“Perfect for a quiet relaxing break” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexandra Beach Thassos Spa Resort

Alexandra Beach Thassos Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Potos
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a quiet relaxing break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

I'd love to tell you this place is crap and then you won't come here and we'll have the place to ourselves but I can't,
If you want a quiet relaxed and chilled out break this place is ideal.
Very clean, good size rooms, good selection of food at dinner, all good, stonking breakfasts. Attentive and helpful staff for whom nothing is too much trouble. Two nice pools, great beach, and a spa and a gym.
Really friendly environment. Potos village has a few bars and restaurants for a break from the hotel 10 minutes walk away but if you go half board there really is no need

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Tattooed-oik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

Ups: on beach
Down: beach is small and pebbly

Up: good food at restaurant
Down:drinks are expensive

Up: simply thassos trip and BBQ cruise trip were amazing
Down: massedonia trip was horrendous, serious rip off can't stress enough DO NOT DO IT WITH THOMSON the rep Couldnt care less when a coach full of us said the trip was rubbish,

Up: thassos and the hotel
Down: Dont go with thomson you will be dissapointed

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Chh89
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

I was so looking forward to this holiday but it wasn't what I expected. Firstly they charge a fortune for the rooms which were very basic. I stayed around the pool area as the beach was too busy and couldn't find a beach chair that was free. The service was terrible, and the staff were rude, as if they didn't want to be there. It took forever to get served and when you complained about the time it took to get your order you were treated with a bad attitude from the woman behind the bar. The buffet was beautiful I must say the food is the best bit. One disappointment though, on BBQ night the bees were landing on the meat which was exposed and not covered and when we complained to the cook he said it was 'good for the meat'!! The manager said the same! How can you say that bees around exposed meat is good for the meat! Hence to say I never ate any of the meat. Entertainment needs to be improved as well. Nothing much during the week, a Greek night with some middle aged singer that can't even speak English no movie nights, so there was nothing to do at the resort at night. The pool shut at 6pm which is ridiculous so you can't swim anywhere after 6pm when it's hot. They say it's to clean the pool but that's a poor excuse. It was hot so I wanted to swim and couldn't even swim at the beach as it was very dark there at night. The young trainee waiters were very nice but they couldn't speak English. Obviously employed for 'cheap' wages, what's the point if they can't understand what you want? There was a kids section which had lots of great food for kids I thought that was fantastic, but I didn't go with children. I went to the day spa and found the staff were okay they showed me through once and I had to try and work out where to go and how long to go into the steam room jacuzzi etc. I couldn't go into the pool as there were two men there cleaning it and putting chemicals the whole time I was there so what was the point? Couldn't they do this before the spa opened in the morning? The wifi was terrible I couldn't get any signal it went down for two days their excuse was there were too many people logging on and there was nothing we could do. Bit hard when I'm trying to check emails from work - they charge a fortune to stay there and can't even get their wifi to work properly. It's a great place for kids but not to go with friends as it's really noisy and hard to find somewhere quiet. I went to Poto during the day and in the evening to find some peace and quiet. Overall, it was a nice place but they really need to improve their service and entertainment.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
9 Thank AussieTraveljourno
York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Having travelled to Greece for many years we know not to expect to much from our accomodation, but the Alexandra Beach is an exception to the rule!
On arrival we were a little underwhelmed until we made our way into reception. We received a very warm welcome and were efficiently given all the normal info and given our room key. The reception was very light and airy and really set the tone for the rest of the hotel.
There are numerous 2 storey blocks of rooms all around the resort so it had a nice village feel to it. We were really pleased with our room, unlike most Greek hotels it was really quite modern in decor and well equipped. The air con (free) was well received!!

The hotel is right on the beach, and is meant to be exclusively for hotel residents (the loungers and umbrellas are free). There is a security guard at the hotel entrance and we did see him turn some people away although some resilient beach goers did make it on through an alternative route, but this did not happen very often.

The beach is sand and shingle. Entrance to the sea is very rocky so sea shoes are a must. It isn't really a child friendly beach in that respect. We did a good bit of snorkelling - lots of fish to see.

We are not generally ones to sit around the pool, although do like to have the option. The 2 pools were very small and got very busy. For the size of the hotel, the pools were disappointing.

