“Make your stay in Huay Xai memorable”
Review of Daauw Home

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huay Xai
Daauw Home
Ranked #1 of 13 Huay Xai B&B and Inns
“Make your stay in Huay Xai memorable”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed two nights at Daauw Home in Hauy Xai. It really made an impression on us. Not only does the place looks wonderful. The stories of and good work Lara and her husband do for the Hill Tribe women are really inspiring. A great place to stay in Huay Xai where your money and voluntary effort really can make a difference. Also the communal diner is one of the best I had when visiting Laos! Next time in Laos we are planning on staying longer!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlexVrees

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Thursday Island, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This place was memorable, firstly due to its extremely good cause for which they are very devoted to and it seems almost every penny you spend goes directly towards it. Secondly we really enjoyed the huge authentic feasts they served up at a good price and at night we washed it down with a few beer laos and some good chat around the fire ! The bungalows are quirky, comfortable and have everything you need.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I wanted to go on the Gibbon Experience as the crowning end to four months travel in SE Asia early 2013. Because I was pressed for time I was to fly in to Huay Xai but the Gibbon office would not be open when I landed. Therefore I checked TA to see where to stay one night. I found Kajsiab Project Laos or Daauw Home as "interesting" but unusual? So they picked me up at the airport (Va Her picked me up) and in a few minutes I was at my bungalow knowing I would NOT take Gibbon Experience but spend my last 8 nights volunteering at this home that is a shelter for Hmong women. I worked cutting down bamboo, painting roof panels and washing dishes late into the evening. Every person I met left me humbled and eager to look at my life in a different way. In six months I will return to volunteer again, to see the lovely people that I was so fortunate to meet, and to look for more ways that I can help them in their work. Check out their website and consider emailing Lara about your opportunities there. PS I rented the bungalow with hot water. You don't need hot water. :) Steve

Room Tip: This is a bungalow. It is rustic. I stayed four months from bungalow rustic to five star and this...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 1000steve
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We came across this place whilst looking for somewhere to stay for 1 night before the slow boat trip. For a wooden bungalow the accommodation was one of the cleanest places we stayed in Laos and it was nice to be able to contribute towards a worthwhile project. Exploring the basic town of Houay Xai, I think we made a good choice, if you don't mind staying somewhere a little different then I would recommend staying at Daauw Home

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We found this place by accident, we're so glad we did. The bungalow accommodation is lovely & very clean. The atmosphere is very welcoming & you have the chance to eat with the family there at night. The food was brilliant & we're glad we could contribute. We're only sorry we didnt know about this place in advance as we would have stayed & done some volunteering.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Grobbendonk, Belgium
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Based on the positive reviews we stayed here for one night. Accomodation is not so good, you end up in a very basic wooden hut, you sleep under a mosquito net with holes in it, and in general it's not that clean.
In general, the people are relatively friendly, when we arrived however, they looked at us with a look of 'who are they', and they didn't help us for the first 5 minutes, "sit, 5 minutes". When you connect with them during multiple days, I'm sure you can get a fantastisch relationship with them and really get to know them, we as backpackers just ate in a restaurant in the night and moved on the next day, and our experience was that we didn't have a warm welcome or a nice bed to sleep...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis H
around the world
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Nice guesthouse with basic and clean bungalows and really friendly an smily people.
Besides it's always good to know that your money goes to people in need (Hmomg people leaving in the mountains, orphans and ostracized women.
Should we ever visit Lao again we go back to this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Day Waterfront Hotel
Day Waterfront Hotel
#1 of 7 in Chiang Khong
Ibis Styles Chiang Khong Riverfront

Been to Daauw Home? Share your experiences!