Hotel Pelicano
Sol Cayo Largo(Cayo Largo)
$204
$183
Melia.com
  • Pool
$122
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Playa Larga(Playa Larga)
  • Pool
Pio Cua(Playa Giron)
Guanaba's nest(Playa Giron)
  • Beachfront
3,022 results
All reviewszun zunla yanalobby barpizzafishchickenentre mareskids poolkids clubplaya sirenabeautiful beachbeach restauranta la cartebuffet restaurantocean viewpasta barany questions
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 1, 2011

We've been home for 3 days and are ready to go back! We went to Cayo Largo as a group of six, one couple being seasoned travelers to Cuba, and my husband who has travelled world wide, the rest of us were first timers. The Sol Pelicano resort and especially it's staff made this vacation far exceed what we ever expected! To name everyone of the staff (now our friends) that made this trip so memorable would be difficult to do but i'm going to try!

Lets start with Rene, Jorge, Martin, Israel, Yamira, Luis Rios and all the staff in the lobby who took such good care of us and who we got to know and love; Rocky, Angelo, rene, Yoel, Wyianka and everyone at the buffet who worked so hard to make sure that everyone is happy, very full and feel welcome; Donaldo (My new "other" husband :)) and Yanny at the Ranchero restaurant. Best lunch ever, great service and overlooking the carribean; The amazing Animation team including Jenny and Daury who have so much energy and love what they do! Fidel and Yandy at the Pizzeria...loved them! Ydelio and his band (awesome music); the gardeners and cleaning staff Marco, Luis, and Ileana were awesome too. And i can't forget to mention Heriberto, the smartest man to ever work the towel and recreation counter. Do yourself a favor and take the time to have a conversation with him! Brilliant and truly lovely!

All of us have left this vacation with a great love for the Cuban people in general, no where will you find more loving, warm and generous people and we are counting the days until we can get back there again.

I remember looking this hotel up when first investigating a vacation and seeing that some people had come back 15, 16 and even 17 times. To be honest, i thought they had lost it. We get it now!!!! The food was awesome, really didn't expect that, the rooms were good, the service was everything we hoped for and more, the weather was amazing and the beaches.....ohhhh the beaches! Just like all the pictures, only better! Went on the catamaran excursion to iguana island, snorkelling and lobster supper at sunset...amazing!!! Thanks Diane (our Nolitour Tour Guide) for recommending this to us!

If you get the chance, do yourself a favor and go! You will not regret it.
By the way, if you go....go to the lobby bar and see if Anita is working. If she is, give her a big hug and tell her that her good friend Leiann from Canada loves her and misses her very much!

Oh...and our seasoned Cuba travellers and our world traveller loved it so much they don't see the need to ever go anywhere else. Either do we!

Viva la Cuba

2  Thank MissionCuba
solpelicano, General Manager at Hotel Pelicano, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2011

Dear Guest,
We had read your impressions about your vacations and on behalf of Sol Peliciano’ staff we would like to thank you for publishing your comments about the service, Cayo Largo beach, the good attention of your new friends at the hotel and for sure we are going to let them know that you wish you could return soon.
Kind regards,
Fabrizio Testoni
Sol Pelicano Hotel

Reviewed February 28, 2011

The Sol Pelicano was just alright.

The room was basic but comfortable. The bathroom was something I would expect to see at a 2 star resort.

The only food worth eating was at the buffet. The buffet had a pretty good selection of food, including grilled beef, chicken and sea food, pasta, and various other items. The food did change a bit every day, and I was always able to find something worth eating. I did get sick for 2 days though, and I question some of their hygienic practices. The drinks were decent, no complaints.

The beach was beautiful, and I enjoyed swimming in the waves. We did have problems finding chairs and shade on the beach on some days. A few palm trees on the beach would have been nice.

Pool was large, but not the nicest pool I have seen. The pool did seem clean though.

Entertainment was good some nights, and not so good other nights.

Our maid that cleaned our room always did an excellent job. The staff at the buffet were also exceptional. Other than that, service was hit or miss - especially at the Pizzeria and Zun Zun.

