“Appalling service”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hartington B&B and Inns
sheffield
“Appalling service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Appalling service when we visited for a meal today. Ordered grilled fish with new potatoes and green salad. When it came it was announced as 'chicken' and was deep fried on a bed of noodles. When I told the waitress I was expecting fish, she said it was in fact fish. I said I expected salad and potatoes so she went to check if the order was right. She returned and said these weren't noodles, it was a salad and potatoes were coming. After enquiring why the potatoes had not appeared, she finally admitted the order was initially written down incorrectly after all. No apology, no offer to rectify and no recompense. Fobbed off.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank rahean
manifoldA1, Owner at The Manifold Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
I am absolutely amazed that somebody would take the time and effort to post a poor review just because a dish was wrong. Mistakes can happen and especially during busy periods. Staff are human. Can I also point out that to post only 1 star is hardly representative of a 200yr old beautiful inn set in the most breathtaking English countryside with one of the best Chef in staffordshire. I am sure the readers will come to their own sensible conclusions on this one

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Nottinghamshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

DO NOT VISIT TO EAT HERE UNLESS YOU HAVE BOOKED!!! The Chef seems to rule the roost!
Recently my partner, my 3 year old Son and I visited the Manifold Valley Inn having booked into the campsite at the rear of the pub. We have visited this pub at least 6 times over the last couple of years spending good money.
On this particular occasion during the day we checked what time meals were being served until to be told 2030hrs.
At 1930hrs we returned to the pub, along with our 3 year old Son, to collect menus and purchase drinks having found a table to sit at outside. At 2000hrs we went to order food well in advance of the 2030hrs last serving time only to be told that the chef was no longer serving unless a table had been booked. This is contrary to what we had been told. I asked to book a table and was further told that there were none available...even though we were sat at one outside!
A full explanation of my previous confirmation of the 2030hrs last serving time was explained to the bar staff were I was only to be told that it was at the chefs discretion.
Whilst the bar staff were polite and apologetic this did not help the fact the that we were unable to feed our Son or ourselves (me also being 7 months pregnant!).
Avoid this place like the plague if you want to eat without booking in advance and go to the Ye Olde Royal Oak Inn a few miles up the road in Wetton instead...great food and HOSPITABLE staff more importantly!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Winnie W
manifoldA1, Owner at The Manifold Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
You are correct in that the chef rules the roost. Carla is our manager and head chef.
You mention the Manifold Valley Hotel which is of course not our name as we are The Manifold Inn Hotel.
Nevertheless the Manifold is extremely popular and it is indeed wise to book a table to avoid dissappointment. This is something I, and most people, would do as a matter of course if we were in an area such as the Peak District on a day out.
I believe you had the chance to book a table but chose to return towards the end of service without a booking?
I feel that your review is somewhat unfair
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Called here for lunch after a hot morning walk down the Manifold Valley. Served by the landlady who ensured our sandwiches and drinks were despatched promptly. The place has got a good feel about it and will definitely call again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank RogerfromTown
Leeds, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I spent a couple of evenings here (but didn't stay here, so can't comment on the accommodation). Very good food (massive portions!). Wide range of local/regional ales. Friendly vibes. Nice location. Considerably better on several levels - I think - than either of the pubs in the nearby village of Hartington, both of which I also visited.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Moira, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We walked here from the nearby Riverside B&B for an evening meal 2 nights in a row. Staff are friendly food is really good, A different real ale on both nights. We tend to eat early so it was nice and relaxed but they got really busy later on as they have their own B&B rooms and a lot of camping nearby. One slight glitch was £2.80 for lime and soda seemed a bit over the top.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GandC_UK
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I'm not sure where to pitch this review. Arrived friday night to a busy pub and restaurant. The room was basic with double bed and clean ensuite shower. We ate and I would say the food was good. My steak and the fish dish was very nice. the real chips alsop a nice touch. The service was slow but it was very busy. Breakfast was good with the cooked breakfast being well thought out. The kitchen also made us a few sandwiches to take out for the day. The problems started saturday evening when the place was even busier. My curry dish was mediocre with packet naan burnt to a crisp and packet rice to boot. Worse still my husbands lasagne was stone cold. The bat was rammed and the staff ruin of f their feet. Over all I think the room was over priced at 90 per night but I guess thats the peak district. My advice would be put an outside bar in to deal with the peak times and check what comes out the kitchen! The staff were pleasant and helpful and most apologetic!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank snail888
Alford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wanting a relaxing break in Derbyshire we spent three nights at The Manifold Inn staying in Room 6 which is at the top of the stairs above the kitchen. Although there was some noise after 11pm on the first two nights it was nothing that we could not live with.
However, on our third night, (Tuesday), we were awoken by shouting, laughing and banging at 12.45 am. I got dressed and went downstairs and the first person I saw was Carla, the Hotel Manager, who looked every bit the life and soul of the party. I asked how long the noise would continue for and she replied ‘I’ll turn it off now’. The noise from downstairs then subsided to some extent but continued outside with vehicles starting up, doors slamming, and even radios playing until the last vehicles left after 2.30 am.
On settling our account next morning, I reminded Carla that when I made the booking I specifically asked if the Hotel was noisy, and the reply was that “it might be noisy at weekends but not in the week”. I also asked why we weren’t given any warning of a party and she just apologised. Carla also said that she had to accomodate us in the main hotel building as the other rooms were fully booked but we noticed that most guests only stayed one night. Also, these rooms are also adjacent to the car park so I don’t see how we would not have been disturbed by the noise from so many vehicles leaving until the early hours. After this experience we won't be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank POTTERZONE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartington
Charles Cotton Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 7 in Bakewell
The Dog & Partridge Country Inn

Been to The Manifold Inn? Share your experiences!