1,762 results
All reviews banyan tree sister island small island fish private garden set menu octopus beautiful reef eagle rays outdoor bathroom night snorkeling sand bags jet pool black tip our waiter west side stingray feeding
Selected filters
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Me and my husband stayed at Angsana Ihuru for 8 nights and it was all I had expected!!
The Island itself is small, but magnificant..blue water,white sand and a fantastic housereef..take you snorkel, put your head in the water and WOW..what an underwaterparadise!! We saw sharks, turtles, beautiful colored fishes and not in the least "Mantarays", these last ones where really impressing!! Like big birds flying underwater!! Nature can be very beautiful!!!
Regarding the resort I can not say anything wrong about it, the staff was very friendly and correct, the restaurant was clean and the food was very good.
The villa was very clean and very cosy (I really liked it like this)...actually you do not need a huge bedroom and bathroom here, because you spent all your time outside to enjoy the sun and at night looking at the stars...
I am already dreaming about going back next year! I am waiting for the early bird offers, as soon as they arrive I will book again for 2011!! Don't hesitate, choose Angsana for your best price/quality!!

1  Thank broweyedgirl
Reviewed February 13, 2010

We have just returned from Angsana Ihuru, where we celebrated two 40th Birthdays, and we had a fantstic time! From the moment we arrived at Male airport, to the moment we had to leave it 9 days later, we experienced excellent service from all staff we encountered.

We had four people in our party, 2 sets of couples, and were the only ones on our boat transfer to the island, which was lovely as other people seemed to be quite crammed in on neighbouring boats. As has been written by others, we were offered much needed bottled water and cold flannels on the boat, and then sat back and enjoyed the short 25 minute journey. Upon our arrival we were greeted at the jetty and led to the bar area. Our suitcases were taken to our rooms whilst we were offered more water, cold flannels, and delicious coconut icecream. The Manager greeted us & explained how the resort worked, and how we were to just sit back, relax and enjoy!! The General Manager also stopped by to greet us, which we thought was a nice touch. We were then shown the island as we walked to our rooms.

Rooms: We had deluxe beach bungalows, numbers 4 and 14 on the East side. The bungalows were very nice, and we don't really understand people who have complained about the size of them and the outside bathrooms, we felt the bathrooms added a real sense of being in the tropics! The rooms have everything you need in them, and the bathrooms really do have shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, flannels etc. Our rooms were cleaned twice a day, with gifts left on the bed, we tipped our room host a couple of dollars, but not every day.
The bungalows lead out to what feels like your own private beach, but people do occasionally wander past. Most people are gracious and walk along by the sea, but you do get some guests who seem to think they have the divine right to practically walk up to your bungalow!!
The sunbeds provided are comfortable, but heavy to move!
You have a fresh bottle of water put in your bathroom each day, but we used this mainly for teeth brushing as they don't recommend you use the tap water.
There were ants in the bathroom, and we had a cockroach too, but our philosphy was that they were there along time before us!! They really didn't bother us, we just caught the cockroach (he was a big devil!) and threw him outside, we never saw any after him!

Beach: The beach is absolutely stunning. Its very clean, and as you would imagine, the water is crystal clear! Snorkelling gear is available for free. I'm not a sea person at all, but even I ventured out, somewhat pensively at first, to the reef! I'm so glad I did, it was absolutely fantastic. We saw so many fish, including scholls of barracuda, reef sharks, and beautiful coral. My partner saw a turtle and was able to touch it before it swam off! He also swam with manter rays (5 at one point!), saw other types of shark and eels.
One thing that some may see as a downside on the East side of the island is the wind. It was unseasonally windy whilst we were there. For us it was a welcome relief, as the West side was stifling!! However, my partner and I missed the afternoon sun, so we asked to move bungalows, and we were offered number 22 two days after we arrived. This room was perfect as it was still in the breeze, but got the afternoon sun. Therefore, we would recommend requesting rooms 21-25 on the West side.

