“We're going back first week of September 2013”
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

Sol Cayo Largo
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Ottawa, Canada
“We're going back first week of September 2013”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I went the first week of October 2012 and we absolutely fell in love with the place which is why we're so excited to be heading back again on September 2nd. We can't wait to see again some of the amazing staff members we became freinds with on our last trip.

Orly always kept our beer glasses full, Annabel always greeted us with a huge smile at dinner time! There were others too unfortunately I can't remember their names. But big hugs and thank you's to all!!

If you're looking to party, might wanna try Jamaica instead. If you want peaceful relaxation in the Caribbean where you can go for a walk on the beach and suddenly realize you have miles of white sand beach and crystal clear blue ocean to yourself, this place is it!!!

Hola from Canada!! See you again soon :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shane_n_Mavis_Ottawa
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Shane,Mavis:
We are pleased that you have spent a good vacation in Cayo Largo where we certainly have a beautiful beach and thank you very much for to have chosen our Sol Cayo Largo hotel . A big pleasure welcome you bag in a few days.

Thomas Lehnhooff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Port Perry, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just back from a quick, last minute visit (Aug 12-19) and enjoyed the time. It was our third time there.

A slight problem at check in (before lunch arrival...check-in supposedly at 3:00...roompromised by 3:00 but still not ready) Oslaidya (hope I got that right) from customer services and Arlin from Hola Sun made things more or less right (an extra a la carte dinner....free late check out didn't really cut it when pick up for the airport was at 8:00 a.m.) We also got a room change the next day from an area near the pool where we didn't want to be to a quieter area in Hab C. They really came through to keep us happy with a minimum of fuss.

Everything in the room worked well, food and service was good at the bars, Ranchon, the buffet, the a la cartes and the returning guest dinner. Lots of choice at the buffet for breakfast and dinner and nobody seemed to go hungry at the Ranchon for lunch. There were a few flies about but really no problem that I could see.

Hola, por favor, gracias and a few small tips really seem to go a long way towards excellent service. After the first day we were greeted promptly at the buffet and Ranchon and our drink preferences confirmed...by the third the drinks showed up almost as soon as we did and were refilled without us needing to ask.

We spent most of our time (except for the long wait for a room) on the beach so I can't comment on other activities. Work on the western pool was ongoing...it was being filled on Sunday and in use on Monday. Looked really great.

The evening excursion to see turtles coming out of the water, laying eggs and returning was well worth the 10 CUC's (and staying awake after 10:00 p.m.). We also got to see eggs being gathered on the beach during the day and baby turtles released into the ocean...including some that hatched on the beach rather than in the protected areas.

We had virtually no problem with mosquitoes. There were a few buzzing about around at dusk but the turtle excursion (started at 10:00 p.m.) seemed mosquito free. The final morning (around 7:00 to 7:30) after checking out and having coffee in the lobby bar there were a few. Mosquitoes being attracted to heat and C02 the bar in the evening and show area were probably more infested.

There were a few large, biting horsefly type things at the beach but no problem to me. They were easy to spot and to swat.

If you enjoy getting away from everything and just relaxing this is a great place to do it. I do and hope to do it again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank grenadierca
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Clients:
We are pleased about your review published on Trip Advisor regarding your last stay with us and hopefully we wish to welcome back in Cayo Largo as soon as you say.
Kind regards,
Toronto
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I am very late writing this review as I visited the Sol Cayo Largo last October 2012!
I only remembered to put in my opinion now as I plan with any luck, to return this coming October :)
I loved this hotel and I loved this little island as well!
Someone else on here wrote such a poor review that I couldn't help but laugh knowing how inaccurate the review was, and how crabby that poor traveller must be, lol! Some people should just stay home and eat french fries....."No waiters in the lobby"....I hope that was a joke!!!
I went to SCL as a solo female traveller and was treated beautifully at all times by the resort staff (and other visitors as well!) There were very few English speaking people on the resort, but I always found someone to talk to and LOVED the Argentinian men who tipped their hats at me on their way by!
The hotel itself was clean, well kept and when my AC didn't work upon arrival, someone was in my room within 15 minutes to solve the problem. The rooms aren't fancy, but they are clean and that's what matters the most. One thing I might suggest is a small flashlight or headlamp. It's a bit dark in some areas at night and no one wants to step on a big crab!
The beach is unbelievable, from what I understand the high water line is constantly changing as are water conditions so there is no accurate way to predict what you will end up with. Regardless, it's the prettiest beach I've ever strolled and having travelled through much of Southeast Asia, that is saying something!
The food was the best selection I've ever seen in Cuba and I couldn't have gone hungry if I tried. No fresh orange juice? Really people? Who cares! There were 4 other types of fresh juice to choose from. Lots of made on the spot food (omelettes, crepes, BBQ) for the pickier types. One thing I'd like to suggest is more green salad, even if only in the form of cucumbers. Pasta and rice salad is the staple but they get a bit heavy after a few days. When the cucumber stocks ran out I was a sad little monkey.....The buffet was a bit hot with the sun pouring in and I am unfortunately the sweaty type....quick solution, no sunscreen until after breakfast, LOL! Staff in the buffet and Ranchon were all lovely, friendly and quick to help. A special thanks to Nestor and Anabel who greeted me with huge smiles each day, stopped to chat and were quick to find me a table in the shade ;) I was thrilled when Nestor saw me sitting alone and presented me with a photo album of his family....they make you feel not like a guest, but a friend as well. All the staff work very hard, work long hours and miss their families very much so please treat them with the same kindness and respect they show to you.
My only true complaint was the pool. I understand renovations have been made but while I was there (low season) maintenance and cleanliness seemed to fall by the wayside. The fountain in the main pool was off, the water looked cloudy and the pool liner was ripped in several places. That sounds like a silly thing to complain about but the liner was REALLY ripped to the point where water got under it, you could barely walk due to the air/water bubbles and your feet would often touch bare pool bottom where the liner was missing altogether. I like to head to the pool after a day of battling sandy ears on the beach and this pool was not terribly refreshing. So I'm hoping, 'renos' means 'fixed' because it would be a disappointment to find it in the same condition. Having said that, 4 mojitos at the pool bar tended to dull my issues.
Heads up on the mosquito spraying: Although the spraying is done by a very old, very cool to see airplane, you'd best be running inside when you see it because it's spraying the property. I went to dinner early one night and was completely unable to stop coughing for some reason. When I got to the buffet, all the staff and guests were coughing as well and I realized spraying had just occurred and we were all inhaling it. I'm not against the spraying, but I suggest if you notice this reaction you head back to your room for an hour or so, lol!
Bring your bubba cup, a flashlight, bug spray and a good attitude and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank cubancactus
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Lady:
I am very glad to receive your opinions through this important FORUM as it is Tripadvisor. Please, receive our gratitude for choosing and love our Resort and place.
I may assure that I had share your comments with our staff, who felt very happy and motivated to continue working to offer a better quality service.About pool just yesterday we have completed the total renovation.
Wishing to welcome you in october
Kind regards,
Montreal
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Deeply discounted for low season.

