Fortune Inn Valley View
$51
$59
$51
Agoda.com
Manish Serviced Apartments(Manipal)(Great Value!)
$37
$41
Priceline
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsvalley viewrangoli restaurantsports complexthe heart of the citythe general managermanipal universitystar hotelcoffee shoppleasant staffhotel managementdecent place to stayswimming poolcomfortable staybreakfast buffettravel deskmr udaybusiness trip
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Definitely not a 5 stars hotel but the best choice in Manipal. The hotel is attached to the hotel college. The valley view was not grand, check in was fast and courteous, rooms were clean and well appointed but very basic as well.
The staff was friendly, they allowed me to smoke outside the coffee shop.
basic food but tasty.
Overall a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Choose a Valley View although there is not much to see.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 18, 2012

In full disclosure, this was my first stay in a hotel in India so I only have international standards to compare it to.

The staff in general went out of their way to help me, but there were a few slip ups. For example, room service were happy make me an omelet outside the room service hours (masala omelet, nice!), but about 70% of the items I ordered at actual meal times were “not available today”. This became a bit frustrating but they made recommendations from what was available. Don’t bother trying to order anything familiar from the “world” menu, everything from soup to salad and sandwiches was either missing key ingredients or so heavily drenched in mayonnaise I couldn’t eat it. The Indian dishes they recommended for me were also heavy but tasty. The room service guy on the phone asked where I was from and wanted to come up to my room for a chat. ?!?

The lobby area stank but my room smelt OK. Had two single beds (too hard), tea coffee and minibar. Wifi was very fast when it was working but a few times was simply “not working now, try in an hour”. They said no laundry service on Sundays but the staff were happy to iron my sari anyway and the receptionist was delighted to come up help me drape it.

The gym was fabulous. It’s next door to the hotel and was absolutely huge, complete with an indoor running track, squash courts etc. Reception will give you a complimentary pass but what they don’t tell you is: Gym is closed from 2pm to 3pm for ‘rest’ (would have been helpful information when I picked up my pass at 2pm), and you need to take your own towel and enough water for your workout. The sign-in and sign-out process is a pain (6 times for one visit!) with a lot of VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN UNIFORM standing around but it was worth it.

I didn’t enjoy the area around the hotel much, tried to go for a walk a few times and never lasted long. Friends told me it wasn’t safe after dark so I wasn’t impressed to see security fast asleep when I got home from a wedding event late one night.

Check out took way too long. Everything from the rate to the room service seemed really cheap to me, but I can't compare it with other Indian hotels.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the "valley" but they will be noisy if there's a function on outside.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
FIVV, General Manager at Fortune Inn Valley View, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

December 26, 2012

Greetings from Fortune Inn Valley View, Manipal!

At the outset, I would like to acknowledge your feedback in Tripadvisor.com. I am indeed distressed to know of your recent experience at Fortune Inn Valley View.

While I regret the inconvenience you have experienced, may I assure you that I am investigating the causes for me to personally address. I would additionally request you to treat this as an isolated incident and not a reflection of our normal services.

At Fortune Inn Valley View, it is our constant endeavour to provide you with high standards of personalized service and efficiency to ensure superior customer experience.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you once again, when we can demonstrate to you how your feedback has resulted in immediate correction and re-establish our credibility with you.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Overall satisfied with the hotel // Check in procedure was smooth. Good buffet breakfast // easily available transportation facility... Good variety of buffet dinner.

Best is the staff attitude towards the client.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Reviewed November 13, 2012

True to its name my room had the view of the valley. But with the overcast sky I couldn't enjoy much of the view. The staff were very courteous and helpful. Though I speak Hindi, the room house keeping attendant's language sounded arrogant ( may not be deliberate and can't expect more or blame.) The room was small with very little moving area. My door had to be opened with the assistance of the maintenance staff on every occasion as the card wont work. this was irritating. And above all the mosquitoes. When complained, a man appeared with mosquito repellent which I refused to install as I didn't want to get sedated for the mosquitoes to enjoy. The break fast time was crowded and there were no immediate refills of items and the lone man at the stove wasn't sufficient to meet the demands and I had to satisfy myself with just two iddlies and a coffee. May be the the management will take note of these.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with the view of the valley.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
FIVV, General Manager at Fortune Inn Valley View, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Sir,

Greetings from Fortune Inn Valley View, Manipal !

It is in this regard that I am writing this response, requesting you to kindly provide us your name, address and the period of stay with us. This will definitely help us in investigating further into the causes and for quality improvement.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Its probably the best hotel in Manipal. But that does not mean they can charge exorbitant prices. The price in fact is comparable to the Westin in Pune.

The rooms are decent, like any other 4-star hotel should have. The Cosmo Cafe has good food. The staff was helpful.

Beware: The billing might not be right. Please make sure you check every item on the bill. I was running late and hence did not have time to cross check the bill, but they had charged extras which I hadnt signed for.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank SahilJain11
FIVV, General Manager at Fortune Inn Valley View, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear Mr. Sahil,

Greetings from Fortune Inn Valley View, Manipal !

While we thank you for opting to stay at Fortune Inn Valley View, Manipal from 9th June to 11th June 2012, we also appreciate your feedback on the hotel services. It is our constant endeavour to provide quality service to our guests and feedback like yours come in handy for correction in our product offer. Thank you for your positive comments on the food and staff members.

I would like to thank you for giving our Front Office Manager a patient hearing when he had contacted you and explained about the said extra charges.

I do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you once again, when we can demonstrate how your feedback has resulted in immediate correction and re-establish our credibility with you.

Thanking you,