“Lovely stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartington
Shrewsbury
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Lovey hotel. We stayed for one night in a dog-friendly room which was clean and spacious.

Positives:
-Staff and owners were very friendly and helpful
-Lovely evening meal, well-presented
-Nice breakfast
-Nice bar (with local ale) where we could sit with the dogs by the fire
-Great location to go walking straight from the front door

Negative:
-Service during the evening meal started out great but did deteriorate by the end as we had a long wait before ordering dessert, were given one dessert instead of two at first, and weren't offered coffee (the staff did apologise about the desserts the next morning.)

All in all a really nice hotel that we will return to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have amended my comments to be guideline compliant.

Subject: Charles Cotton Hotel
Location: Hartington, Peak District National Park, England, United Kingdom, Europe
Title: Ruined birthday celebration
ID#: 154553990

Ruined birthday celebration

I organised a birthday celebration for my dear wife for 2nd March 2013 which turned out to be a great disappointment. We had had a number of bar snacks at the hotel previously and had been happy with the experience which was why we booked the birthday celebration in this village which we love. I’m afraid that at our “big” occasion however, the good points were rather outweighed by the bad points.

The good points about our visit were as follows:
1 I had had a pleasant chat with the male manager when I booked several weeks before the date, voluntarily insisting on paying in full for the overnight for myself and my wife with dinner included.
2 One of the staff had shown us a satisfactory family room in the converted stable and had agreed that I being disabled could park right outside it, as the car park is difficult for me to walk over. The room had a comfortable sofa.
3 The location and general ambience of the hotel were very pleasing from the outside and in respect of interior décor and fabric.
4 The lady manager who later emphasised that she was not “staff” served us with wine in an ice bucket at comfortable leather chairs in the bar area. It was not a complimentary bottle (nor would I have expected one). At that point we were beginning to enjoy our evening.

The bad points were as follows:
1 Alarm bells had begun to ring when I received a phone call just before we set off on the day of the celebration, the caller asking me if I wanted to upgrade the room. I did not want to, since I had taken great care to see and confirm for myself that I was content with the accommodation and able to access it. I was told that the member of staff who had shown me the room “had been asked to leave”. During our night in the room, we noticed a large dollop of biological material on the waste pipe of the toilet. The water supply to the bath and shower was not thermostat controlled which proved dangerous for me since the water in the hot tap was boiling.
2 When we went through the door of the hotel we were hit by a smell of damp which had previously been noticed on each of several visits.
3 I was unable to rouse someone at reception. The bell did not work. I went to the bar to ask for attention. The lady manager had already seen us in the bar, recognising me by my disability, but was not easily available and when she was, another couple were catered for, ahead of me, nevertheless I waited patiently and she apologised.
4 The manager then asked if I would mind us having dinner in a different room to the room I had been shown on booking – a different room that I did not know about. There was no offer to show it to me. The reason given was that we might find it “quieter” as there would be music on in the bar area. I said that I knew this at booking and was happy with live music, hoping that it would enhance the occasion for my wife who loves music. We decided in the end not to change from the pre-agreed room for our meal.
5 When I had pre-visited the hotel to book I had requested a special main course for my wife in view of her illness and consequent dietary limitations. I was shocked when I saw that the main course prepared for my wife consisted of a small portion of salmon without any evidence of a good chef’s preparation and presentation, not as good as I can buy from a supermarket, together with a very small and uninteresting salad portion on the plate. The chunky chips were OK as ordered. I commented the following morning to management that I could have made her a much more appetising main course at home myself. That was only one of the comments that I felt obliged to make but for me it was the most important. I don’t like making a fuss about things and I would have said to myself “tough, luck of the draw” if there had also not been other reasons for me to be very unhappy.
6 (Back at the dinner) I was then shocked when my daughter who never complains about things and hates confrontation, pushed her steak away and said “It’s cold.” I tasted a bit – it was nearly cold. We had waited 90 minutes for this main course to be served. Three others had ordered steak, and theirs was lukewarm also. Also the steaks were not cooked as ordered, which shocked me. Our desserts were served over a 10 minute span more than three hours after commencing the meal because of very long waits between courses.
7 The waitress confirmed that the steaks had been “left on the side” which would account for them being nearly cold. I had the impression that, for whatever reason, our enjoyment of the occasion was certainly not being prioritised. The behaviour of our main waitress gave a general impression of lack of training. There was no suggestion that the chef or even one of the managers could speak to us personally.
8 We were offered (by another waiter), and accepted, money back for the spoilt meals. None of our party was offered fresh food. Both owner-managers were behind the bar at this time, about 30 feet away, but did not approach us in person.
9 No one had come at any time throughout the evening to the table, as happens in the humblest of eateries, to ask if we were happy with the food.
10 One of our number went to the bar to mention that a waitress had spilt a glass over his wife’s jacket and had appeared not to notice. The glass had been cleared from in front of him despite being more than half full.
11 The female manager came back to the table with our son in law, threatening to have him removed from the hotel. He challenged this but said he would leave if the management were requiring him to do so. He is a policeman. He had had difficulty in a crowded bar in getting attention to his problem.
12 I confronted the lady manager who now came to the table, all ambience and enjoyment of the occasion in the bin by now, and requested a meeting with the managers in the morning to discuss the problems.
13 We met in the manager’s office after an adequate breakfast in good surroundings in the morning, and presented our complaints about the spoilt celebration.
14 The outcome of that meeting was that the management at first denied knowledge of the refunded money agreement then took 10 minutes to sort it out. I paid the amount demanded in full without disputing the details as I just wanted to go.
15 The managers then, incredibly, asked us not to return to the hotel. I left wondering what exactly I had done wrong as a professional man of 58, wanting only to treat my wife on her birthday.
16 The music was indeed too loud and of mediocre quality, but that was a risk I took knowingly. The rest was truly a shock to my system.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Jeremy G
Berkshire
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at the Charles Cotton from 11th to the 14th of March and this was our 4th visit (which speaks volumes). We have always stayed in the Dovedale suite and once again it didn't disappoint.

