“4th time to Sol Pelicano”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Pelicano

Hotel Pelicano
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
“4th time to Sol Pelicano”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

Hello Everyone:

I am going to add my evaluation of our trip to Cayo Largo from Feb 21 to Mar 7 2014 which is under Cuban control.

This year for the first time, we left Toronto at about 5:30 p.m. And arrived in Cayo Largo at about 9pm. In previous years we have always left at 6:30 a.m and were on the beach by about 11:30. We certainly prefer the morning departure. At the end of your stay, check out time is 12:00 noon. This means that with an evening departure (leave the hotel at about 7:30), you have all day to go to the beach or do whatever you want. Since there is no place to shower, we prefered to stay around the pool for the day. One has to make sure that you have your winter attire in your carry-on. We left our lounging clothing on right to the airport. There is plenty of time to change before you get on the plane to return home. This time we were transported in the biggest plane I had ever been on, an Airbus A320 with 227 people on board. There was lots of leg room. We ended up in the centre row of seats (3 rows, 2 aisles), but it didn't matter because this was a night flight and one couldn't see anything out of the windows anyway. Several times the captain asked us to strap in because we would be entering turbulance. All I felt were a few minor bumps. It was a beautiful flight and landing both on the island and at Toronto on the way home.

This was our 4th visit to the Sol Pelicano because it has everything we want or don't want. We wanted sunny days and got 14 out of 15. One day we had some rain and it was a little cool.

We like the variety of foods that are served . Over the years, the chefs have learned to cook Beef and Pork properly. They used to over-cook it to the point where you could not cut it, but no more. They now do a beautiful job. They always had great fish, and this year was no exception. We found this year that they were lacking vegetables in the menu, but we always found something to replace them. We always ate breakfast and dinner (7:00 p.m.) in the buffet restaurant and always had our same waiters. There was Victor and Jesus, who looked after us perfectly. If we were on time, we were usually seated at the same table. They would have our drinks ready. I am not fond of their wine, and so just had ice-water. In the morning, they always had our water, juice and coffee/tea for us within seconds of our sitting down. A word about the coffee. The coffee served in the restaurant comes from a vending machine and the taste leaves something to be desired. I discovered that a mix of coffee and hot chocolate mellowed it out, and Jesus (pronounced HEY ZOOSE) , knew that and always brought it to the table that way.

After dinner, my wife and I migrated to the pool area, where they played soft, relaxing music. I believe that one of the Cds that they played, was a new album by Neil Sedanka. Quite beautiful.

We usually ate lunch at the beach restaurant, where they had a chef cooking up fresh fish, and actually had a tray of vegetables. Of course you could also have a “Servesa” with your dinner to re-hydrate after being on the beach. There was a travelling band that would ususally end up at the restaurant for the dinner hour. Being an old sound guy from yesteryear, I though that they were fantastic. They were strictly acoustic.

I think their mandate was to travel from one restaurant to another. The only complaint I would have is that there seemed to be nobody co-ordinating the music. So they would arrive at the pool bar and even though there would be loud music playing from the speakers, they would burst into their own song and it sounded like listening to two radio stations at the same time.
Alex, you need to fix this. Turn off the recorded music when it is time for the band to play.

We usually did not go to the nightly entertainment. For one reason, we were usually too tired after a day at the beach. The second reason was that the music and MC were TOO LOUD.

Alex I am suggesting that LOUD does not translate to enjoyable. When the music is so loud that one must be outside the theatre to enjoy it, IT IS TOO LOUD.

Here again, co-ordination is needed. When one is sitting in the lobby bar, some nights there was loud music playing. Then the theatre right next door would begin their shows with their loud music, but the bar would not turn off their music. In my estimation, the lobby bar after 9:00 p.m. should be playing relaxing music.

Another activity that I find enjoyable is having a massage. First time visitors might be at a loss as to how to go about getting one. Well, you make your appointment through the towel exchange person, who gives you a ticket with your room number and time on it. When the time is right, you take this ticket to the massage area. This is where it gets a little strange. You stand outside the locked door until your masseuse comes out to greet you.

Alex I would suggest a small decorative bench , perhaps on the grass under a tree, just outside the door so that customers had a place to sit while waiting on their appointment. I know there is an outside table at the lobby bar, but it quite some distance, and if it happens to be busy, there is no place to sit.

A nice touch was added to the check in this time. If you are a returning vacationer, you are processed through a special line that only takes a couple of minutes to get you your room key, towel card etc and your bags are delivered to your room immediately.

The staff delivering your bags also seem to have other duties. Ours put our bags right in our room, plugged in the fridge, checked our porch light (it was out, but fixed shortly). Also the next day, our maid noticed that our shower would not stay in position, and had it repaired the same day.

Great Service.

I noticed that when we entered our room that the A/C was set to the very bottom. We turned it off, but found that later that evening we had to use it again. I think we finally ended up with it set at about 28c which felt plenty cool compared to the outside air.

Alex You can probably save some electricity by having staff set thermostats to 25c instead of “cold as possible” We come to your island for the heat.

Don't expect much in the way of TV on your visit, althought this year the tv was much better than last.

There is CNN and the American weather channel (Canada does not exist). Most other channels were English advertising for some good movies, but when the movie came on it was over-dubbed in spanish, so not too enjoyable for english speaking folks.

Things to take:

When you are packing your bags, besides the bathing suit and clothes you should pack the following:
A hat or cap.
The sun is brutal on fresh skin. I burned my forehead and I was aware of what might happen. I did not have a hat with me and finally purchased one. You can get a hand-made hat (out of vegetation and quite nice) for 5 pesos. Ask the person cleaning the pool, and he will know somebody who makes hats.

Toilet paper or Kleenex:

This is for the airport which has the worst bathrooms on the Island. There are no toilet seats, and you are expected to tip the lady who will had you a couple of pieces of paper. Take your own.
Once you get to the resort, you will be fine. Not a very impressive way to greet tourists who are supplying Cuba with their livelihood.

Warning: Some laws have changed

You can no longer take more than 25 pesos out of the country. I like to bring 10 pesos home for a returning visit so that I have some to tip the bus drivers and baggage handlers. Also, you cannot have any cuban money in your pockets. So , put it in your carry-one until you clear customs.

Also, if you are bringing back liquor, it must be in your checked baggage, not in your carry-on. Although, if you buy at the duty free once through customs , it must go in your carry-on. Go figure.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the front desk and staff. This is where you must change your Canadian Dollars into Pesos. At some times in the past, I would go to front desk, only to be told that they were out of Pesos, and that I would have to return. When I did get change, it seemed like they were smothered in Paperwork, writing down numbers etc before they could give me change. This has all changed. This year, the whole operation is much more relaxed. In fact they keep coin in what looks like a cut-off Soda Bottle and when you go for change, they throw your bill on the desk, dump out some coin, count it out and pass it to you. Thank-you for this. Be generous with tipping. My pesos for the staff included daily 2 for the maid, 1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch, 2 for dinner, and 1 for each time I went to the bar for my drinks.

Oh, almost forgot because I don't have kids, but there is a wonderful play area for little ones and being upgraded as I write this. Also a beautiful big wading pool for them. You can borrow games and books from their “library” which is also handled by the most pleasant person at the towel dispensary.

My vacation this year was not quite as enjoyable as other years, simply because I contracted some kind of bug ( I think on the plane on the way down) that hung on to the point that when we got home, made a trip to emerg, and the doctor put us on puffers and antibiotics. Its been a week since we landed and I am starting to feel better now, but I'm told that this thing lasts for 100 days. I will be much more diligent at disinfecting my tray, arm rest etc on the plane.

Sooooo looking forward to my next vacation at Sol Pelicano when I am not taken down with a cold.

1 Thank David G
solpelicano, Director General at Hotel Pelicano, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear David,
Thanks for your comments, it a pleasure to know that over all you spent a wonderful vacation in our resort. I have taken note of all the comments that of course have been discussed with the Head departments. We always say the comments fill us with satisfaction and the observations help us to improve day by day.
We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy our services, specially the staff. Thank you very much for recommending us, the Management and the Staff will be more than pleased to welcome you again.
Regards,
Hotel Sol Pelicano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Just came back from Sol Pelicano (spent one week from March 6th to 13th)
Before the details, it was an amazing vacation and I would like to revisit Cayo Largo again in the future.
now, here are the details
Room
Pros : Clean, almost no bugs (except for ants), good size, have a nice view.
Cons : Dirty Linen/Towels (no way to get clean ones, I tried everything), tired equipment, the A/C is really weak, I guess that's the real reason they close in summer, the vent fan was not working in my kids room, the washroom door is made of transparent glass ... (I think ours was an exception).
Beach
Sol Pelicano beach
Pros : Beautiful, Clean, wide, enough chairs.
Cons : Wavey (All week it was) I don't mind, actually my kids enjoyed playing in the waves, no snorkeling off-shore, yes some told me I can walk to the left (but didn't want to go across the nude area), not enough umbrellas.
Paraiso beach
Pros : Amazing (you can't miss it)
Cons : transportation is not consistent (I had to pay Taxi both ways, because there were no spots on the train), be very careful in the area near the trees, I got like a zillion spikes in my feet from the plants, wear your sandals, no facilities at all, so bring your own drinks and food.
Amenities
Restaurants
Three restaurants, the main one was buffet restaurant where you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Then the other two Lalyana and Rancheon are two a la cart ones.

Buffet Restaurant
Pros : Nice design, many options, amazing pasta, good service
Cons : food options are limited (for example it is an island I really expected more sea food items only fish for the whole week was annoying), very limited options in fruit/vegetable

Rancheon
Pros : Amazing setting.
Cons : Way less options, basically stuck to one plate, waiter was not friendly, felt really pushed to buy the lobster.
Also, they have one nice pizza place, and the ZunZun cafeteria by the swimming pool and a lobby bar
Pizza Place
Pros : Nice corner with few tables, amazing pizza.
Cons : inadequate service, only one waiter for like 12 tables, very limited options.
ZunZun Place
Pros : Nice Setting, daily BBQ lunch, slightly better menu for snacks, well staffed.
Cons : inconsistent quality (I got one sandwich, that had two different pieces of meat, one tender and one chewy !!!).

Lobby Bar
=========
Pros : Good drinks (Coffee is good, Pine Colada is good), good service.
Cons : limited seating, I actually never had problem finding a seat, but we are talking about spots for like 20 people.
The general note was the water in the island is not drinkable, even when you avoid drinking it, it is still used in making ice and in making hot beverages (coffee/Tea), also I would assume that this is the main reason why linens/Towels are not clean and smell, the water is probably hard and detergent can't make it.

Trips
The Island is out of this world, anything you do you will enjoy, basically the trips I did were
1- Catamaran cruises, one during the day and one sunset (I tried this and it was beautiful, this sunset will stay with you)
2- Also, I went to the Marina, where you can visit the Turtle farm, and the marina has amazing fish, the bank and 4 poor craft vendors.
3- I also did a fishing trip and it was the best (total surprise), biggest catch in my life.

Good Luck guys.
Enjoy it and brush way the little things, don't let them spoil this paradise.

Room Tip: Seond floor with a balcony, mine were 5310 and 5312.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank MrASM
solpelicano, Director General at Hotel Pelicano, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for trust in our Sol Pelicano hotel and for choosing our resort in Cayo Largo. We analyzed immediately your comments and always say the positive and negative comments fill us with satisfaction and observations help us to improve day by day. About your comment in terms of the variety of meals and restaurants Buffet, we work with the chef to reverse this situation immediately and beat the quality of these. We have already taken all the measures about the situation that points us about the dirty Linen /Towels, we will work on it for not happen again. Your opinion it has been valuable because you gave us important elements in order to achieve a better service and client’s satisfaction. I hope you give us the opportunity to visit us again to reverse their opinions, we will work according to each of your words because that is our commitment to satisfy our clients so they can go home with the taste of having made the journey of dreams.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I've been at the Sol Pelicano now 7 times. I have seen some changes, not all for the better. But it is the people who work there who make this place so special and why people keep on returning again and again. We went there the first time in 2003 when the kids still attended the Mini-Club. This year I returned for one week with my husband and for another week with 2 of our kids who are now in their twenties and still remember the songs the sang at 'Mini Disco'.
In 3 1/2 hours by plane you are in Paradise and it takes max. 10 minutes to get to the hotel from the airport which is a wonderful plus (no long bus rides).

Again they were out of a lot of things (such as French Fries and Calamaris unfortunately). This is usually better on the mainland. But we do not go there to stuff ourselves. We always find something good and healthy to eat; the fish is just so fresh and delicious. This time they even had limes!!! Angel still makes the best Mojitos in the land at the ZunZun and he trained some people well. Guillermo, Yosvani (?) and Anita in the Lobby Bar did a fabulous job. It became a ritual for us after dinner to go for a Spanish Coffee that looked great and tasted even better. The guys at the Pizza place/and La Yana restaurant did a wonderful job to make us feel welcome (thank you Carlos, Gonzalo, Eduardo and Ernesto). True that some days they did not have everything on the menu (such as tuna or garlic) but you just have to be flexible. For the price you pay and the beauty of the ocean & beach it is still worth it. Dinaldo and Yanni at the Ranchon still remembered us and always gave an excellent service. I must not forget our wonderful dining room waiters Rene & Adolfo who always made sure they found a table for us.

The rooms are very clean and I love the (hard working) girls who do all those animals with towels and bed sheets. I noticed that they did not have Kleenex boxes in the rooms any more - I guess they are now in the restaurants!! LOL.
The dance shows were very nice as usual and the dancers practiced a lot and mingled with the guest and asked them to dance after the shows ; Moulin Rouge I have seen now (too) many times. They used to change??? But the Karaoke and Mr. Pelicano were terrible the week we were there as was the 'award show'.
I tried diving for the first time (first pool, than ocean) and had a great and very patient teacher in Israel and decided to learn how to dive in a pool course at home.
I would hope for the staff working there that they kept the hotel open longer than till May only. Most of them are unemployed between May and November and they cannot find work somewhere else for those months or transfer to another hotel. We have stayed at the Sol Cayo Largo once as well but the atmosphere is 100% better at the Pelicano.
I am sure we'll go back again in the future.
Thank you everybody for 2 wonderful relaxing weeks in the sun.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Birgit E
solpelicano, Director General at Hotel Pelicano, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Birgit

Thank you for choosing Sol Pelicano Hotel for your holidays and for your comments on Trip Advisor. I have attentively read your comments. Your opinion it has been valuable because you gave us important elements in order to achieve a better service and client’s satisfaction. I’ll do reach your opinion to all our employees, which rejoice to know that they have met their expectations. Sol Pelicano continues to be the first hotel in Cayo Largo resort thanks to all Canadians’possitive remarks that over years choose this destination for their vacation.
Is a pleasure for us that you enjoy your first dive in Cayo Largo, one of the most wonderfull place for this activities.

We hope to see you again here with your all family.
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

My wife and i spent another wonderful two weeks at the Pelicano.This was our fifth time there and it just gets better every time.The staff are so welcoming and do everything they can to make your stay unforgetable.There is lots of us that go back every year because the staff are so great.Food is good,entertainment is good and you can't beat the beach.Rooms are clean as is every part of the resort.Now to the person that made the bad coments about room 4313.I have stayed in that room two times and had requested that room for this trip.There is nothing wrong with it and if you thought there was you should have contacted the front desk and they would have done everthing they could to make it the way you expect.This is not the place to complain about it,talk to Alejandro he will make sure everything is done to make your stay the best.As i told him he should bring his staff to Canada to teach our people how to give great service.Going back again in 2015.

Room Tip: They are all good just depends on where you like to be.
3 Thank harry58
Dear Harry,

I really appreciate that you let us know your opinion about your stay in our Sol Pelicano hotel. It is very important for us to know the point of view of the guests who visit us. I’ll do reach your opinion to all our employees, which rejoice to know that they have met their expectations once again. It will be a pleasure for us if we will see you again the next year.

Best regards,

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Just returned from Sol Pelican with my wife. We are elderly and will never forget the hospitality experienced by their Customer Service Manager - Loida. She was incredible. We required some care and she went beyond what a hotel can do for customers. Loida is the reason we will recommend Sol Pelicano and return next year - but for 2 weeks! The beach is breathless and the prettiest we have ever seen.
The other staff were just as magical. They were kind funny and so professional.
The food was spectacular. So many people review Cuba's food to be bland but that is not true. We are Italian and we went to sleep every night so full of great cheeses, cold cuts, roast beef, chicken, great salads, fresh fruit, fresh bread, etc....Certainly an abundance.
Thank you, Sol Pelicano. We are grateful for all you did for us - especiallyLoida! YOU ARE INCREDIBLE AND THANK YOU.........xoxo Vito and Lina

Room Tip: The rooms near the pools were convenient, but it doesnt matter because they are all close to everyth...
5 Thank Vito A
Dear Vito and Lina

Thanks for your marvelous comments about the Hotel Sol Pelicano in general, there are no words that can express the satisfaction in knowing that you have returned to home with the image of a wonderful journey. 'll do reach your opinion to Loyda and all our employees, which rejoice to know that they have met your expectations. We hope to see you soon again.

Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

We just returned from a trip to Sol Pelicano where we stayed from Feb. 28-March 6th. The last time we were here, we swore we would never come again as per problems we discovered from last two times we have stayed here. The first trip was great and for the most part, we were happy, explaining why we returned. The only reason we returned this time was because of all the good reports that it has been receiving this season and I'm not sure we would have returned except for the cheap price at under $700 ! I just figured maybe things have changed here to make it more popular then in previous years.
Well....we were wrong and as a matter of fact is the worse we have ever seen!
First, a good new service we received was the main restaurant obvious was very concerned with people with colds because you don't get napkins anymore ....YOU GET TISSUES instead so you could blow your nose while eating! What a Great idea management ! Kleenex tissue stocks must have gone up !
Who would have thunk of an idea like that...WOW !
The other thing we saw while there was, I hope you were observant, was that the pasta sauce sat on a cold plate, at the station, the whole time we were there, without be refrigerated for a week. If there was a health department in Cuba , this place would have closed down for sure. Getting fries with our sandwiches after a long day on the beach used to be a favourite thing for us to do but this year but NO French fries this year !!! Things must be getting tough for a large company like Sol Club not to have fries for their guests. Finally....the guys at the pizza restaurant started not giving out menus because they had very little product to put on them...only bacon and cheese. Shame !
Lastly, we were forced to get out luggage from under the bus at the airport because there was no staff to help us out and I had to crawl underneath to drag out ours and other luggage, to get checked in.
We are not going to return to this resort ever again, even if the price was under $400 . Its a shame but a person has to draw the line somewhere to have a good time and good food at the same time. Shame on you management.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ricksandy
solpelicano, Director General at Hotel Pelicano, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Sandy
Thank you for choosing Sol Pelicano Hotel for your holidays. Your opinion it has been valuable because you gave us important elements in order to achieve a better service and client’s satisfaction. Our apologize for yours perceptions about our service. Operate on an island like Cayo Largo can have difficulties in the logistics, however we do everything in our power to provide the varieties that they deserve.

What made this place different to the rest of the world? His wonderfull beaches like Paraiso and Sirena are one of the most beautifull beaches on the world (the 11st ). I hope you give us the opportunity to visit us again to reverse their opinions, we will work according to each of your words because that is our commitment to satisfy our clients so they can go home with the taste of having made the journey of dreams.

Rigaud, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was our second year visiting Sol Pelicano, Cayo Largo.
We stayed January 30th to February 6th and just like last year truly enjoyed our visit.

Right away, we noticed that a lot improvements were done on the property since last year. A new ramp to walk to the beach alongside the Ranchòn restaurant ; new flower beds with aloe plants ; renovated rooms, etc etc. The list goes on.

A great effort was put into improving the food this year by the hotel staff. It was tasty, nice variety, fresh fruits and vegetables and the desserts were succulent.

The beach as last year was beautiful and kept clean. There were plenty of chairs and palapas for us to find shade under.

Last year, we had stayed in the 43 section ; this year we stayed in the 45 room section in a welcoming, brightly coloured renovated room.

We were very touched that many of the hotel staff not only remembered us from last year but also embraced us with open arms, their warmth and their hospitality:
Dinaldo, our amòr from the Ranchon ; René, gentle and caring, at the buffet ; Eduardo, shy and a true gentleman, who we missed seeing at the buffet but were delighted to discover that he was at La Yana. Roberto, our hero at the beach. Aymara, although we were not in her section this year, recognized us and enfolded us in a big hug.
We were delighted to have our room looked after by a lovely young lady (sorry forgot her name) in the 45-section. We met Sr. Raymondo, a sweet and kind gardener with whom we shared a few lovely conversations. Liopel, at the front desk, gave us good advice and was a gentleman.

All of you have made our stay a memorable one. You are our friends away from home.

Sr. Alejandro, we look forward to coming back next year, this time for 2 weeks.

Anneke and Gaetan

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anneke-Gaetan
Dear Anneke and Gaetan,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with other travellers in Trip Advisor, and thank you for trust in our Sol Pelicano Hotel.

It was a pleasure having you here again, and we are very proud reading that you found our staff wonderful, and our hotel beautiful and very well maintained.

We will share your beautiful comments with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Sol Pelicano hotel in Cayo Largo.

Kind regards,
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
#9 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,003 reviews

Been to Hotel Pelicano? Share your experiences!