Restaurant/Bar: This was our only gripe, not the food, but the drinks! The prices are astronomical! My partner is in the wine business, and he made a point of speaking to the Manager about the high charge of the wine. We did appreciate that everything is imported, and the wine list is excellent, but my partner felt there wasn't enough choice of wines at more affordable prices. We are wine lovers, and we drank wine everyday because we were on holiday, but we were aware that our bar bill was going to be high, and it certainly was!!
The food was of good quality, with a wide range of choice, and we had a fantastic waiter called Saeed who catered to our every whim!! None of us got dickie bellies, and one of our party is quite a 'fussy' eater. The chef was quite happy to cook her something that wasn't on the menu.
On my partner's Birthday, the hotel provided a homebaked Birthday cake at dinner, and Saeed dressed the table with balloons and confetti which we'd taken with us.
In the bar there is a lovely waiter called Weeray, who always greeted us with a warm smile and always had time for a chat. Saeed & Weeray (amongst others), work long hours, but were always cheerful and more than pleasant to all guests, and really did give our holiday that special touch.

Spa: All we can say is thank you to Joy & Nom! If you can, book a Duet massage with them, 3 hours of pure pleasure!! I had 4 massages in total, and my partner had 3, we couldn't stay away! They really are worth the money, and you will certainly have missed out if you don't have at least one whilst you're on the island.

Trips: I pre-booked the sunset cruise for my partner's Birthday, but unfortunately it was too windy to go on whilst we were there. We went to Banyan Island for the sting ray & turtle feeding. They're both very interesting, but you have to swim out to the turtle feeding, so take your snorkel and flippers if you're not a strong swimmer!
We also went night fishing and I have to say, it wouldn't be something I'd repeat! It was great fun, but it's really only for people with sea legs!! Unfortunately, most of the people on the trip were ill and we had to turn back early. This meant only one person caught a fish, but the resort did reimburse those of us that hadn't been ill, but had to return with the rest! Please note: this was because of the unseasonal weather conditions!

All-in-all, we had a fantastic time, and cannot wait to return to this beautiful island. We would definitely return to Angsana Ihuru rather than Banyan. Banyan was lovely, but we found it less intimate and more busy. However, the staff do play football on the beach every evening at 6pm'ish, and all are welcome. The boys in our group were sorry they hadn't found this out til the last night!
One bit of advice...I discovered Mosquito Milk before we went, and it really was fantastic, we didn't get bitten once, and I always get eaten alive! You can buy it online at chemistdirect.com
Finally, having viewed many websites on Ihuru, most suggest this is a 5* resort. We would say that whilst some don't agree with this on the basis of the size of the rooms, there is not a more pituresque island, that delivers first class service, and there is not a better house reef in the Maldives - that is a fact!

2  Thank Mary73Surrey
Reviewed February 13, 2010

Just back from a wonderful week at Angsana. We went for the snorkelling and it was fantastic. We saw manta rays, sharks, turtles and a huge range of parrot fish and wrasses.
My husband dived and said the operation was well run and enjoyable. The reef runs round the island and it was windy a lot of the time we were there. There is also quite a current in places and we had to call for help for 2 groups of snorkellers who got into difficulties.

The service was generally excellent. There was a slight problem when we arrived but this was dealt with and we were well compensated. The room was not luxurious but had all we needed including decent large towels. First rate massage at the spa.

Food was very good too with lots of fresh fruit and salads, grilled fish and chicken. When the evening meals were served rather than buffet the standard of presentation was high and menus interesting.

The guests were a good mix of English, French, German, Italian, Japanese. Mainly couples with whom we chatted a bit but all very low key which suited us just fine.

We flew BA WTP. Flight timings worked really well and seats good but BA let themselves down on the return flight when lots of in flight entertainment screens didn't work, the individual lights didn't work so you could hardly even see to read in some seats, food was poor and they ran out of cutlery for the second meal!

Don't go to Angsana for the night life, but if you want a relaxing holiday on a beautiful beach with good snorkelling, great food and congenial company, this is the place. Thoroughly recommended.

Date of stay: February 2010
Reviewed January 26, 2010

We have just returned from Angsana Ihuru and having read most of the previous reviews, I can understand why this resort has received such polarised views. Angsana is not a 5* luxury resort, but it is a very nice, simple resort that provides you with all the right ingredients to relax and have a nice time. My husband and I have been very fortunate to have visited quite a few Maldives resorts and have stayed in 4* and 5* resorts. Angsana ihuru is nowhere near on the same level of luxury, facilities and service as high-end resorts such as Soneva Fushi, but as our week full board cost less than half the amount we paid to stay bed and breakfast at Soneva Fushi, I wasn't expecting it to be. This is a good 4* resort, so you should shop around to get the best deal.

