All reviews private island mombacho volcano avocado toast small island empanadas tree house thoughtful staff day bed free kayaks mango drinks were delicious yoga pavilion treehouse room fresh smoothies total relaxation lake breeze boat ride
Selected filters
Reviewed May 30, 2019 via mobile

Isleta El Espino is a little slice of paradise. I arrived as a solo traveler and spent two days relaxing on this thoughtfully designed ecolodge. No details are spared to ensure that guests have an incredible experience. They greeted me with a drink that was made of fresh lemongrass from the garden and even surprised me with homemade chocolate, singing, and candles for my birthday later that night. It’s a place you can come to relax, do yoga, kayak, swim, read, and take care of yourself. It rained the duration of my stay but that only added to the charm and ambiance of the island; there was still plenty to do and enjoy. I will come back here again, but next time I’ll be sure to bring my girlfriend and parents.

Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank RyanSF12345678910
Reviewed May 21, 2019 via mobile

The private island which rests nestled among 365 other islands is stunningly natural and charming. The design is a mix of ecotourism and boutique Hotel. A majority of the fresh food is grown on the island and prepared to perfection. We enjoyed the huevos rancheros and avocado toast for breakfast, fresh coffee smoothie and local seafood or veggies for dinner. There are free kayaks you can use to explore but also request a private boat tour of the islands at sunset and have Henry tell you about all of the wildlife! The manager Martin is fantastic and will arrange whatever you need for your stay!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2019

I spent 4 days on my own at Isleta El Espino. I wanted to get away from my busy family to work on a book and wanted to be somewhere very beautiful where I'd feel taken care of. El Espino was perfect. As soon as I arrived I upgraded to a little casita because the view was stunning and it had a better working area for me to tuck myself away. I swam in the lake each day, I kayaked, I did yoga, I wrote and I ate great food. The staff were incredibly friendly and attentive. The food was great. The design is stunning. And... being an eco lodge didnt mean a sacrifice on comfort or power. I've been to a few eco lodges where you feel like every time you charge your phone you are being a bad person.... there was never an issue with power which I thought was incredible for a place that relies 100% on solar energy (with a back up generator when needed).

Room tip: I loved the casita's with the view of mombacho but all the rooms are great
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2019

Got in late Sunday after spending a day in and around Leon with my family of 4 (2 teenage boys). BTW If you are looking for a great tour operator, contact Nelson at Samaritan Tours. Our private boat picked us up at the dock and took us to our own 'Tom Sawyer' private island. Accommodations are first rate whether you are looking for luxury stay or Eco-Lodge type experience. Bed was very comfortable and lake breeze was cool at night. Breakfast was perfect; overlooking at a distance small groups of fisherman & volcanoes in the distant foreground.

We spent the next day touring around Masaya. Lots to see and experience. The following day enjoyed a full day in and around Grenada. Again both days Nelson from Samaritan Tours was our very own exceptional personal tour guide. I would suggest a horse and buggy tour of the city. We kayaked around the lake when we got back as well.

The last night we had dinner at Isleta El Espino Ecolodge. Fish, vegetables, drinks, desert, and service was absolutely wonderful. Beautiful night overlooking the lake.

The last morning we got up very early (4AM) to head to the coast. Once again our ferry ride was prompt. We even got a parting breakfast to go which was a very nice touch.

I would encourage staying here if you have a few days in the Grenada area. You wont be disappointed.

Dave

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2019 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had the absolute pleasure of staying on this mini remote island. Customer service was excellent, drinks were delicious, the 360 views were incredible, and entire island didn’t spare a single detail. Our rooms were super clean, lovely, and cozy. All the decor was exquisite and made you feel like you had your own island in this magical outdoor living space. Defintely schedule a massage too! Recommend staying 1-2 nights.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple