“Fine but don't expect too much for £7!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sabaydee Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huay Xai
Sabaydee Guesthouse
Ranked #9 of 12 Huay Xai B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Fine but don't expect too much for £7!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Lonely Planet gives this hotel a top rating and this is slightly misleading! This guesthouse is absolutely fine for a stopover before the Gibbon Experience but is exactly what I'd expect for the £7 we paid. Showers are hot, rooms are large and relatively clean. Bed linen had a few suspect marks on it, as did the towels, and the shower was a bit rough around the edges. This is standard for a budget guesthouse and so ive no complaints....but LP is in danger of raising expectations. This place is no better nor worse than the other distinctly average guesthouses (BAP, Riverside) in village. Main selling point is that it is 10m from Gibbon reception and has decent wifi.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

By no stretch of the imagination is this place clean. Yes it is neat, but it is not clean. The sheets & towels are clean, but that is it. We stayed here before and after The Gibbon Experience and due to the good reviews online, we thought we'd give it a go. I can't compare it to other places in the area, as we booked here both nights and to be honest, after walking around it looked like this may have been one of the better places. It's difficult as we needed to book online as we were on a tight schedule and there was very little available online as you would expect.

The only way to book this online was through Lao Airlines which we did. The first time we arrived, they didn't know of our booking, but gave us a room anyway.. after The Gibbon Experience, we turned up again and they didn't know of our booking, but gave us a room again. I had prepaid online with Lao Airlines and they didn't seem to know anything about it. I am not complaining about this because they let us have the room, but if booking online, just be aware of this. I searched for a contact number for them to call them prior to arriving, but couldn't find a phone number to call them on. The people that run it speak basically no English, so it was difficult to communicate.

The hot water works and there is decent pressure, so that was good.

I have paid a lot less for way better quality than this - it is overpriced for what it is - but there are not many options and if it's just for a stay either side of The Gibbon Experience, it is certainly sufficient, but I am not going to say it's great value for money or that it is clean, because it's not.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Huay Xai hotels

Bundoora, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

It is slightly more expensive, but has air con or fan and nice rooms. If you are coming off the gibbon experience it can be nice to get a place that is a bit better. Also has a very cool balcony area on the top floor looking over the river.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill M
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Nothing wrong with the place. The rooms are tidy and plenty of room. Bathrooms showers are fine with hot water. There is a TV but not sure about channels. Location is good in main area (Not that place is too big) Staff were there but thats about all the were. internet doesn't work on top floors so try get a room down lower and it might work.

Room Tip: Internet does not work in rooms on top floors
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

For where you are in the world, this place is great quality! Having to walk down the hall to use wifi was forgiven considered you're in a tiny town in Laos!!
However a room without Aircon was 80,000 kip (8 USD). I understand the room had a tv but that's not what you would prefer over wifi in the room, so really the room should be priced around 50,000 kip.
However the view of Thailand is good and breakfast is decent and great value. Should I pass through Huay Xai again ill head straight for Sabaydee!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank JacMBrisbane
Thunder Bay, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

This guest house was rated as "Top Choice" by the SEA Lonely Planet (published July 2012) travel guide, but it did not have the described amenities so things have obviously changed. We picked this guest house because it had Internet and that was important as we had to have email during this particular night to address some things back home. We were told that the Internet was "broke" and it sounds like there are no plans to "fix" it. The guide book also said that they include breakfast, but that is no longer the case. The hot water heater heater in our shower didn't work -- no biggie, we've taken cold showers. Our bathroom was not particularly clean -- left over soap from the last three occupants and someones old flip flops. None of these are alone so bad (except the Internet which we really needed throughout the course of the night), but for what we paid (higher price than we've paid anywhere in the last three weeks) we expected more. I will say the beds were comfortable, but given the other problems they get a poor rating from me. I think that for the money there are probably better options in Huay Xai.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Like the other reviews say, Sabaydee is "clean and convenient," "basic but clean," "simple" and "cheap".

Let me just say, be sure to check-in early if possible so that you can get a room upstairs - off the ground floor. I stayed at Sabaydee for two nights. The first night, I checked in late, and all they had left was a room on the ground floor. I didn't think anything of it - my room was just OK - until I moved up to the third floor my second day. The rooms upstairs are first-rate compared to the ones on the first floor. My third room floor had a nice view of the Mekong, two beds, a big bathroom, and, well, just felt nice. Really, this whole place is pretty great; especially when you consider it only costs 10 USD a night.

Anyways, a side note: if you plan on going on the Gibbon Experience trip, you can leave your bags at Sabaydee. There's a big closet just off the dining room on the first floor. Though, they don't lock the door, so leaving your bags here is maybe a leap of faith, so to speak. That said, when I came back three days later, all my things were just as I had left them. Also, just in case you plan on showing up in Huay Xai a day or two before your Gibbon party leaves because you want to tour the gem mines, I want to say that, when I visited, none of the tour companies were still offering gem mine tours, and I don't think you can visit the mines on your own. Though, even if you get to Huay Xai early and have time to kill (but can't visit the mines), there's still plenty to do. The old French fort is definitely worth a visit and the temple just up the stairs across from the landing dock, though a little gaudy-looking, is a nice place to relax and talk with monks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
#4 of 12 in Huay Xai
Phonevichith Guesthouse
Phonevichith Guesthouse
#2 of 12 in Huay Xai

Been to Sabaydee Guesthouse? Share your experiences!