All reviews the owner pasta clean pool el salvador belgian waffles the food is great bacon burger nice bar beer list quiet place few steps stayed here for nights the main street beers chill hammocks gil
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

During my trip from Mexico to Colombia I stayed in various types of accommodation, from 5* to hostels. Of all the places, Mopelia is one of two favourites and I will explain why.

On arrival I was directed to my semi-attached bungalow, a gentle walk from reception. It had a very comfortable double bed, a bedside table and a few shelves. Small bathroom with really good shower. So no luxury. But it was all I needed. I had a patio at the front with a hammock. Few steps away was a small, very clean pool - well kept garden surrounded the cluster of bungalows where I spotted several iguanas of varying sizes. And not a sound to be heard day or night despite being next to a walkway to the beach. This is my idea of heaven.

I was fortunate enough to meet Gil, the charming owner from Belgium, who lives there with his family. He made me feel very welcome, as did all the other staff. There are several Belgian bottled beers available as well as other beers. Food choices are good and it’s true what they say, best burgers in town. I thoroughly enjoyed breakfasts.

Mopelia is an oasis in a small town full of bars and restaurants, the fun is only couple of minutes away though. I regretted over-planning my trip as I wanted to stay there a few more days. But I’m already planning another trip early next year and I can’t wait to stay at Mopelia again.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled solo
Gilles O, Owner at Hotel Mopelia, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you so Much!

Reviewed February 19, 2020 via mobile

Mopelia markets itself as the quiet place in El Tunco. This is great if your party days are behind you and you're content sitting in a hammock.

The grounds are gorgeous and there's a small pool as well. Breakfast is included. It's cooked to order and tastes good. Dinner is also good and they have a great beer selection. They aren't open for lunch, but other restaurants are close by and there's a tiny market across the street.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2020

We stayed here for 3 nights, and will definitely be coming back. The rooms were comfortable, very clean, and had everything we needed. The pool is a great place to hang out when it's too hot to be at the beach, and the gardens are lovely. The restaurant is excellent, with very good food and good prices. We especially loved the wings and breakfast burger. This is a quiet hotel (which we love), but probably not the best place if you are looking for a party hostel vibe. There are plenty of bars in El Tunco, so its nice to have a quiet place to sleep at night.
The staff was very, very helpful and friendly. The owner helped us find a mechanic when one of the cars in our group broke down, and helped us communicate with the mechanic and traffic police. I would highly recommend Hotel Mopelia.

Room tip: Rooms with AC are nice, as El Tunco can get pretty hot.
Date of stay: February 2020
Reviewed November 19, 2019

We had the pleasure of attending a Thursday Trivia Night where we enjoyed some variety of beers. I was getting a bit tired after drinking golden, pilsner and regia for the whole week. The higher price of the beers is obviously justified as they are imported! The Trivia was well organized and rules to not use your cellphone were enforced.

Also went there for breakfast which was delicious. The bacon burger had so much flavour and was hands down on my top 3 things I've eaten in El Salvador. It was nice to see the family that runs this quaint hotel and restaurant.

Room tip: Review of the Restaurant
Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

The photos did not look good, but the reviews were great. As they say, a picture is worth 1k words. I spent two weeks traveling in the region and this was the big disappointment. Unfortunately it was also my last night. This will not hold me back from visiting El Salvador again though. There is lots on offer and the people are amazing. But back to the review. When you see navy blue sheets on the bed you should know there is a problem (i.e., are the sheets clean?). This reminds me of my college dorm days when all the guys had dark sheets so they could get away with not cleaning bed sheets for weeks. Well, there was a problem. Lots of bugs. I could handle the ants, but when I saw them moving across the sheets as I lay in the bed, that was not so good. It is the beach and it is humid, and I get that. But when larger creatures started showing up I gave up trying to put them to rest. As it turns out, one of them ended up in my bag and so he welcomed me home when I unpacked.

There is also no hot water, just so you know, not that you really need it at the beach. But this was the second most expensive place I stayed in ES and so I would have expected it. And then there was the breakfast. I gather it was a $10 surcharge to have it included and so I would have expected so much more. Basically it was an omelet with a cup of coffee and juice. No bread, no beans, no cheese, no fresh fruit etc., which is what I got everywhere else I stayed in ES.

Stay if you must. Owner is pleasant enough, but he needs to step up the game to compete with the value you get in the rest of El Salvador. Or, maybe this is the value you get in El Tunco.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Gilles O, Owner at Hotel Mopelia, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2019

Hello,
Feedback are always important for us to help us getting better and fix what is wrong.
Especially when reviews are sincere and honnest.
So, talking about sincerity, I have few questions.
-Are you saying, apart from the fact that they were navy blue (true) and it reminded you college, that the sheets were actually dirty? Like we wouldn’t clean it in between guests? Maybe for weeks, like the guys in your college memories?
-What do you refer to exactly “when larger creatures started showing up”? That really sounds scary....
-And then there was the breakfast!
Wasn’t the $10 extra for two persons? Because that’s a detail that makes a difference if mentioned. It’s actually $5 extra per person to have breakfast included...
And are you telling me you were not offered to choose between the 14 breakfast options we have on the menu? There are options with beens, cheese, plantains... But, if you ordered an omelet, well, yes, basically it’s an omelet. But then again, are you telling me we didn’t give you our homemade buns to go with it?
Anyways, I’m very sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay here, it’s always a bad news for us.
Take care...
The “Pleasant enough owner”