Review Highlights
A must do

Firstly, we have to thanks our tour operator and guide Cham for all the hard work he put into... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
johnbV7950ES
Chiang Mai, Thailand
via mobile
Wonderful introduction to Laos

We were picked up from Chang Rai exactly when promised, and helped across the border into Laos... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Chris A

All reviews pak beng pak ou caves chiang rai slow boat relaxing trip public boat two days thai border border crossing boat captain beautiful boat hill tribe village english speaking guide visa process dropped off low season great trip
Reviewed December 25, 2015

We were a couple
In fact the only couple on the cruise ...we were treated so kindly by all
The guide helped us threw the boarder
The trip was the highlight of our adventure in Laos
The captains wife made fabulous meals
We went on a reduced special price and truely got more than we ever expected

Date of experience: December 2015
2  Thank Heather M
Reviewed December 19, 2015

My husband and I are both well traveled, and this was unequivocally one of the best experiences for both of us. They picked us up from our hotel the first morning right on time and the adventure began. Because we traveled up the Mekong from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai our boat was empty except for us - apparently most travelers head down the river, so this could be a tip for anyone wanting a less full boat. Our guide, Kae, was excellent. He was very knowledgeable about the river, the people living on the river and the Laos culture. The food was also amazing, and our guide was able to tell us about the ingredients in every dish and how they were prepared - definitely going to try a few of the recipes myself at home, although I don't expect I'll be able to pull them off with such perfection as our on-board cook, as she's undoubtedly been preparing these dishes her whole life. I highly recommend this tour to anyone looking for beautiful scenery, in-depth knowledge about the Lao culture and landscape and overall a very, very special experience. I only wish I could give it more than 5 stars!

Date of experience: December 2015
5  Thank AudraViajera
Houmpheng D, Owner at Mekong Smile Cruise, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2015

Thank you very much for the review. I am glad that you enjoyed the Mekong River Cruise and that you had a very nice and special experience.

Reviewed November 25, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I just completed the slow boat trip down the Mekong. Smile cruise were excellent right from the start. They were responsive to emails in a timely manner, and delivered as promised. Pick up at our hotel was prompt and from that point on they did a great job of looking after us. Our guide San was knowledgeable and spoke pretty good English. The tours provided with the package were good, appropriate in length and interesting. Shuttle to our hotel at the end was comfortable and well organized.

I would definitely do it again with them.

3  Thank Bill H
Reviewed November 25, 2015

The transfer from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai was confusing, and done by minivan staff with little or no English language knowledge. We only got a short 15 min. in Chiang Rai to visit the famous Vat Tong Khun. I was dropped off in Chiang Khong at the wrong hotel, and it took over two hours before being helped to the correct hotel, which was very nice. Pick up from hotel, drop off at border, pick up by boat guide all o.k. Very nice, clean riverboat with excellent staff. Only one Hmong village visit, where each kid wanted to sell their bracelets for every minute that we were ashore. As passengers we agreed that some benefits, like clothing, food or other useful things should be given to the villagers for these tourist visits. You might want to share with your own people. Lunches on board were excellent. Hotel in Pakbeng o.k. Day 3 we stopped in another village, but again no local handicrafts as said in your flyer. There we passengers offered pens and paper for the school children. Stop at Pak Ou cave and van pick up in L.P. o.k. Overall a great way to relax for a few days in amazing surroundings.

2  Thank DutchessFrenske
Reviewed November 23, 2015

We decided only the day before departure that we would take a Mekong Smile cruise from Luang Prabang to the Friendship bridge on the Thai border. We were recommended the cruise by some fellow travellers, who had travelled into Laos by this route. We were fortunate to be the only people on board, and had the most relaxing and enjoyable trip. Our guide, Pheng, was courteous, helpful and attentive. The couple who drove the boat and prepared the food were delightful. The food was tasty and generous, and our overnight stay on Pakbeng was fine. Overall, our two day trip was a very restful and enjoyable experience.

3  Thank 120trish