“Wow Pelicano is wonderful !”
Review of Hotel Pelicano

Hotel Pelicano
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Me and my wife went to Sol Pelicano in March of this year and we were impressed by this hotel !

First thing is the 4.5 min bus ride to the hotel ( the shortest bus ride we had was 40 mins), I actually timed it ! We paid 950.00 $ cad per person wich is decent for Cuba in March.

ARRIVAL : The check-in was a little messy since all 5 buses came from the airport at the same time so we can't really complain it would be the same anywhere with 250 person cheking at the same time.

ROOMS : We had a regular room gardeview but well located as you can see in my pictures. The rooms have a nice size and all of them have a balcony. The room was super clean and spotless everyday.

FOOD : Amazing ! Yes you read correctly, this place has a 50% occupancy from Italians and this shows in the food. The chef is Italian and very good. We enjoyed ALL of our dinners ( Buffet or A la Carte). My wife took a " Filet Mignon " and it was tender and cooked to perfection ! One night they did a Rosted pork ( see pictures) again absolutly fabulous. Don't get me wrong you get lobster, shrimps, scampies and champagne every night, but you have one of the best cuisine Cuba can offer.

ANIMATION : The crew is fantastic. The only down side is that half of them HAVE TO entertain the Italians and speak mostly Italian and very little english. The Cuban staff is super energetic and won't over bug you to play but if you start paticipating you will have even more fun.

BEACHE : The hotel beacheis short but clean. The water is clear but when we were there we got a few red flags. You have to take the shuittle to Las Sirenas, it is a public beach about 20 min away from the hotel and it is amazing ! (see pictures)

So Overwal it was an amazing experience and I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Cuba.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DrFeelgood89
There are newer reviews for Hotel Pelicano

Reviewed June 8, 2009

Paradise in Carabbean, no frills.
Best value for your money.
Excellent swimming.
Good food.
Clean rooms.
Helpfull staff.
People from all over the world.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Leonardito C
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I think this was a wonderful vacation. We went with 3 couples,and almost a year old baby girl. It had alot of family based stuff. They had a kiddies pool, day care, play settings, and for older individuals a big pool, bars everywhere, and a wonderful beach. The beach was BEAUTIFUL. Oh man. Bluest water, soft sand. The only negative aspect was it was crowded, and so there was no chance of finding enough seats for the beach. Otherwise the staff were so nice, so friendly. Bars were normal. Good people, good food, good drinks.

Snorkleing and catamerman was AWESOME. Spending the whole day on a beautiful boat, with not so many people crowding the boat. All day you sight see, snorkle, relax and drink. There are not any limiations, nor any one hanging down your neck watching what you're doing.

I absolutely love this place. I would recommend it to anyone. I am definately going again sometime in the future after I do a bit more sightseeing.

This isolated island is wonderful. There is no fear of dangerous cities or locals beause there really isn't any. No begging, no trying to push sales on us or anything.

Room service is decent, and although its a small star rating, it is definately worth it.

I love Cayo Largo. Sol pelicano was an amazing hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
9  Thank neshiikinz
Reviewed May 13, 2009

We went me and my wife for a week with our friends.
Everything was great, the beach, the food and the staff.
Raul and Wilder were wonderful.
We will go back soon.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank fergyTracadie_sheila
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Cayo Largo has some of the most amazing beaches you will ever see, and the one of the Pelicano is a really, really nice one (the Sol hotel is next to it and shares the same strech of coast).

As the hotels largely caters for Italians, you can be sure that the food is quite good. We have been eating for 2 weeks on the Cuban mainland, and were striving for some quality food. All the restaurants and buffet we tried in the hotel served good quality international food.

Rooms are not huge but ok and the whole complex is quite new, although nothing particulaly amazing.

But the main reason you will end up in Cayo Largo will be anyway the beach and the sea, and (whether permitting) you will not be disappointed. You can walk on the beach for the whole day (the sand does not heat up!!) through popular beaches and hidden bays always contemplating the amazing sea. Some of the beaches are clothes optional, also part of the hotel one, but there is space enough for everyone to do as they like.

P.S.= if you are sacred about the flights to and from Havana and Varadero, don't be! The main company flying is Aerogaviota, wich flies brand new Italo/French ATR52 planes. The flight schedule and times are only decided half a day in advance, but this is because the wait for the number of daytrippers thet book the excursions from Havana.
We booked throough TheHolidayPlace.co.uk that uses Cubanacan as local agency, and they were really reliable and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dcp772000
Reviewed April 26, 2009

My wife and I jus returned from a one week stay at the Sol Pelicano. April 16th to the 23rd. We booked our trip with Lily again. She always does such a great job for us.
We flew on Airtransat. Nice flight and we arrived early. Passport control took 5 minutes. Bus ride to resort was another 5. There was a long line at check-in but my wife saw a very nice girl holding a sign that read "returning guests". She brought us over to a table in the loby and found our file. She checked us in and told us that our room would be ready in a couple of hours. We grabbed our suits from our bags, changed and went to lunch at the Zun Zun and less than a half hour after landing we were sitting by the pool with a cold drink. An hour later our room was ready. It was on the 3rd floor of building 44. Very nice rom with a great sea view.
For the next 6 days we woke up early and had breakfast at the buffet. Waiters Joel and Rene took care of us for lunch and dinner. Food was good and there was always a nice variety.
We spent half our time on the Pelicano Beach (much wider than we had seen it in a long time) and at Paraiso/Sirena Beach(s). There was only one red flag the whole week. Lunch was at the Pelicano beach Ranchon or at the Sirena Beach restaurant when we went out to the west beaches. We took the train only once and a cab to Paraiso the rest of the time. We found other guests who were going that way and shared our cab with them. It was usually about 2 CUCs per person.
Paraiso/Sirena was as beautiful as always. Calm water and very little wind. Lunch at Sirena was very good. Our favorite waiter Salvador was working and gave us great service.
One of the reasons we like the Pelicano is that it is so well laid out. Everything is close but it never feels crowded. There was about a third Canadians, a third Italians and a third Argentinians mix the week we were there. We meet some very nice Canadians and a few Argentinians during the week.
We never had a problem changing money.
The two specialty restaurants were OK.
Because we were returning guests we had express check in, a bottle of Rum in our room and one night we were to dinner by the pool with other returning guets that was very well done.
The hotel employees are some of the friendliest and hard working you will find anywhere.
We had a great week. The weather and everything else was just perfect.
Can't wait to return next Spring.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank daveb7
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed in Cayo largo, specifically at the Sol Pelicano from April 2nd till April 9th. Overall, we were very impressed and would return in a heartbeat.

The hotel itself seems a little older. The rooms are done in a rustic type of decor. The first night we found that the doors and windows rattled a little in the wind. This was easy to take care of and didn't distract from our vacation. The air conditioning also was a little loud, but changing the fan speed eased the noise. The beds were comfortable, and we slept well. The bathroom was very nice. There was lots of water pressure for the shower, and plenty of hot water. The water would go away sometimes during the shower, but never for more than 15 seconds at a time. We did have quite a few ants in our room, and I did notice some under my pillow, but I just removed them before sleep and all was well.

The hotel grounds were well taken care off, although there is not much vegetation on the grounds.

The restaurants were all good. Breakfast was taken at the buffet and offered a wide variety of foods. It was pretty much the same thing every morning with a few variations, but there were plenty of choices for even the most fussy eaters. Lunch offered more choices in the way of restaurants. We especially enjoyed the pizzeria. The pizzas were fantastic, although not all that filling. We also ate at the ZunZun, which is the pool bar. The hamburgers, fries and sandwiches were excellent. Our waiter, Moya, was great and always had a smile on his face. We also ate at the Ranchon by the beach. The food was also good. At night, the buffet was excellent. We also ate at the Ranchon, which was pretty good, and the Yana which was by far the best food we ate. At the Yana we had filet Mignon which was cooked to perfection. Usually when we go to Cuba we don't expect food of this quality....dining at the Pelicano was exciting, not just something we needed to do to survive. The coffee at the buffet was pretty much nasty, but just around the corner at the Lobby bar the coffee was delicious. We took many a coffee at the lobby bar.

The Pool was excellent, although the saltwater burned our eyes. I open my eyes in the ocean without problems, but in the pool I found this to be hard. There were quite a few activities in the Pool. I particularly enjoyed the volleyball.

The beach was pretty much non-existant for the first few days, and we were quite dissapointed, this was due to heavy winds and large waves. the beach was red flagged meaning to stay out of the water. On the third day the winds calmed and the beach opened up...It was spectacular, and got better with each day. I can easily say that Cayo Largo has the most beautiful beaches that I have ever seen. Also the water is so stunning...

There were a lot of Italians at the resort. Some were pushy, but a little push back and all was good. Most of them that I met were fantastic people, and even though we didn't speak the same language we had fun. We also noticed that some of the animation staff were Italians and of course catered to the italians. This was fine by me. I did notice one waiter at the pizzeria didn't pay much attention to us when he found out that we weren't Italians, but that didn't bother us...we oredered directly with the cook and tipped him instead (he also made us special pizzas exactly the way we wanted).

We pretty much ignored the shows. We did try to attend one, but it got painful listening to the Spanish/English/French and Italian commentary.....it was also the crowd participation show and we didn't feel like participating....there was some dancing at the beginning of the show that we saw that was fantastic.

There is a section of the beach that is for nudity. We did see some nudity, but it was not over the top...although some of the naturists did go for walks and didn't stay in the nudist section.

I had gone to Cayo Largo hoping to run on the beach.....This didn't happen, as the beaches were a little narrow, and also the sand is very fine. I did however run on the roads 3 mornings. I totalled around 35km and always felt safe. The cubans would honk and wave and were very nice. I would recommend running early in the morning and carrying water. I am posting this as I could not find any info on running in Cayo Largo prior to my trip and thought that others may benefit. It would have been nice if the hotel would have had a fitness facility, but apparently the Sol next door does and Pelicano guests can use that.

For us, the biggest dissapointment was the music. Too much, too loud, and the wrong type. When I go to Cuba, I want to hear Cuban music. There was some, but I'm pretty sure that I heard some Phil Collins. I have nothing against Phil, but would prefer to hear something Carribean when in Cuba....also turning of the music once in a while would be nice.

We felt that we had gotten our money's worth at Pelicano, and would definately return.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 13 in Playa Larga
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
#3 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Hotel Pelicano? Share your experiences!