Charles Cotton Hotel
PremierInn.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
All reviewspeak districthotel barlovely villagecountry hotelsteakevening mealstable blockfriday nightgroupon dealdog friendly roomlovely mealexcellent foodopen firecheese shopfull englishmain buildingfamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I've stayed here several times before and once again the Charles Cotton lived up to my enjoyable previous experience. I had a fabulous meal upon arrival and a different room this time which was equally pleasant. I love this hotel's ambience...unpretentious but with a special feeling. And the rear garden's a real sun trap in the afternoons and a great place to down a beer at the end of your day's walk. Hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gordon t
Reviewed June 26, 2014

If it's a good meal you want, served by friendly, polite, well trained staff, then do as my title says, avoid this place. We arrived, ordered a meal (after twice being warned off by the staff that there was a 20min wait for food) and on arrival of the meal began to eat. After a few mouthfuls 3 of the party began to pull faces and we couldn't believe what we were eating. The gravy was contaminated with excessive amounts of salt!!!!!!!!!!!! The food was inedible. There begins the sorry start of our not enjoyable experience at this poorly run place. We were treated as if we were second class citizens. On asking to speak to the manager we were kept waiting far too long, I heard him in the back shout what do they want ,give them there money back and still I was kept waiting . My sister later spoke to him about the gravy and his only answer was" the gravy was made yesterday and I didn't make it .Even when we were given our money back, it was wrong, even with todays electronic technology, the young lad behind the bar still couldn't get that right. Yes I am the complaining customer referred to in the previous complaint on this site. I cannot believe that after my treatment from this place, they hadn't learnt a thing from it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
14  Thank 375disgruntled
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We decided stop of for afternoon tea and cake and made the mistake of choosing the Charles Cotton. After checking that they were serving tea and cake, as you would expect we tried to order in the tea room part of the hotel only to be told that we could only be served at the bar. We joined the queue and foolishly ignored the warning signs of another customer already complaining about rudeness of staff. When we did get served the bar staff were ignorant, unhelpful and totally disorganised. My glass dirty and had to be returned. A long time later our cake arrived to be told that I had ordered the pudding platter (which I hadn't) and I soon realised that I had been charged nearly £10 for two brownies ! Our friend ordered coffee with hot milk only to be brought a tea cup of hot milk. On checking his bill we realised that he had also been overcharged. Our friend asked to speak to the manager, who showed no interest in or concerns about our complaints, blaming the poor service on the fact that it had been a busy day and that a member of staff had gone off sick. He reluctantly gave a £5 refund. No apology. Not good enough I'm afraid. We can't recommend anything about this place - definitely choose the Devonshire Arms across the square where we ate the following day and had a totally positive experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank EnglandBooboo
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Just spent 3 nights here. Accommodation is varied in quality depending upon the room, but the restaurant food was exceptional. Well worth a detour, but book ahead of time. If you're there on a Friday night don't choose a room above the bar if you want to go to bed early.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Perfectly nice stay in the Peak District at the Charles Cotton Hotel. Room was fine. Bathroom was a bit basic even though it was a deluxe room - I was expecting better here. But all adequate. The restaurant was nice ... although the chef had taken to serving sticky toffee pudding with custard on a flat slate which incase you haven't experienced this ... does not work. what next - soup on a bread board!! Other than this - which we just found funny it was good - food was nice, wine was nice. The service overall could have been more welcoming.

top tip ... book into the restaurant in advance for dinner. One evening we couldn't get food anywhere in Hartington - and I mistakenly thought .. well they wont let us go hungry we can grab something in the bar later ... oh no - they would have let us go hungry - so we had to drive to the nearest town to find food.

I did love the fact that dogs were welcome :)

Room Tip: We went for a deluxe room - and it wasn't that special ... I'd definitely not risk a budget room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple