“A+++ for beach and staff!”
Review of Hotel Pelicano

Hotel Pelicano
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have just returned from our 4th year in a row visit to Sol Pelicano (Mar 7-14). I have to admit, that if it is a spectacular beach you are looking for, this is the spot! It is amazing, white sand, and you can walk forever! The staff at this resort is most accomodating, and I truly believe they work extremely hard to keep this place the best they can. From the grounds keepers, to the maids, and to the waiters etc.
One thing I do notice in the 4 years, is that things are looking a little "tired", but that being said, kudos go to the staff who work diligently on the grounds themselves, as well as keeping the hotel blocks spotless. I can't imagine staff being more polite, and always smiling.
We did notice a decline in the food quality this year in particular. One thing most of all, is the food was rarely hot, unless you went to the "grill as you wait" line. (Was the best bet).
The selection of food was not the greatest this year either. Rather disappointing. While I was more adventururous in food choices, fish etc....my partner survived the week on potatoes (cold most of the time), and bread.
I have noticed alot of negative comments about the towels, but I will say we did not have any issues....perhaps just luck??
I think the strong points, being as mentioned the amazing beach, wonderful staff, and that feeling of "home away from home" for us will bring us back yet again for a 5th time....but maybe we will pack a few more "emergency rations"...just in case.
By the way, the best hotel blocks to go for are 4200, 4300, or 4400....great views of the ocean!
See you all next yesr!!

Room Tip: Block 4200, 4300, 4400 closest to ocean!
4  Thank bajuma
solpelicano, Manager at Hotel Pelicano, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Estimated bajuma:
Thanks for your valuable comments about our resort and the great staff.
we will work on each of its indications.
Our chef is already aware of your valuable comments. We hope to see you again in our Hotel to enjoyment of our beautifull beaches Cayo Largo will be always an unforgettable experience.

Best Regards,

Cayo Largo del Sur-Cuba
director.general.spl@meliacuba.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,933)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Took a last minute trip to Cayo Largo and stayed at the Pelicano. Arrived around 11 p.m. Took a taxi from the airport, just 2 CUC per person. Arrived at hotel before the bus load and had the reception all to myself. Checked in, exchanged money and was whisked away by Manuel who drove me to my room in the dark. He helped carry up my bags, and when the key did not work he immediately left and returned with another fellow who fixed it and the safe. I suspect if I had arrived with the bus, this would have taken longer to be remedied.

I then went to the lobby bar, which really isn't in the lobby at all, and although there was a crowd hovering around the bar, the service was fast and efficient. Anita was the best! I wasn't feeling too comfortable in the bar alone with the blaring music and strobe lights so I went outside to sit in the warm breeze. The evening show by the animators had just ended so the bar became lively at this hour. I never watched any of the shows as I had been to Cuba before (Varadero and Cayo Guillermo) and saw enough of them then. Plus I was alone and wanted to explore. Walked down to hear the waves, didn't go on the beach because I was alone and the path wasn't really lit up.

Next day I got up and went to get my towel. It only opened at 8 a.m. so had to wait a bit, and the guy arrived in Cuban fashion, slowly and after 8 a.m. Once I got my towel I headed to the lobby bar for a cappuccino. It was great! But the buffet coffee is from a machine and tastes artificial. Breakfast was difficult for me as I am not a big eater and nothing appealed to me. Everyone else seemed to enjoy it and be eating heartily. Not me. I wasn't hungry very often during my stay. The pizzas are the best, the hamburgers are questionable, but people seemed to love the fish, beans and endless forms of ham and pork. Chicken only one day at the BBQ near the pool around lunch time, but that was it. Everyday is different as to what they have available, being on an island and waiting for supplies from Havana. Pineapple was the best, but went fast.

I went to the beach and found a chair and shelter easily but you really need to go early and claim your chairs with your towels or other personal belongings and then show up when you want, like everyone else seemed to do. Sometimes chairs would be vacant for a good part of the day, but I understand why...the beach is simply spectacular. Walking and playing in the waves were good reasons to be away from your chair. Nudest beach didn't bother me. In fact I liked this spot more as it felt more secluded. On calm water days it's amazing to watch pelicans float, swim, dive, fly.

I don't do pools so I have no comment to offer on their pool. It seemed nice enough, a little smaller than some other resorts I've been to.

The beach at Sirena is beautiful as well. I was happy to go with another couple I met and take a long walk, look for starfish, visit the dolphin, etc. It is a calmer beach, VERY wide but not much shelter. We visited for the morning only, but some people plant themselves there for the day.

That evening I met a group of other travelers and hung out with them. It was fun. There is always music playing somewhere. I loved this. Everyone is very friendly, saying Hola to you as you walk on the path.

It was my first time traveling solo to a resort and I felt very comfortable, though it is mostly couples and families. I met several people who have been there before, as well as other places in Cuba, and like them, I agree that so far this is the most beautiful.

Given that the staff work a minimum of 12 hours a day for 20 days with no break, they are extremely kind and helpful. I think I would be a walking dead person if I worked the hours they do and be so pleasant all the time. If you don't tip at this place, you will not feel left out. However, the staff earn a very low salary (albeit more than other Cubans as tourism pays the most), so they do rely on their tips. They have only 9 days with there families back home before they return to work the next 20-day shift and some don't even have work at the resort in the down season (May to November), so you can see they sacrifice a lot and need to make enough to support them when no other work is available. I am not sure about black market exchanges of products here as some people believe happens because we tourists bring gifts of items the Cubans cannot get due to the US embargo. I felt this more in Havana (begging) and Varadero (tips somewhat expected and items are asked for). Supplies are expensive to the average Cuban, so basic necessities from home are always a nice way of saying thank you to these wonderful people. Soaps, pens, notebooks, gum, candies, chocolate, gardening gloves, nailpolish, deodorant, feminine protection, etc. I gave Manuel my crank flashlight that I brought because I thought I might need it. He was so happy.

Room Tip: My room was central to the pool, buffet, lobby. Noisy at night for light sleepers. But I slept wel...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank PMVE

Estimated PMVE:
Thanks for your valuable comments about our resort and the great staff. It is a pleacer for us to know that you has spent a wonderfull vacation and we are pleased to know that we fulfill your expectations. We hope to see you again in our Hotel to enjoyment of our beautifull beaches Cayo Largo will be always an unforgettable experience.

Cayo Largo, Cuba

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were there on room 4606 and just came back on the 14th. Our room was smelling Sh....every morning, towels full of stains and due for a change. The food is was you get in cuba but no chicken for a couple of days, no orange juice for the first 5 days, no eggs for 2 days and cold food most of the times that's not something you should expect.

Service wise the pool bar and especialy Angel was great but for the rest ......We had a talk with someone that was there for the seventh time and he told us it was the worst he had, son that tells you everything.

1  Thank Gilles G

Estimated Gilles G.

Thank you very much for bringing us their insights and valuable comments, which are always well received and treated with the greatest interest in improving sleep quality and expectations of our customers and prospects. We are working into indicated. Our commitment is to improve and adapt our services every day to achieve maximum satisfaction of all who visit.

Best Regards,

Cayo Largo, Cuba

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beaches are amazing ( Playa Paraisio) a little bit of paradise,a must see when you visit Cayo Largo. Don't go for the food,but everything else was well worth it. Room 5802 close to pool,snack bar,buffet restaurant where the staff were fantastic. Miles of cool white sand to walk along. Scooter and vehicle rentals on grounds,really cheap,20 Pesos for 24 hrs,insurance and gas included.

Estimated Lynn1967_11 .

Thanks for your valuable comments about our resort and the great staff. We are working into indicated. Our commitment is to improve and adapt our services every day to achieve maximum satisfaction of all who visit. We hope to see you again in our Hotel to enjoyment of our beautifull beaches Cayo Largo will be always an unforgettable experience.
]Do not hesitate to contact us if you decide to return again some other time, to give special attention.

Cayo Largo del Sur-Cuba

Reviewed March 14, 2013

It is definitely a true three star resort that has the potential to be so much more. We were there 8 years ago and even then it was rather worn, but it has not been upgraded, or in some cases, maintained. The waterfall into the pool no longer functions, and the hot tub has been closed off. The bath towels were very stained, and in fact we questioned whether they were even being properly washed due to the stains and general dirty appearance. The only day they even vaguely smelled clean with a hint of laundry detergent was the first day.

I think the owners of this resort need to re-invest in their resort and make it as stunning as I know it could be. The people work hard at this resort but I think they are working on a shoe string budget and trying so hard to make it better.

I will be honest and admit that we will probably return to this resort for two reasons - the people and the location. The staff are so accommodating and go out of their way to please you. Of notable mention - in the buffet - our waitors - Carlos, Giovanis, Yoan, and Victor. In the Lobby bar - our favorite bartender -Lucy. Our maid - Aymara. I wish I could remember everyone's names, but honestly everyone was fantastic!

The beach is one of the nicest natural beaches we have been.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 13, 2013

March 1 to 8 Room 4128 What a great place to pass sometime in the sun. This area of Cuba is wonderful and the Beach is the best I have ever been on the sand is so COOL and never gets hot. The Staff of the Pelicano are the best we have had in all trips to Cuba. Rosa who looked after our room was so pleasant to talk to and she did our room so nicely we always wondered what she would do to surprise and make us smile when we open the door. Edwart our waiter in the Buffet was very personable and remembered from the first time what we liked to drink. He would talk to us about anything we asked him about and he worked so hard to make everyone he waited on feel special. Raymondo who was one of the gardeners was such a GENTLE MAN he would see us from a distance and say Hola Amigo he would be singing as he worked and was always with a smile. Rici at the beach and his dog Lola also made us feel special he let me talk to his dog as he knew we loved dogs and missed ours. I know that I am not spelling the names right but the point is We will go back to Sol Pelicano because the staff was wonderful and the beach was unbelievable. We had a junior suite and it was great. The food was ample and changed daily. If you love fresh fish you will be in for a treat, I had some lunch and dinner. We enjoyed the buffet morning noon and night and the pizza bar was wonderful and the coffee at the lobby bar was the greatest. We only used the pool (salt water and clean) a couple of times as swimming the ocean is for us. We walked every morning for at least 6 to 7 KM on the wonderful sand it never gets boring when you are on the beach there. We will be back Thanks to the wonderful staff and Lola the dog.

1  Thank Ron L

Estimated Ron L.

Hotel SOl Pelicano
Cayo Largo el Sur-Cuba

Reviewed March 10, 2013

MARCH 1-8TH/13 room 4125 OK Alejandro, here is our trip advisor reveiw. We have traveled to alot of resorts over the years. This was our second hola vacation to cuba this year. Had a wonderful time at sol pelicano. The other couple we travelled with are still there for a second week. Enjoying the great beach and wonderful staff. We could only go for one week.

We give you 10 stars for being out there, greeting and talking to all the guests. Your greeting of your guests means alot. Since we only speak english and a bit of italian.

Silvio at the snack bar also gets 10 stars for saving my towel when I forgot it on my chair. Thank you again.
We had a spacious junior suit on the third floor, overlooking the pool, nice views of the resort.
Bottled water, towel , flower and bed decor by our maid as well everyday. Very nice.

There are mostly french and spanish speaking guest. So why do you have the american weather channel on the tv? It doesn't do canada . The canadian weather network channel covers so much more, including canada, the states and the caribean weather. My husband would like to see an english hbo plus station.
We didn't go to the shows, due to the language barrier. But they looked good as we walked by.

We very much enjoyed carlos and his group of live musicians, juring dinner and around the resort.
You should have them at the lobby bar/ pizzeria after dinner for those who might wish to dance after our dance lessons to cuban music, not disco.

All the staff are wonderful, some can speak english and are trying very hard. And we are trying in spanish .It works.
The beach at this resort is a dream. So clear it is like a swimmimg pool with waves. But needs more cabanas. So we sat on the clothing optional side. It was the only space available all week.
We came here for the beach.
We had a fun 4wheel drive taxi van ride to the beautiful serena and paraso beaches on the sand trail. The beach train/boat was full. These beaches are a must see.
The hotel rooms and grounds are clean with the exception of some tiny mosquitos a few nights. The hotel does fog spray. But bring your Off to spray your ankles before dinner.
I highly recommend the sunset lobster dinner cruise, it was great trip.

Hola sun vacations has direct flights with canjet. Without the montreal stop. Watch the flight times.
WE had a wonderful time, at a wonderful resort, with a fabulous beach.
Thank You.
WE WILL BE BACK!

Room Tip: any room is good

Estimated Lori2404 .

0 mi away
Ca' del Sol Cuba
Ca' del Sol Cuba
#7 of 14 in Playa Larga

Been to Hotel Pelicano? Share your experiences!