The food was excellent. The main restaurant is buffet style (in the evening men must wear long trousers) but you can also forego your evening meal in the main restaurant to dine at the hotel's taverna for half price. The quality of food in there is really high. It is worth paying that bit extra for a treat. We also ate in the taverna and snack bar at lunch time. Both were good, although we found that wasps were a bit of a problem during our stay - not sure if they were attracted by the pine trees. By the end of the 2 weeks we have finally become accustomed to them and thankfully we avoided any stings!!

Drinks were a bit on the pricey side but comparable to prices in resort. We think it was just a case of the pound being so weak that things seem more expensive than usual.

Evening entertainement was good and both the poolside bar and the rooftop bar were good on an evening for relaxing although there was only one waitress serving in the rooftop bar so service was slow. Some of the views from the poolside bar were amazing.

We used the spa a lot. Every treatment we had was fab and the girls there are great. Expect to pay similar prices as you would in the UK. For a Greek hotel we were pleasantly surprised by the standard of the spa and its facilities.

We chose Thassos as we like quiet beach holidays with not so many children. Although we travelled in peak season the place was not over-run with children. I don't know if the idea of a ferry ride to the island puts some families off from booking, but for us it was all part of the trip. Thassos is like Greece used to be, 10 years or so ago. If you're looking for night clubs and bar after bar, this is not the place for you. Having said that, the nearby resport of Potos does get a bit lively later on so those looking for a bit of action will not be entirely disappointed. Equally, if you want a really chilled out evening there are places to suit you as well.

Car hire is a must. We had a car for 4 days (you can travel round the whole island in about 2.5 hrs!) and got to see some fantastic places and some great beaches. You can see why its popular with Greek holiday makers when you get out of resort. The Jeep safari is also a fab way of seeing places a bit more off the beaten track.

All in all, we had a great time at the Alexandra Beach and would definitely go back. The staff were all very friendly and happy to help and the hotel was lovely. Food and drink was good and there was plenty of sun - what more could you want?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Joandmart
Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

This review is just my opinion of the Alexandra Beach - I appreciate that everyone has different expectations from a holiday and that their views are probably very different to mine. We stayed at Alexandra Beach from 5h to 19th September and flew from Birmingham.

Getting there : absolutely no problems at all. We booked with Thomson only two weeks before we left (a previously booked holiday was cancelled). The transfers were so smooth and relaxing, from airport to ferry to hotel and back again - I think the best we've ever experienced. Michael, the holiday representative was excellent.

Hotel : Firstly, please do not confuse four star at home with four star in Greece. The location of the Alexandra Beach is superb, not just for the beach, which is mainly shingle, but for the local villages of Potos and Pefkari - just a ten minute walk away for both. The setting is and views are superb with attractive gardens - and some excellent sunsets. There are, however, issues which I think could do with some serious rethinking. They are mentioned below :

Restaurant : I cannot say the food is bad food, it is not, but very monotonous. Breakfast is breakfast - there was always a very good selection from hot to cold. Dinner, however, is a different story - we just became very bored with the second week being an exact repeat of the first. I read an earlier review - submitted by Miles (we were obviously there at the same time) and he mentioned the episode with the wine. We also witnessed this (in fact the wine was confiscated until after dinner and the guest said he was made to feel like a naughty schoolboy) - the hotel should really supply wine by the glass, surely this is not too much to ask. When a complaint was made, reception were apparently not interested. Also, this is the only hotel we have ever stayed in where filtered water was not available in the restaurant unless you bought a 1.5 litre bottle for 2 euro. You can buy six bottles from the supermarket in Potos for under two euro. It became a principle in the end - we did not buy drinks in the retaurant. Also, there was an upset one morning at breakfast when a guest wanted to take her coffee outside on to the terrace so that she could have a cigarette - she 'was not allowed' and ws told that if she wanted coffee outside then she could buy it from the pool bar - very petty! We had a late lunch in the taverna on the day we arrived, which was ok - cannot go wrong with a Greek salad though. We chose not to eat in the Taverna at any other time as we felt that even with a 50% discount, a charge should not be made at all. Most other hotels, when either half board or All Inclusive, offer an alterntive eating area at no extra cost - as long as you make a reservation. At the beginning of our second week, we went into the restaurant (more like a canteen) for dinner and almost everything was tepid in temperature (the soup was actually cold). My husband complained, but there was no interest at all with him being told 'this is the Greek way'. I don't thinks so! However, the next evening the food temperature was very different and you could not actually pick up the plates without almost burning your fingers - someone must have heard! After this, we ate in Potos a few times - the atmosphere was great with tavernas on the beach, followed by a drink or two (or three!) at the Boomerang Bar - Alex and Abe are fantastic hosts.