From the moment we turned into the road that leads down to Hartington and lost our mobile phone signals we saw ourselves visibly relax.

The hotel is set in the centre of the sleepy village and the view from our room of the rolling hills behind the church and the cottages is mesmerising. While we were there we had some springtime snow which made it even more picturesque.

We booked the bed, breakfast and dinner package and all of our meals were exceptional. The menu has a country theme with lots of locally sourced produce and meat and the new chef was very creative and had given lots of thought to the partnering of ingredients. The presention of each individual dish really had the wow factor (The creme brulee in a coffee cup with foam on top was a masterstroke!).

We always take advatage of the great location and head out from the village on various walking trails - which for us 'townies' is always an event due to the wildlife we stumble across and end up being chased by!

Prior to this visit we booked (on Judy the manager's recommendation) a Spa/treatment and lunch at the Dome Spa facility in Buxton. This is part of Derby University so the therapist's that deliver the treatment are mainly students learning the profession. It is an experience not to missed in first class facilities and very relaxing if you fancy some pampering after a long hike in the peaks the day before.

The staff at the Charles Cotton are always helpful and acommodating, and Judy and Alan since taking over in 2010 are really taking a proactive approach in maximising the hotels potential (Weddings, themed dinners/lunches, live entertainment). However if you are like us and just want to detox from busy lives then the Charles Cotton also offers complete rest and relaxation.

A country hotel in the middle of the Peak District is not for everyone (during our visit there was a digruntled and incredibly rude customer who clearly didn't appreciate the efforts all the staff make) but if you want a chance to forget the high paced e-mailing,mobiling,texting stressful world we all now live in - the Charles Cotton Hotel and its attentive and friendly staff is in our opinion the place to stay.

We are now planning our next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
judydyer, Owner at Charles Cotton Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your very favourable review. Its wonderful when guests return and really enjoy themselves . we look forward to welcoming you again..
Reigate
Reviewed March 19, 2013

A two night stay as a means to escape.

The Charles Cotton is an imposing stone building that dominates the centre of the lovely picturesque Dales village of Hartington. The setting couldn't have been bettered.

We arrived late in the evening having travelled some distance for our escape. We were greeted upon arrival by Judy and immediately shown to our room, which was warm, welcoming and clean. We quickly freshened up an headed down to the bar for a night cap.

The couple who own and run the Cotton, Judy and Alan are friendly and welcoming and it soon became apparent that as well as being a refuge for travellers and walkers the bar is also the epicentre of village life. This was evident throughout our stay, but demonstrated beyond doubt on our second night when the restaurant was the venue for a fish tasting menu and it seemed as though the whole village was present. As well as being an admirable, innovative initiative by the owners, who you don't sense wish to rest on their laurels, it gave the hotel a very genuine feel.

Words cannot do justice to the breakfasts, they are awesome and the coffee keeps coming.

All in all our whole stay was very relaxing and peaceful and to be recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed at the Charles Cotton for one night to celebrate my partner's 30th birthday and could not fault anything at all!! The room was beautiful and clean!! We stayed in the deluxe suite and didn't want to leave!
The food was fantastic, we had a 3 course meal in the evening and breakfast the following morning- both of which were of an extremely high standard!
The staff were polite and helpful and the owner went out of her way to make our stay perfect.
We're planning our next visit already!!
Beautiful place in a fantastic location, brilliant service and lovely people!
We'll definitely be going back!! And hopefully soon!

Nottinghamshrie

Judy
Your Hotel and staff are so welcoming,

What a fantastic night on Sat 16th March, Vicky Lambert is not to be missed.

We stayed the weekend with our treasured friends Eileen and Alan, who live in Hartington Village. Hopefully they will have us again when Vicky is singing in the Charles Cotton.
I hope others take the opportunity to visit you when they visit Hartington.
Again thank you for a Fab night, look forward to seeing you again.
Next time we will stay for one of your great Sunday Roast.

Our last visit in Dec 12 when we stayed in your Hotel was just as wonderful

Best Wishes till next time
Yvonne and Andrew (Blidworth Bottoms)

Room Tip: As Hartington is a quite place anyway all the rooms are very well appointed. Breakfast is Fab, serv...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Lincoln UK
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We arrived to a warm and friendly reception, staff were very helpful and amenable throughout the stay. The break was for one night in the the Deluxe Suite which was very nice indeed. Meals whilst in the hotel did not disappoint in fact exceeded our expectations. Thank you Judi to you and your team, it's not often you meet a team who all like to please.

Room Tip: Deluxe Suite was very nice!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartington
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Lathkil Hotel
The Lathkil Hotel
#1 of 1 in Over Haddon

Been to Charles Cotton Hotel? Share your experiences!