Most of what I would say about the resort has been said before, but here are my observations:

The Island
Like most Maldivian islands, Angsana Ihuru has a sun-rise and sun-set side and it is a matter of personal choice which you prefer. The sun-rise side was very windy the week were were there. Villas 1-18ish are on the sun-rise side, the rest of the villas will see the sun-set. I don't dive or enjoy snorkeling, but my husband said the snorkeling was fabulous and he saw a good diversity of marine life (including some sharks!)

Rooms
They are small, but comfortable. As they are the smallest rooms I have seen in the Maldives I was slightly disappointed, especially as there was insufficient hanging space and drawers. I also thought they were very carelessly thought out, as there was no electric socket near a mirror, no well lit mirror and no dressing table / place to sit to get ready. The bathroom was nice, but looked a bit tired and in need of a re-fit. However, outside of the villa was superb. We had a lovely shady garden, with a lovely expanse of beach beyond. We had villa 30 on the sun-set side of the island, which was very well located. There were 2 sunloungers on the beach and a swinging day bed in the garden, which we hardly used as it had no back to it, so you couldn't sit comfortably on it and it was only 4 foot wide so you couldn't lie on it!!

There is only one restaurant, that provides a buffet breakfast and lunch and alternates between a buffet dinner and a set-menu dinner. The food and service was good. My only gripe with the restaurant is that food on the buffet was not covered and was inadequately refridgerated. As I have caught food poisoning before in the Maldives from these types of buffets, I wouldn't eat any of the buffet food so was limited to the freshly cooked grill. However, the grill was really good, serving a range of fish and meat daily.

Bar
The bar was quiet most nights. It served a good range of drinks. We found drinks to be very expensive, even more expensive than you would find at the top resorts. The cheapest wine was $40 per bottle and beer was $6 per glass. Soft drinks were $5 for a 250 ml bottle and water was $3.50 per large bottle (but there was free drinking water in your villa each day)

Spa
The spa was fantastic and a real highlight. The treatments were extremely well thought out and brilliantly delivered.

The service was good and occasionally excellent. The manager was helpful in quickly resolving some minor issues for us on day 1. Our waiter and the bar staff were very personable and efficient and the grill chef, Adam, was superb.

The resort is fabulously located, being only 25 minutes by boat from Male (although it could be a million miles away as you cannot see it, hear aircraft etc), which is very welcome after a long flight, as you are straight onto a boat and at the resort quickly, rather than hanging around the seaplane terminal for hours waiting for your seaplane connection. It is also good that the island is just a 5 minute hop away from it's sister island 'Banyan Tree', which has a wider selection of activites, such as the sting-ray and turtle feeding. You can have dinner at the Banyan Tree for $25 pp extra. The Banyan Tree is slightly more upmarket and luxurious, so it's nice to experience both resorts.

This resort compares favourably with other resorts in this price range. I preferred it to Royal Island and Komandoo. However, it isn't a 5 star luxury resort (I have visited Anantara and Soneva Fushi both of which were in a different league), but you have to dig deep into your pockets if you want that kind of luxury!!

5  Thank ClareCheshire
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We went to Angsana Ihuru for Christmas and New Year 2009. We stayed in villa 30 on the West side of the island ( sunset ), if possible ask for this number, in my opinion this is the best located villa on this island-
The island it self is very little, 5 minutes and you are back home! Due to the massive sand erosion, there is a lot of sandbacks all around the island, but after a few days you do not seen them anymore. Compared to Kanuhura the luxury feeling and food is not as good, but the staff and snorkeling is much much better, and we go to the Maldives for the water activities, therefore we liked this island better.
The snorkeling is the best we have seen, a big varity of fish, sharks and turtels and og course corals in many coulours, simply wonderfull.
The rooms are quite small but have everything you need, they are cleaned twice a day.
We where a bit unlucky with the weather, and if it is raining a whole day it can be a little boring..
But we had a wonderfull time and the friendly staff will do everything to satisfy your needs.
It is not the last time we have visited Angsana Ihuru

Date of stay: December 2009