TripAdvisor
El Tunco
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews pasta el salvador belgian waffles the food is great clean pool bacon burger nice bar beer list monkey lala minute walk from the beach the main street beers chill hammocks gil craft backpackers
Selected filters
Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

The photos did not look good, but the reviews were great. As they say, a picture is worth 1k words. I spent two weeks traveling in the region and this was the big disappointment. Unfortunately it was also my last night. This will not hold me back from visiting El Salvador again though. There is lots on offer and the people are amazing. But back to the review. When you see navy blue sheets on the bed you should know there is a problem (i.e., are the sheets clean?). This reminds me of my college dorm days when all the guys had dark sheets so they could get away with not cleaning bed sheets for weeks. Well, there was a problem. Lots of bugs. I could handle the ants, but when I saw them moving across the sheets as I lay in the bed, that was not so good. It is the beach and it is humid, and I get that. But when larger creatures started showing up I gave up trying to put them to rest. As it turns out, one of them ended up in my bag and so he welcomed me home when I unpacked.

There is also no hot water, just so you know, not that you really need it at the beach. But this was the second most expensive place I stayed in ES and so I would have expected it. And then there was the breakfast. I gather it was a $10 surcharge to have it included and so I would have expected so much more. Basically it was an omelet with a cup of coffee and juice. No bread, no beans, no cheese, no fresh fruit etc., which is what I got everywhere else I stayed in ES.

Stay if you must. Owner is pleasant enough, but he needs to step up the game to compete with the value you get in the rest of El Salvador. Or, maybe this is the value you get in El Tunco.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Gilles O, Owner at Hotel Mopelia, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2019

Hello,
Feedback are always important for us to help us getting better and fix what is wrong.
Especially when reviews are sincere and honnest.
So, talking about sincerity, I have few questions.
-Are you saying, apart from the fact that they were navy blue (true) and it reminded you college, that the sheets were actually dirty? Like we wouldn’t clean it in between guests? Maybe for weeks, like the guys in your college memories?
-What do you refer to exactly “when larger creatures started showing up”? That really sounds scary....
-And then there was the breakfast!
Wasn’t the $10 extra for two persons? Because that’s a detail that makes a difference if mentioned. It’s actually $5 extra per person to have breakfast included...
And are you telling me you were not offered to choose between the 14 breakfast options we have on the menu? There are options with beens, cheese, plantains... But, if you ordered an omelet, well, yes, basically it’s an omelet. But then again, are you telling me we didn’t give you our homemade buns to go with it?
Anyways, I’m very sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay here, it’s always a bad news for us.
Take care...
The “Pleasant enough owner”

Reviewed April 8, 2019

I stayed at Mopelia for two months, and it was perfectly suited to my needs. 27 second walk to the beach, and easy to walk to Sunzal or Bocana to surf. Clean pool and outdoor shower, plenty of hammocks all over the property. The food is great - try the Casa Verde pasta, the $5 bacon burger on Wednesday nights, and the Belgian waffles. Gil also happens to make an amazing margarita. I'd say for backpackers, it definitely caters to a more mature, chill crowd, those who like to get a good nights sleep. And if you want to party, Beach Life, Super Tunco, and La Guitarra are all within a few minutes walking. I'll definitely be back, thanks for everything Gil and Mopelia family!!

Room tip: Discount for long term stays in some rooms
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Gilles O, Owner at Hotel Mopelia, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2019

Thank you Tara.
Take care, and may the winds bring you back here....

Reviewed January 21, 2019 via mobile

5 star rating, rooms are not cheap, but you get a great deal in return: pool, hammocks, garden, a bar with 20+ beers and rums, interesting food menu and only a few steps away from the beach.
I could easily stay here for a week!

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Gilles O, Owner at Hotel Mopelia, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2019

Thank you so much....

Reviewed January 17, 2019

A review of the bar.
We have no idea that a Belgian man owns a hotel and restaurant in El Tunco. A guy told us about the place during our dinner in a local eatery.
We were curious to see the bar, it wasn't far from our hotel. The location is behind from the main street. Coming in the evening is not pretty clear, they use dim lights.

We need our flashlight to see the beer list. They have some beers from Belgium, but the price is not cheap.
So I'll better drink the local beer instead.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2018

I loved the place, really nice air con private suite, clean room and comfy bed. Beautiful property, swimming pool, attention was great, it´s located close to the beach and close to restaurants, bars and convenience stores. Actually I recommended to 3 other friend who went there and loved the place. By the way, super peaceful.

Date of stay: June 2018