“Mixed”
Review of The Manifold Inn

The Manifold Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hartington B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I'm not sure where to pitch this review. Arrived friday night to a busy pub and restaurant. The room was basic with double bed and clean ensuite shower. We ate and I would say the food was good. My steak and the fish dish was very nice. the real chips alsop a nice touch. The service was slow but it was very busy. Breakfast was good with the cooked breakfast being well thought out. The kitchen also made us a few sandwiches to take out for the day. The problems started saturday evening when the place was even busier. My curry dish was mediocre with packet naan burnt to a crisp and packet rice to boot. Worse still my husbands lasagne was stone cold. The bat was rammed and the staff ruin of f their feet. Over all I think the room was over priced at 90 per night but I guess thats the peak district. My advice would be put an outside bar in to deal with the peak times and check what comes out the kitchen! The staff were pleasant and helpful and most apologetic!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank snail888
Write a ReviewReviews (1,011)

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wanting a relaxing break in Derbyshire we spent three nights at The Manifold Inn staying in Room 6 which is at the top of the stairs above the kitchen. Although there was some noise after 11pm on the first two nights it was nothing that we could not live with.
However, on our third night, (Tuesday), we were awoken by shouting, laughing and banging at 12.45 am. I got dressed and went downstairs and the first person I saw was Carla, the Hotel Manager, who looked every bit the life and soul of the party. I asked how long the noise would continue for and she replied ‘I’ll turn it off now’. The noise from downstairs then subsided to some extent but continued outside with vehicles starting up, doors slamming, and even radios playing until the last vehicles left after 2.30 am.
On settling our account next morning, I reminded Carla that when I made the booking I specifically asked if the Hotel was noisy, and the reply was that “it might be noisy at weekends but not in the week”. I also asked why we weren’t given any warning of a party and she just apologised. Carla also said that she had to accomodate us in the main hotel building as the other rooms were fully booked but we noticed that most guests only stayed one night. Also, these rooms are also adjacent to the car park so I don’t see how we would not have been disturbed by the noise from so many vehicles leaving until the early hours. After this experience we won't be back!

4  Thank POTTERZONE
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed 2 nights ...never again....the whole place needs to be re-decorated and cleaned....colour scheme was DARK!.....on a plus point....Food was very nice....with a bit of thought and TLC...this place "could" be good....shame!

Room Tip: The Royal oak in Hurdlow is fab!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
manifoldA1, Owner at The Manifold Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for your compliment regarding our food. The food at The Manifold is renowned and we have a great reputation in the Peak Park.

The rooms are painted in Heritage Farrow & Ball colours to reflect the fact that this is a 200yr old inn. I'm afraid we refuse to use Travelodge Magnolia.

Can I also point out that our rooms have been awarded 4 stars by a professional organisation so we must disagree with your comments.

It is a shame that you did not find the courage to mention any disappointment to our Manager during your visit an allow us the opportunity to make amends - rather than posting a negative response

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We only called in for a sandwich and a pint but we very pleased that we did. We ordered a bacon, brie and cranberry ciabatta and a ham sandwich. The sandwiches came with a mixed salad garnish with a delicious dressing and perfectly cooked chips - just what we needed after our walk. The bread was fresh and light and the fillings were delicious, could have eaten it all again. We didn't try the desserts because we couldn't decide which one to have and we didn't want to seem greedy having 2 each ! A lovely pub in an ideal position for walkers or cyclists exploring the area.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed one night during a boys cycling weekend. The pub has a good atmosphere and is very busy enjoying lots of custom from the nearby camp sites. The pub has a good selection of real ales and a welcoming interior. The food was very good with decent portions. We had both an evening meal and the breakfast. The big plus about the Manifold is its beautiful location at Hulme End at the head of the lovely Manifold cycle trail.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had a meal there last weekend and was very disappointed
with the food. It was very poor to say the least and I am
sure everyone else felt the same. I eat in places all over
this country and abroad and to say this is good english food
is simply not true. This place needs a decent chef then people
who know about food would return. The meals were also very
expensive . In Derby and Nottingham we can get a meal for
half of what was charged.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Shardlow
manifoldA1, Owner at The Manifold Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

It is indeed a shame that you did not point out any problems to our Manager at the time rather than posting a poor review. We note that you have not specified what meal you had or what you felt was substandard. Our chef is very well known and is one of the best in the area and has over 20 years experience. The Manifold is renowned for its food and we are one of the most successful establishments in the Peak Park. Can we suggest that you make staff aware of any problems and give people the chance to resolve any issues rather than hiding behind emails.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

although I have not stayed here I have visited it many times for meals.The Sunday roast is excellent very tasty & generous portions. There is a wide range of keg & real ales,also there is a varied menu for sandwiches ploughmans lunches etc.with plenty of outside seating.Would well recommend a visit

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartington
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Old Hall Inn
Old Hall Inn
#5 of 159 in Peak District National Park

Been to The Manifold Inn? Share your experiences!