Tripadvisor
Cayo Largo
5,170 results
All reviews sol cayo las trinas lobby bar fish pasta ceiling fan a la carte crepes beach restaurant ocean view other resorts red flag water pressure beautiful beach buffet restaurant white sand bottle of water
Selected filters
Reviewed January 12, 2020

Visited Dec. 29 to Jan. 5 .......Much has already been said about the property and it’s mostly accurate...plus / minus. What must be emphasized is the cleanliness of the resort.....IT IS SPOTLESS! While it is true the bathrooms in the rooms are in need of a Reno, they were clean! The beds and linen were odourless and Clean! The Staff were Perhaps the most hard working people EVER! Soto be certain the buildings of the resort are 3 star and the Staff were 5 star, split the difference....I gave it 4 stars. The food was good...sometimes hot...sometimes warm...and maybe even cool but it was good for sure. Nudism...yes it’s there...enjoy it! For tips, just taken US dollar bills...forget about getting pesos....forget the cute little soaps and shampoos....money is preferred! Staff at the hotel work 20 days of 12 hour shifts with 10 days off. They reside in a commune of dorms near the marina and take a ferry to the mainland to go to their homes on their day offs. There are no permanent residents on the island which is about 30 miles from mainland Cuba. There are no Beach or Pool Waiters to serve you and the only servers you encounter are in the restaurants......if you are respectful, kind and pick up your trash....I mean your plastic cups and glassware and return them to the bar counter.....you will be thought of very highly and treated very well!......so to those who read this report......be the kind and generous people that you are and you will have a Wonderful 100% Cuban Vacation!

Date of stay: January 2020
14  Thank XXOO7
HGeneralManager, Director Comercial at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2020

Dear client,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent holiday experience among us, our main goal being to ensure we keep on delivering unforgettable holiday experiences to our guests, your comments are crucial in this process therefore we highly value your time.

I am truly happy to know that we have managed to exceed your expectations in regards to hospitality and service delivered and will not fail to pass your comments to the team members. We regret any confusion between getting something for paying, for courtesy of hotel, or for tips. On our part, we agree that tips are voluntary and to those who deserve them professionally, this alerts us not to neglect the issue.

We kindly inform you, that your review has been thoroughly analyzed with all the departments involved. Comments like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our clients.

Once more we thank you for choosing our hotel for your holiday and we look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best regards,
Sales team

Reviewed January 12, 2020

I booked 6 days in Melia Sol Cayo largo and another 5 days in Paradisus Varadero. Since the very beginning that we arrived we were disappointed.

No welcome drink and a terrible attitude by the check in representative, no welcome drink and no music like it is typical from these type of resorts.

When we arrive to the room then I almost blew up, what is this??? (I attached photos) The room was dated and terribly maintained... I had nothing to do with the website photos! I went to the reception and asked for a new room and I got another room exactly like the previous one. This time I had to disconnect the fridge... impossible to sleep with that noise.. Please check the attached photos and compared them with the website.

The rest of the resort was also in a very bad shape, the swimming pool had green marks from the water in several places, there was an air conditioner from the pool kitchen with the water exhaust dropping water directly to the pool... (if the water tastes like fries, you know now why).

The food was terrible! Pizza was like eating an old sponge... There was variety but very bad quality ( If I can suggest, keep it to like 4 options but with better quality). On the first days I could feel a salty taste on the juices (powder juice, don't expect natural fresh ones..) and also a very salty taste on the coffee, I later realised that they were using local tapped water to make them... OMG!

After two days like this, I decided to cancel my second week on Paradisus and promised myself that I will never stay at a Melia hotel anymore.

As a disclaimer, and before people acuse me of being a spoiled tourist... I would like to mention the following. I payed ~250 USD per night in this hotel, flights not included! (not 25 usd on a casa particular) Yes it is Cuba, but these are not Cuban prices! I felt completely fooled by Melia and by looking to the original website photos I have to say that this is a FRAUD! And by the way Mr. General Manager, I booked directly with Melia website, not through a travel agency.

Mr. General Manager, you arrived on the 3rd day of our stay (with your wife and lovely kid), and things improved a lot since you arrived, like the toilets and hand driers were suddenly fixed in 24h (check the photos) the animation team was everywhere that day, including the beach... The food chef was giving it all!!! But this proves that everyone bellow you is not doing their job well and that If I were you, I would not be relaxed when leaving the resort again...

Melia was to me a sign of quality and trust before this experience. Not anymore, I won't stay in Melia again.

During the following week I stayed at a casa particular in Bay of pigs... 25usd, amazing room, amazing food, smiles and thanks from the owner to stay there....

Date of stay: December 2019
3  Thank 506ivoa
HGeneralManager, Director Comercial at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2020

Dear Ivo,
Although we sincerely regret reading that your stay at our Sol Cayo Largo fell short of your expectations, we are grateful for the time you spent to share this feedback of your overall holiday experience among us as we certainly believe that there are always aspects for improvement and your constructive feedback is very much appreciated.
We are very sorry for the your perception about our rooms and the inconveniences you had duing your stay, we will certainly look into resolving those issues immediately.

Regarding your discontent with the food offer and service, I will be sure to share your comments with our Executive Chef and our F&B Manager. We know this is one of the main aspects vacationers value during their stay and I apologize if detracted from your experience in at any rate.

For sure, each of your remarks will be analyzed and discussed and we will take the necessary actions to continue improving the quality of our product and services.

Once again, thank you for your time and despite the issues you have raised following your stay, We hope you give us a second chance to change the negative image you got of our services and that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company in the near future.

Best Regards
Sales Team

Reviewed January 4, 2020

Our fourth visit to Sol Cayo Largo! We go back for the beautiful beach and the friendly staff.
The beach this time was washed out with very few palapas available but we still managed to put our lounge chairs on higher grounds. It would have been nice if the staff could have them on the higher plateau area as this is not uncommon for the water to wash out the beach.
Food was ok. The egg and pasta stations were excellent. They had a great buffet for New Year’s Eve.
The rooms need some TLC. We did not have hot water in our first assigned room. We want to thank Julio Abel who really attended to our needs and worked very quickly and found us another room with running hot water. He was so friendly and helpful and kept asking us throughout our stay if we were happy and he was always eager to help. Thanks Julio!! Much appreciated!
Also special thanks to Moya at the disco, Ivo and Osmany at the bar, and Yosimar at the buffet and Guillermo at the beach Chiringuito. They always greeted us with such a big smile no matter how busy and crazy it was. We always felt welcome!
We are looking forward to our next trip at Sol Cayo Largo

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Just2travelerz
HGeneralManager, Director Comercial at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2020

Dear Just2travelerz,
Firstly we would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your recent visit to our Sol Cayo Largo hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your holiday expectations.

We are thrilled to read that you felt welcome and supported from the moment you arrived until the moment you departed and will not fail to share your compliments with the entire team as we know it will be a great source of motivation to keep on going the extra mile. Thank you for referencing so many of our team members by name, as we are now able to reach out to them individually and let them know how they made such a positive impact on your stay.

Again we thank you for this wonderful review, it has been a pleasure for us to read you and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Wishing to welcome you in a short future, I remain at your complete disposal.

Sincerely
Sales Departement

Reviewed January 1, 2020

We are looking to book our seventh trip to Sol Cayo Largo at the end of March 2020. We had great time at Sol Cayo and we are eager to see again the people who work so hard to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
We are also looking forward to see our costumes donated to the resort entertainment team, see pictures.

Dan&Sandy

Date of stay: April 2019
1  Thank dan6266
HGeneralManager, Director Comercial at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2020

Dear Dan&Sandy;
We are very very happy for your fidelity to Cayo Largo and cant wait your return to make feel Just Like Home.See you in March!!.
Kind Regards
Sales Team.

Reviewed January 1, 2020

Having been before I knew what to expect & I was not disappointed. It is not a resort for the wild partiers but more for those looking to relax meet old & new friends being served by some of the friendliest staff anywhere. The resort had been closed for some renovations till just before I arrived & had new management I think this was the reason that some non perishables that should have been in stock when they opened were in short supply a few times during the 1st week but by my 2nd week back to normal. A couple of times due to strong winds the beach at the western end of the resort washed away for a day or so but the main beach was not affected. Checking in & out were both very quick as was the request for checkout extension. Xmas Eve dinner was outstanding in the Buffet with Turkey, Lobster plus a large variety of veggis & deserts. As usual travelled alone but within hours met up with some old & new friends. So if you are looking for a vacation where you can relax on the beach take long walks along the ocean edge & enjoy friendly hospitality of the fantastic staff Sol Cayo is for you. The fact that the majority of the guests were returnees many multiple times says it all.

Room tip: All the rooms are in a quiet area except for a couple close to the theater area.
Date of stay: December 2019
2  Thank Jon P

Dear Jon P;
We are glad to be part of good comments in your stay with us, our main objective is to reach a good memory of vacation in our guest.It is nice share with our staff who feel always motivated to know about our clients enjoy their vacations.Thank you for your kindness and cause you are also Sol Cayo Largo Lover!!!!
Best Regards