Rooms : our room was a ground floor room with a garden view - big enough for two, with plenty of drawer and wardrobe space. It was obviously a family room as we had two couch type beds, which would suit young children (under 12). Very clean and towels changed every day - with only one exception. I had the worst two weeks sleep ever - I have NEVER slept in such a hard bed. Also, if you want to read in bed (or at any time after sunset) please take a torch. The lighting in our room was appalling - very gloomy. No way could I put my make up on unless I was in the bathroom, which is fine but increases the time getting ready as I had to wait until my husband had finished showering. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom, which was ok for me as I only have short hair. If you have long thick hair I would recommend that you take your own hairdryer, or you won't get to dinner before 9.30pm, as it lacked any serious power. Airconditioning worked well, there is a large fridge, which houses the mini-bar (2.50 euros for a can of coke) but you can just push this to one side and put your own drinks in the fridge. These were NOT confiscated!

Facilities : we did not use the facilities, with the exception of me making the most of the 50% discount from the spa for one treatment and having a pedicure, which was excellent. The pool area looked good with the pool bar area and terrace being very spacious with lots of seating. Baguettes (sorry, soggy bread rolls) are available from the beach bar at four euros each - certainly NOT to be recommended! There is mini golf for the children - only six holes and a charge of five euros per person per game - a rip off. There is also a charge for beach towels unless, apparently, you have a superior room. This should be mentioned in the Thomson brochure as the charge is one euro per towel per day. We bought a couple of towels from the village - uncanny really, as this is the only time we have not taken our own beach towels, thinking that with a hotel of this supposed calibre, beach towels would be freely available. Do take beach footwear, to wear when swimming, as it is very difficult getting in and out of the sea from the beach as it is so rocky. Swim from the pontoon, which is better. We did one excursion, booked through Michael, which was the jeep safari. One to recommend and well worth the money - an excellent day out.

Overall, we felt the hotel lacked atmosphere and did nothing to encourage guests to stay there after dinner. We don't go on holiday looking for entertainment as we usually find our own but there did not seem to be much for those guests who wanted to stay around. Maybe, we didn't look hard enough! A good mix of guests - at this time of year there were very few children around - mainly under four. I would like to repeat that this review is based on my opinions only - the holiday was value for money, even if we did eat outside of the hotel a few times. Would we return - only if we could book on a bed and breakfast basis and I could have a new matress! Would I recommend it - everyone has different ideas and expectation for their holidays but I would not tell anyone to avoid Alexandra Beach. At the end of the day it is individual choice.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MrsChris45
WORTHING
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

This is our second visit to this Hotel. Last time was late August 2008. Hotel has improved since last time with a better beach and new improved Taverna. Food as good as before and Restaurant staff are excellent. Roof top bar still has slow service but pleasant views. Pool bar is best with attentive staff. All in all a good all round family/couples Hotel where you can certainly feel safe. However a lot more expensive this time due to Greek taxes. Car Hire is a must as Bus Service is almost non existent, good thing though no traffic lights! Local Boomerang Bar in Potos is best value for drink prices and have free Parasol and loungers for customers. They also have Live SKY footie. Best Beaches are on East Coast with Paradise and Golden Beaches being our favorites. Thassos Town worth a visit with plenty of places to eat and drink. This Island is a very quiet place to relax.

1 Thank CJLM
Sofia, Bulgaria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

There are some really good reviews before me.

So the service and cleanliness are superb; location - Thassos is not the best place in Greece for sure - next time we will choose Halkidiki or any other southern island for sure; food - good and tasty (can be better, can be worse), the hotel tavern is more expensive than the Potos ones ; beach - it is a little bit rocky with lots of sea urchins, but the water is crystal clear (mind that the floating dock mentioned in previous reviews is removed in late September).
If you insist on visiting Thassos this hotel is a perfect choice!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Potos
Ilio Mare Beach Hotel
Atrium Hotel Thassos
Alea Hotel & Suites
Alea Hotel & Suites
#1 of 1 in Skala Prinou

Been to Alexandra Beach Thassos Spa Resort? Share your experiences!