Iberostar Playa Blanca
Hotel Pelicano(Cayo Largo)
$158
$108
  • Breakfast included
Sol Cayo Largo(Cayo Largo)
$204
$180
galahotels.com
  • Pool
Hotel Playa Larga(Playa Larga)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Pio Cua(Playa Giron)
TripAdvisor
2,084 results
All reviewsplaya blancadaiquiri barchickenfishmain buildingpizzabungalow roombeach bara la carterepeat guestsocean viewhot dogswhite sandsandwichesking size bedhotel beachtowel art
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Cayo Largo Cuba and our stay at the Playa Blanca. We arrived on July 8th. Winds were high which made the temperature quite pleasant. We stayed in one of the bungalows 4011 which was quite rustic. There was a problem with the toilet, which kept running and we did report it but it was never fixed. The room though was fine for our needs. There was a television in the room but the likelihood of finding an English speaking program was minimal. Why you ask would we want to watch TV? We did go to the shows which were enjoyable but sadly were eaten alive by mosquitoes thus driving us into our room. Also during the day we were frequently attacked by rather large flies which took big bites. So my advice to those who wish to go to Cayo Largo Cuba is to bring lots of bug spray.

I noticed someone mentioned flies in the enclosed restaurant. I have been to several locations in Cuba and have found flies are an issue everywhere.

Some people complain about the Cuban food but I manage to find things I always enjoy. In the morning I would have a two egg omelette with cheese and onion, coffee, some fruit and was thoroughly satisfied. Lunch time we would go to the snack bar for pizza or the Ranchon by the water for rice and beans, delicious buns, chicken etc. We had two a la carte meals and we both enjoyed them. We had red wine which was OK.

Tipping is expected now, a big change from years ago. So make sure you bring extra pesos for bartenders, waiters, pool guy,and person who does your room each day. Also don't forget your 25 pesos each to get out of the country. Rum is inexpensive to bring back with you but remember what you are allowed to bring back into Canada per person.

Trip to Paradiso beach is ok but again bugs are a real nuisance while waiting for the trolley/train to pick you up to take you to the marina for boat ride to the beach. Once you arrive at the beach it is a mad rush to grab chairs. The sand is very deep and is quite a distance from the actual water. There were many shelters to sit under but in my opinion they need to supply more chairs as we ended up sitting in the sand.

The weather was great even though Hurricane Chantelle was in the area. Some overcast days and a little rain but everyday gave us sun.

The pool area was well maintained and enjoyed. We ventured down to the beach but I prefer calmer waters and they definitely were not calm. I don't know if it was the time of year or it is always that way. I think the beach is usually wider judging by pictures others have taken but when we were there the beach was narrow. There is a stairway by the Ranchon restaurant with a deck and from pictures you could go down to the beach there but not while we were there as the water level came right up to the stairs. Again probably different given the time of year.

Crabs are a given here, from spider like tiny ones to much larger ones. So a suggestion would be to take a flashlight with you at night. Iguanas are a regular sight around the resort also and I find them fascinating. They do let you get fairly close to take photos. There are several cats around should you care to share any of your food. Some are skittish and others friendly.

Another good reason for a flashlight is, we did have a power outage for about an hour making it an awesome time to enjoy the stars.

Staff are wonderful here. They speak Spanish, French, Italian and English. We do try to speak Spanish when we go to Cuba. Words like hello, thank you, how are you, how to order food, good day etc.

My husband and I went to enjoy some well deserved R & R, swim, eat, drink and just be together. Given the cost for this holiday, flight, room, food, beverages, sun and fun, I think it was well worth it. People will always have something to complain about. We had a great time and will go back again. You can't find a better deal than an all inclusive trip to Cuba.

Room Tip: Our Bungalow was close to the beach but didn't have an ocean view. Bungalow rooms on the second floor would be preferable.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Carolanne R
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Hello there. I am Brazilian, but I live in Quebec, Canada. I have travelled all around Brazil, Canada, and USA. I planned this trip to Cuba to enjoy the blue sea, but also to taste some NATURAL flavors, prepared by somebody else (I cook at home), because I was tired of the Quebec industrialized restaurants. I stayed in this hotel from Jun, 24 to Jul, 01 2013.