Overall, I still enjoyed my vacation, but it is important to keep in mind that it is a budget vacation. With so many high ratings of the Sol Pelicano on Trip Advisor lately, I think I got my hopes up a bit.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Travelaveler
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We just got back from Sol Pelicano few couple of days ago. We had a nice time, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is ok, although my 18 month old son got a food poisoning there and was sick for 3 days. So watch out if you are going with small kids.
There is no fresh juice at breakfast, and even if the omletts are good I can't eat them everyday, and other breakfast things weren't very good. Only white bread and not much fruit selection.
Lunch and dinner were OK, but pretty repetitive and at the time I was there they had no garlic in the resort so everything pretty bland. The only very good meal I had was at the a la carte restaurant Yanna.
Sol Pelicano is not a bad place to go but maybe I am discovering that this whole resort scene is not up my alley anymore and maybe another style of vacation is more appropriate for me. If you love resorts you would probably be satisfied with Sol Pelicano.
The beach is very nice, but the ocean is usually pretty rough so not very inviting for small children, but if you go to the virgin beaches the water is a lot calmer there and you can do some great swimming.
Our room was always kept pretty clean and the hotel is well kept in general.
We don't usually participate in the entertainment but from what I've seen it wasn't very good, and the nightly shows weren't very good either.
Some nights it was hard to sleep since at 10 pm they start their nightly entertainment and it would get pretty load. Our room was suppose to be in the quiet section of the resort so I can't imagine what it would be if you were in the noisy area.
The drinks weren't very good there, mostly sweet cocktails made with artificial juices, they didn't know what a vodka martini is :(

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Sol Pelicano allows an easy access to Cayo Largo. Beaches are beautiful although windy most of the time, waves beeing frequently to strong to swim.

As concerns the hotel itself, it is an average Cuban hotel: Landscaping little developed, old buildings, food acceptable. Service was excellent except for room cleaning service. We recommend highly room with ocean view (supplement) 4706.

We have encountered a very displeasant situtation all week long at the hotel: not enough sunumbrellas, not enough chairs (unconfortable too).

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Just returned home from our 2nd vacation to Sol Pelicano (went also in 2010). As last time, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The beaches just can't be compared!! Just amazing!!
The hotel staff, in particular the groundskeepers and maids are so pleasant!! Always a smile and a "hola"! The desk staff can be a little "less helpful" at times, but on the most part, pleasant.
As we had already visited this hotel last year, we were hoping we would get a room in the same area...(this hotel is made up of "blocks" of buildings).
However, we were disappointed when we were given a room in the 5400 block. This particular group of buildings (5000's) are the farthest from the beach, and you somewhat feel forgotten. Also, our particular room's balcony looked out onto a pile of rubble and concrete blocks! We tried to go back to reception immediately before even unpacking anything, and ask if we could change rooms to the 4000 block (which we had last year). They said they could not do anything that evening to come back following morning.
We went back at precisely 9am the following morning as instructed, and we still were told they could not switch our room. This was frustrating as some rooms were awaiting guests who were to arrive later that day, and it could easily be changed. We left reception very disappointed.
We did meet up with our wonderful TMR tours representative "Marie-Ange", and told her our problem. She went with us to reception and tried to convince them to switch our room with another one. They said no.
Long story short, later that day, we returned to our room, to find a note in our door from Marie-Ange saying she managed to finally have them switch our rooms!! We were so thrilled, and very grateful for her help!!.. She was so sweet, and really tried hard for us!!!
We were switched to building 4200, so much better!!. In retrospect, I would tell future guests to try and avoid the 5000 blocks. Not nearly as nice a locations as the 4000 blocks.
This aside, we just love this place. The buffet this year could have had their food a little "hotter".
For breakfast, your definite best bet is to endure the line up for the made as you order omelets. Delicious.
For lunches we always went to the "pizzeria"....thin crust pizzas, very good! And if you are lucky, you might even have an iguana come begging at your table! (quite odd!)
We found a little trick this year, instead of sitting around the busy pool, we would sit around the kiddie pool (hardly and kids) so was great, and plenty of chairs available!
I agree with another reviewer who commented on people "reserving" beach and pool chairs with their towels. It is very frustrating...as they just leave their towels there all day, and walk away!!... This should not be allowed.
We are very torn between trying another place next year, and not knowing what our experience will be like...or once again returning to our "sure thing".
Lovely place!!!