatonman to the smaller double adjacent to his colleague, in order to accommodate this request.

The moment I realised how unhappy Hallatonman was with his room, I phoned and booked him alternative accommodation at another guest house in Hartington; his colleague elected to stay. On his return home I telephoned to apologise again and offered to compensate him for any additional expenditure he may have incurred. Any attempt at conversation appeared to further antagonise Hallatonman and so I abandoned the call.

Hallatonman in his review refers to the bed "pushed up against the wall". What he describes is an "en niche" two poster bed built into the country panelling. This was traditional to this period of farmhouse.

However, we do take his criticism very seriously and this mistake will not be repeated.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have stayed here now two times Parson house is a true gem and David is great , the breakfast is outstanding, I had two of my party who did not eat meat , David sorted out fish for there breakfast each day ,
would definitely come back again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My partner John and I enjoyed our one night stay at the Parsons House. We loved the decor and character of the house. Breakfast was first class.
Hopefully will return as I loved the village of Hartington.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glossop
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Once again did our September stay,and,once again Parsons House is simply the best.
The breakfast,with its porrige to die for and "breakfast trifle" for starters is unbeatable and the fuul English is the best anywhere.
With its unusual bespoke fittings and furniture,Parsons House is truly the best and David and Ali are the most welcoming of hosts.
Kay and Stan Wimpress

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

My son and I loved our stay at this great B&B. This beautiful house with lots of character was easy to find, the pub and shops were all within walking distance. Nothing was too much trouble, and breakfast was just delicious. Very very impressed, I'd hope to stay longer next time.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank AGouldsbrough
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartington
Charles Cotton Hotel
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Alison House Hotel
Alison House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cromford

Been to Parsons House B&B? Share your experiences!