Food:

I already new that the food in Cuba was not that good, so I was not expecting that much. It is true! Always the same... But the biggest problem was the amount of flies ON the food... Unbelievable and disgusting! They were even in the closed restaurant. I could not stop thinking that the breakfast fruits, full of flies and its eggs, would be served during the lunch time because most of the people would not eat it. I didn't! I had to eat only hot food, no fresh fruits or vegetables, because they looked disgusting. They have an employee there that makes pasta in front of you, another one that makes the pizza, and a third one that cooks meat. I ate that almost everyday. "It kills the germs", I kept saying to myself. But unfortunately, that is served only at dinner.

And the second worst part: they do not have NATURAL juices! I could not expect to drink the same awful sirup drinking options that I have in North America restaurants... I was in an all inclusive and all that I wanted was some real and natural blended fruit juice!!! Forget it! They have: pink sweet water that they call strawberry juice; white very sweet water that they call pina colada; some other water with some other colorants that they call something else... And they have some awful soft drinks. To make the things worse, we had to stick with the hotel's food, because there is no restaurants in the small island of Cayo Largo.

Service:

It was ok! The receptionist are nice, and the ladies that clean the room also. The others, well... they have an awful "give me tip" attitude. For instance, the moment we arrived at the hotel, one employee almost pushed us so he could carry our luggage then he went upstairs with us, entered our room, and said: "it's five canadian dollars for each luggage!". "Are you kidding me!!!". I hatted that attitude. Guests usually give one dollar for their help, but nobody is obliged, and there's not a price!!! I already new that, so it really made me angry at that person...

Maybe if I was not born in Brazil, I would have another feeling towards that attitude. But in Brazil, there is no such thing as tip! Your salary is what you get, and people that works in hotel, works pretty well. You do not have to spoil people to have a good service. I am sorry if it hurts your feelings... I am an educator of 8 (EIGHT) children aged between 18 month and 30 months. I work more than 8 hours a day with them (and I have more had work at home). Do you know how much work is that?! I do not get tips and I do not complain about it at all! I don not even think that i should receive a tip in order to offer a better service to the family that gave it to me! It's ridiculous!

Besides that, Cuban men have a disgusting attitude towards women, not very different from the Brazilian men's, but in Brazil it is very hard to find that kind of attitude in a hotel.... It so not professional! They would be fired very fast!

Beach:

I do not know about you, but when I think about Caribbean beach, I have a natural blue swimming pool in my mind... But that's is not what you will get in front of the hotel. There, the waves are so strong that you can even surf. They offer a transport to Sirena beach, which is beautiful and blue, but is not a very shallow beach. The problem about going to that beach is that it is "far" from the hotel (you can not go have a snack and come back to swim) and the transport is not always available. Besides that, you risk losing the ride if many people have the same idea as you... There are not enough room in the train and in the boat to everybody. If that happens, you will have to pay 4 dollars a day to take the taxi, if 3 more people decide to go with you. If not, you will have to pay 10 dollars a day. If you decide to stay in the hotel, maybe you will not have a place to sit around the pool, because they do not have enough deck chair... Oh! You also risk to sit on the sand at the beach, since they do not have enough deck chair there as well.

"Train" schedule: Departure: 8:45 am, 10:00 am, and 11:30 (so you can not have your lunch and go, because lunch starts at 11:30). Return: 1:00 pm (everybody that wants to have lunch has to take this one! What if it not enough room available? pay the taxi or pay a lot to have your lunch at the beach bar), 3:30 pm, and 5;00 pm.

The most beautiful beach there is Paraiso beach, which is great! But like the whole Cayo Largo island, lacks infrastructure to well accommodate tourists. You only get there by taxi.
----

