“One of the best hotels I've stayed in, best staff ever!”
Review of Astir Notos Hotel

and 1 more site!
Astir Notos Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Potos
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We begun our trip to Thassos by car for the first time abroad, so it took us way more then expected to get there. We arrived nearly at 9:00 pm, at the time dinner was closing, but our hotel staff was so nice that they waited for us and saved us some lunch, which was great after such a tiring trip. The room was very big, clean and properly equipped. Both breakfast and dinner were tasty and varied with European and local dishes.
The hotel has also an Internet room, which you can use in case need. And also a pool which is great if you don't want to walk the distance to the beach, which by the way is not further than a 5 min walk away.
When was time for us to leave, we wanted to catch the first ferry early in the morning, so we had to check out at 4 a.m, which wasn't even an issue for the hotel staff. They are just great people, so great that we had breakfast packed for us to go, without us having asked.
We were amazed by the Greek hospitality in this hotel. I wish I'd find such great people in each hotel I stay in. It really helps a lot.

Room Tip: Rooms are all ok. We asked for a twin room, but by mistake we were given a double. Without being nec...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bianca2258

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in September for two weeks. A family run hotel, all the staff are really lovely and made our stay very special. The attention to detail is second to nonethroughout the whole hotel, all the rooms are colour co-ordinated, very charming, the dining room is very relaxing and the food choice was excellant especially for a fairly small hotel. Potos resort is lovely, not to big but has everything you need to have a very enjoyable holiday.

Room Tip: our room faced the pool and we could just see the sea which was nice.
2  Thank ellie2009
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Came back a couple of weeks ago from this hotel after a really relaxing and enjoyable holiday. The hotel was spotless, even the glass on the terrace and our balconey, which is not the easiest thing to keep clean! The staff are lovely, nothing is ever too much trouble and always with a smile on their faces. Food was ok, although the breakfasts got a little boring. Having said that, we had a couple of lunches at the hotel and they were fantastic, had the best Greek salad I've ever had, in fact I couldn't eat it all and my husband had to do the honours!

Potos is literally just a couple of minutes away through an olive grove and is a lovely little resort. We found, again, that in the cafes, bars and shops everyone was very friendly and helpful, in fact in one cafe we went to I asked if I could have my iced coffee with a scoop of ice-cream instead of ice cubes, 'no problem' was the reply. After checking with me a few times on how I liked it made, off the waiter went to make it, it was only when I saw him coming back up the road with a little dish that I realised they didn't actually have any ice-cream and had gone up to a nearby stall to get some for me!! When we went back to the same cafe a couple of days later, there was no problem, they'd gone and bought some ice-cream in case I came in again!

We have been to Thassos twice now and it is a beautiful island, the people are really lovely and justifiably very proud of their island but, sadly, we won't be returning because the only operator who go there is Thompsons and the high handed way they change your departure airport, with absolutely no consideration as to the increase in cost and travelling time, means I simply would not risk it again!

Room Tip: Make sure you take plently of insect repellent if travelling in September, the mosquitoes are viscio...
5  Thank LynneH22
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Its taken me a while to review but I wanted to post something about this hotel as we had a great time there!

We visited for 2 weeks in August and it was brilliant. The room was perfect, the hotel was spotless and the food was really nice. The staff can't do enough for you and it's a real family atmosphere. Potos is a nice town with plenty going on. I can recomend the cocktails at the Australian Bar! Thassos is a beautiful Isalnd and we hired a jeep for a week to explore. Finding your own way off road to the top of the mountain is challenging, but well worth it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DanBLevi
Reviewed October 2, 2012

we spent the first two weeks of september at this lovely hotel. our room was spotlessly clean thanks to the girls for that.food was very good and plenty of it , one of my favourites was the rice pudding for breakfast unusual but nice ! lovely pool crystal clear, but without doubt the best thing about this hotel is the owners and the staff,i,ve been to greece about 25 times and this was the best hotel i,ve stayed in so thank you apostoli , your family and your wonderful staff all the best for the future hope to see you again soon kevin and jenny from wales ps i,ll try to learn a little more of your language

3  Thank kevingethings
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is different to any other hotel we have stayed in in Greece or other countries in the Med. More of that later but now the basics. Firstly, it is a very long journey. On the way home we were collected at 08:15 and we arrived in Gatwick to collect our car 9 hours later and we weren't delayed. It is a 50 minute bus journey to the port, where you will normally wait around 40 minutes for the ferry to depart. The crossing takes around 45 minutes, then you have another 20 minute coach transfer to the airport and then the check-in and flight. It all makes for a very long day.

Okay, now to the hotel. When you arrive, you will be collected on the road and your luggage and you will be driven to the hotel (about 150 yards). You will be met by the owner and manager Apostoli and shown to your room.

The rooms are well documented on here and all are as described although a little small. We were offered an upgrade to the one suite in the hotel which had a separate lounge and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi bath. This is not for sale with Thomson but well worth it. Huge balcony overlooking the pool. All rooms have a fridge and a safe for hire at 10 Euros per week. Beach towels are avaialble for hire at 2 Euros per towel per day. Some ground floor rooms have a disappointing view over the car park and some balconies are very overlooked by others. The food is very Greek and why not? The English are not in the majority here and the hotel (and indeed the resort) caters for many nationalities. The English and Germans are outnumbered at least 3 - 1 by Serbians, Romanians and Bulgarians who drive down in their own cars.

Meals will not always be to English tastes so if you are after a full english breakfast and burgers, fish fingers and a roast for dinner, this place is definitely not for you. However, if you are willing to be adventurous and try something different......go for it.

As the hotel is so small, there is a small staff so you get to know them well which is great. Apostoli is a little reticent at first but as the week goes on, he gets more friendly. He is very proud of his small 8 months old son George. Sophia works very hard and is a great laugh and Michelle, Roula and Anastasia are always friendly.

The pool area is very clean however, if you are not a strong swimmer (like me) I feel it is could be quite dangerous. The pool depth drops quite quickly without warning and there is not, in my opinion, sufficient warning of this as there are not indications of depth around the outside. Sunbeds are a bit tired. Pool Bar (the only bar in the hotel) is good and serves varied and good food. Drink prices are not that expensive. A large Mythos lager is 3.80 in the hotel and 3.50 in town.

There is no entertainment in the hotel and that made me wonder if the hotel deserved a 4 star rating but they tried a Greek dancing night while we were there which was a great success so I feel this is the way to go as most people went to the town in the evenings which is money lost to the hotel.

The town is reached either by a 5 minute short cut through the car park or a 12 minute walk by the road. It is very lively and busy. The road to the beach is about 100 yards long and full of shops and supermarkets, and the beach is a collection of bars and Tavernas all of which have their own sunbeds and it is difficult to tell where one ends and the next begins. All beds are free if you buy a drink.

If you walk to the drop-off point on the main road and take the path opposite and turn left (the opposite way to Potos) you will find San Antonio beach which is much less crammed and again all Tavernas have sunbeds which are free if you take drinks. The Sea Breeze is where we used and was excellent. Great food. The beach is a bit shingly getting in and has rocks when you in there but is very shallow and warm.

We had a great time and the hotel is indeed unique. The owner and staff are excellent and they try to please their guests in any way possible. We thoroughly recommend that you try this hotel.

2  Thank killijw
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I concur with all of the positive comments made in the reviews already posted on here. We spent two of the most relaxed weeks that we have ever had.
Our room was spotless, the food was good, the staff were great!! Especially Sophia, who had no idea of her fame on Tripadvisor.
We did get out and about, by bus and car, so managed to see most of this beautiful island and many of its beaches.
We will return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank shazzywoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Potos
Alexandra Beach Thassos Spa Resort
Aeolis Thassos Palace
Ilio Mare Beach Hotel
Ilio Mare Beach Hotel
#15 of 89 in Thasos

Been to Astir Notos Hotel? Share your experiences!