All reviews the owner pasta el salvador belgian waffles the food is great clean pool loud music nice bar beer list monkey lala rooms are very basic minute walk from the beach two nights enjoyed our stay the main street other places gilles
Selected filters
Reviewed April 8, 2019

I stayed at Mopelia for two months, and it was perfectly suited to my needs. 27 second walk to the beach, and easy to walk to Sunzal or Bocana to surf. Clean pool and outdoor shower, plenty of hammocks all over the property. The food is great - try the Casa Verde pasta, the $5 bacon burger on Wednesday nights, and the Belgian waffles. Gil also happens to make an amazing margarita. I'd say for backpackers, it definitely caters to a more mature, chill crowd, those who like to get a good nights sleep. And if you want to party, Beach Life, Super Tunco, and La Guitarra are all within a few minutes walking. I'll definitely be back, thanks for everything Gil and Mopelia family!!

Room tip: Discount for long term stays in some rooms
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Gilles O, Owner at Hotel Mopelia, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2019

Thank you Tara.
Take care, and may the winds bring you back here....

Reviewed January 21, 2019 via mobile

5 star rating, rooms are not cheap, but you get a great deal in return: pool, hammocks, garden, a bar with 20+ beers and rums, interesting food menu and only a few steps away from the beach.
I could easily stay here for a week!

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Gilles O, Owner at Hotel Mopelia, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2019

Thank you so much....

Reviewed January 17, 2019

A review of the bar.
We have no idea that a Belgian man owns a hotel and restaurant in El Tunco. A guy told us about the place during our dinner in a local eatery.
We were curious to see the bar, it wasn't far from our hotel. The location is behind from the main street. Coming in the evening is not pretty clear, they use dim lights.

We need our flashlight to see the beer list. They have some beers from Belgium, but the price is not cheap.
So I'll better drink the local beer instead.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2018

I loved the place, really nice air con private suite, clean room and comfy bed. Beautiful property, swimming pool, attention was great, it´s located close to the beach and close to restaurants, bars and convenience stores. Actually I recommended to 3 other friend who went there and loved the place. By the way, super peaceful.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2018

I wanted a couple days at the beach away from the bustle of San Salvador, and Mopelia was the perfect fit for the most part (it was still a bit loud because of the adjacent Monkey Lala). The breakfast options were good, the beer list great, and the property overall was lovely. The staff gave me good recommendations on restaurants in the area, and for the most part I just sat in a hammock, walked around town, swam in the ocean (it's more surfing beach, but you can definitely swim depending on the tide), and read. Mopelia is only a 2 minute walk from the beach and feels more private than many of the beachfront places. The room was basic, but that suited my needs fine. Definitely bring your sunscreen and bug spray, though!

Room tip: Rooms closer to the beach are closer to loud neighbors...
Date of stay: December 2017