I will definitely not return to this hotel nor to Cayo Largo. I do not believe the other hotels in the island are better, at least they do not look any better, and i would not risk a bad food experience without having the options to eat somewhere else since there are no restaurants in the island.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Vanessa-daCosta
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have recently gone to playa blanca for a week, where the first couple days were rainy. However as the week went by the weather progressed and the entire island was sunny. The quality of the service at this hotel is excellent, every staff is friendly and no matter what time of the day it is it did not matter whether how tired they were, they gave the best service possible with a smile. I enjoyed the nightly entertainment, the dancers are very well prepared. The crabs all over the resort was quite a site to see. The food was by far the best in Cuba, as most resorts re-make their food into different dishes. I enjoyed the eggs in the morning, the cook for the eggs knew my order by the time the week ended. The snack bar also has great food, however i would suggest bringing your own ketchup. Also, bringing your own syrup or peanut butter for breakfast would help aswell. The pools were maintained very well, as well as the entire resort itself. The rancho however was my only disappointment, as the food lacked flavor and quantity. To make up for this, we went to the buffet which was open quite late. Scootering around the island is recommended, as well as seeing the turtles at the marina, and travelling to Playa paraiso via boat. I am very pleased about my visit to this hotel, a lot of the guests are returning guests, and i was truly able to see why this was. I recommend this hotel to everyone in any age! Playa blanca is a wonderful place!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank C R
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were at this resort from May 24th – 31st and paid a very good price with a last minute deal. The resort was nice even though we were not that many travellers, the resort was pretty empty. We stayed in the Hotel part on the third floor with an ocean view, our room was big and very clean. Pools are nice, the beach was ok but lots of weeds, they were there in the morning to clean all the weeds but not too long after the weeds were all back, the water was also very active lots of big waves so made it hard to swim….we are usually beach lovers but this time around we did a lot of pool, one of the pool had salt water which was great.

As for the food well it wasn`t that great and we are not picky eaters at all but we told ourselves that this was low season, like other reviews mention not lots of fruits and vegetables. The International A la Carte was actually good and we liked the Rancheon for lunch, your choice of meat which you had to order (chicken, pork or they had fish) along with this there was a buffet. The Snack bar was ok, we loved the pizza and fries there that`s mostly what we hate there. At night for the Buffet, the pasta was good and also the pizza made just for you. The drinks were good however some nights they ran out of wine and beer, again we understand since it`s low season…I am sure that this does not happen during high season. For the A la Carte Restaurant you are only aloud to reserve 2 for the week, you need to go in the lobby for around 9:30 in the morning.

We rented a jeep at the Hotel for $40.00 for the day and was well worth it, for the first stop we went to the 11th most beautiful beach in the world called Playa Paraiso Beach (rated out of 25 by trip advisor), this beach was just true paradise, definitely needs to be seen, make sure you don`t miss it. We then went to Playa Serena which is a bit further than the Paraiso, this beach was also nice but nothing like the other one….honestly by renting the jeep you get to see so much more and you get to spend the time you want at the places you want.. We also visited the Turtle farm which that was also very nice to see, the marina etc..

For travellers that like to keep active, there is a gym and you can also get a bike for exercise around the resort. The staff were great and very friendly but the entertainment was just average.

The weather was just perfect, very warm and sunshine all week except the two last days it was more cloudy but still got to tan.

We really had a great trip and made really good friends, this is a very quiet place to enjoy and relax. We will come back but next time try this resort in the high season.

Thank you Gran Caribe Playa Blanca for making our stay memorable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Pat-Chantal
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Traveled for the first time to Cuba May 20-27th 2013. It was my first experience at an all inclusive. My boyfriend & I are both in our 40's so thought it was about time! We flew on Canjet without any problems. I have nothing to compare to regarding this resort but have been away to hotels & on a couple of cruises. Anyway we arrived quickly to the hotel. Live music, fresh drinks while we waited to check in. The front desk was quick to get us settled in & no time we were in our room. We stayed in a garden view, second floor bungalow. It was great as we still had a nice view of the ocean from our balcony. The bungalow was nice & close to everything but would think that in the busier season it would be better to be farther down. The resort only had 130 guests so it was very quiet, very relaxing. We found the staff to be great. We didn't talk to all of them but formed a friendship with some. Shout out to Mac our bartender & Julio our beach chair guy and Roberto our Hola Sun tour guide.
The beach was beautiful although not huge it was sufficient. If you walked far enough down there was a beach bar but they didn't have any beer. Not good for beer drinkers. Also there was some nudity if that kind of stuff bothers you don't go down that way.
The food was great. They have salt & pepper & ketchup. The food doesn't have a lot of seasonings but it's tasty & there was lots of variety. The entertainment was excellent every night. The dancers & band are amazing. There isn't a disco on the resort but they do have a taxi service for 2 pesos per person that will take you to the marina.
All & all will be going back. The weather was great, it was very relaxing & we liked that there wasn't that many people at the resort. For the money it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple