All reviews pasta el salvador belgian waffles the food is great clean pool bacon burger nice bar beer list monkey lala minute walk from the beach the main street beers chill hammocks gil craft backpackers
Selected filters
Reviewed January 9, 2014

It's hard to decide between a two and three-star rating for this place in part because the owner seems like a really nice guy.

Decided to stay here during our two-night stay at El Tunco beach because it was given a starred rating by Lonely Planet. We took a double (with a/c) which cost us $45 a night. Honestly, it was hard to justify this price. After a month of traveling through Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua during which we'd been paying $17 - 22 USD for a similar room, this place seemed ridiculously overpriced.

Yes, you're a 30-second walk from the Pacific, but the concrete room was drab, dingy and smelled like mold. For $45 a night, it seemed super overpriced, particularly for a coastline that isn't exactly economically hopping.

Apart from the room, the grounds seemed unkempt and in disrepair. The place has a lot of potential, but it's squandered.

Probably the most disconcerting and unappealing aspect of this hotel/hostel was the common area/restaurant where the owner's family is camped out during the day with diapered kids running around. The workers were very unfriendly and barely communicative, which we found off-putting. The last thing you want when you're paying $45/night for a room in Central America is to be glared at by the staff and the owner's wife.

In the evening, this same space opens up and dubs as a bar serving an extraordinary array of beers including a craft El Salvadoran beer, certainly a perk. Even still, couldn't help thinking that this place seems a bit mis-managed and under-resourced.

Room tip: Maybe the newer building/rooms closer to the water are more pleasant ...
Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank MoggyNumNum
Gilles O, Owner at Hotel Mopelia, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for your review. It's always helpfull, certainly to try to get better. If we are ready to accept good reviews, we have to accept bad ones, even when they are very hard like yours...
I would just, if I may, balance it a little bit, so peolple don't get such a terrible idea of our place.

- I totally agree that our land is not the best kept ground. It's the deffect of it's quality, wich is that it's big and spacious. It could certainly be better maintained, but it's really not easy to have a perfect garden that big in a country with 6months of dry season... Space, quiteness would be the quality, and we will work on the deffect, trying to keep the grounds better maintained.
- We are a family business. We are living there. It's not some unknowm owner with just employees running the place. I'm attending the guest, my wife is cooking for them at night... I think most of the people appreciate that familly atmosphere. But, that means there is kids. During the day, the bar/restaurant (wich is basicly in our house) is closed, and it becomes our family area... True. I'm not gonna hide them, that will probably not change...

For the rest of your critics, there is not much I would say. It's your experience. Only that I'm sorry you didn't have a good time, and that we will work on getting things better.
Get the room better to justify the price,
Get the personal to be nicer,
Etc...
Have safe trips...
Gil

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Not sure how the hotel stacks up, though we heard positive reviews from the bar. Best beer selection on the Salvadorian coast! Careful of saying something drunk and stupid though as the owner makes a funny habit out tweeting the absurdities he hears!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I love this place! It's so relaxing, and has rooms in a large garden area with a pool. The beach is about a 20 second walk from the back gate of the property.

I've been staying for a few weeks in the cheaper, backpacker-type rooms. They are simple, made of concrete with wooden shutters at the windows, but my bed is comfy and the fan works well. Outside the rooms are hammocks and a balcony area looking out over the garden.

It would be nice to have somewhere in the room to put my clothes, like some drawers or a wardrobe, but since most people only stay a few nights here that probably isn't a problem for them. Mosquito screens on the window would also be good, although the more expensive rooms have these. My room is $10 a night and this seems like good value.

There are other more expensive room with air-con and the owner is building a room which will have sea-views.

The restaurant area is really nice, lots of places to lie around and use the wifi and the food is good. (I recommend the pasta de diablo). I can't usually get wifi in my room, but the connection in the restaurant seems reliable.

The owner, Gil, is super helpful and very interesting to talk to. I was talking to him about my travel plans and he didn't know if there was an ATM in of the places I was going to, so he just got on the phone and rang a friend of his who lived in the town to ask him. Awesome customer service! He's just installed a water refill system where you can refill a water bottle for 25 cents a gallon - great for cutting down on plastic bottle use.

Overall, this is one of the top backpacker-type places I've stayed at (and I've been traveling pretty consistently for the past four years.)

Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Emma C
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This might be the best place in El Tunco (this was the only place we stayed in), but we were a bit disappointed after reading the other reviews. The rooms are ok, not very clean or very comfortable. It is VERY hot in the rooms. There are a lot of bugs (spiders etc) around and no mosquito nets, so we did not feel comfortable to keep the windows open during the night. The pool is quite dirty and the grounds are not well kept. The food in the restaurant is ok. The location is good, just few minutes from the beach.
The heat makes this place very uncomfortable. There is no place to escape it, there are no fans even in the restaurant. But considering the price (it is very cheap), I think this is ok place to stay in El Tunco.

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kipperi
Reviewed November 11, 2013

El Tunco is a nice beach town and Hotel Mopellia is a great place to stay. We stayed in a cabin with AC which was great. Room was clean and tidy. Restaurant and bar at hotel was good. Great selection of beers! For the best puposas in town, turn left out the hotel onto the road, take a right at the end of the road then walk for 2 mins