Sunshine and warm weather: check. (First days were extremely hot and humid 100F+)
Bars: Plenty of booze. No problemo.
Beach: Miles and miles long, amazing but strong waves. You can take bus to Playa Sirena which is facing south (much calmer).
Pool: One of the pools was closed for renovations but will reopen sometime in September.

Towels: Worn out towels... but don't lose them. Change is once per day.

Clean room: check (After 13 years of operation, they definitely need some refresh though).
Water: One bottle of water per room which can be refilled at bar.
Food: Somewhat repetitive, limited choice, no orange juice.
A La Carte:Las Trinas is the best.

Disco: 4 pesos bus leaves the hotel for the Marina every night 11:30PM. Hilarious experience.

Mosquitoes: Relatively under control. Almost daily spray at around 7PM using a 60 year old aircraft that buzzes the complex and a fumigating unit. Make sure you don't venture outside during the spraying.

FLIES: YIKES!... unfortunately got attacked by blood sucking horse flies near the pool. Allergic reaction resulted in the inflammation of a large areas of skin (2" x 2") lasting a few days. This followed by yellow puss production and crusty buildups.

Definitely bring some DEET in the summer.

Would definitely go back during the high season when it is not as hot and humid.

With a bit of work this hotel has immense potential and the Melia chain has likely realized that this site is a future Cuban Cancun. They plan to enclose the buffet restaurant in the future... a major plus in extreme heat and humidity conditions.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Chairdozer
Dear Clients
We are thankful for been chosen for you to enjoy your vacations in two times .
About the presence of mosquitoes and flies ,be sure we are managing solutions.Thanks for posting that we are making constructive improvements in rooms, restaurant and pool fully restored today.
It will be a great pleasure to receive you once again and that you can enjoy the attractions of the Place.
majce01
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed at this hotel from Aug 2-9. First time in Cayo Largo and many times in Cuba in general.
I must say that this is the worse hotel I stayed at in all places I been including Cayo Coco, Varadero, Holguin, Santa Clara.
Smaller resort, small lobby area nothing special. No waiters in lobby.
Food- worst I had in Cuba by far; not much variety, always same. Not much fish. Very small buffet area and it is open. Breakfast was ok as usual, eggs, crepes, bacon and some patries. No croissants.
No fresh orange juice which was a dissapointment, but they did have mango and some other kinds.
No fresh fruit smoothies. No bananas and poor fruit selection in general. Crepes were nice.
There are a lot of cats and kittens which loved the treats of bacon and salami :) That only buffet was open and there were flies and lots of mosquitos in the evening!! It was horrendous. Make sure you bring your own bug spray and prepare to be eaten alive while you try to eat dinner. There you will be sweating, bcs it was so hot in buffet and mosquitos were constantly biting. I couldn't take it one night and took my plate to our room.
Lunch- option of eating at beach resto Ranchon (bbq and small buffet)- we ate her most of the time- bbq was so so, same food every day rice, fries, sweet potatoes, pizza which was not cooked, some kind of pasta casserole, no salad greens, just cabbage or some kind of bean salad or rice salad :( desserts like 3 kinds and always same, some kind of sponge cake, someting like creme brulée, rice pudding type dessert- or eating at the pool restaurant (burgers, pizza, calzons- I ate once and had a burger, was not good and if you opt for a poutine, expect to get some fries with tomato sauce on top and some shredded cheese lol). So food was not very appetizing. We also got sick one day and had stomach flu. Not sure what was the culprit. I did have a spaghetti that night, so could be that.
Desserts: not many choices of these, always same, NO fried bananas in rum ever, NO ICE CREAM anywhere in resort! I mean come on?
Drinks- plenty
Beach- great although there were a lot of waves and it was hard to swim; beach was not cleaned; there is a lot of shade which was a plus; part of beach was for nudists; You can go visit 2 other beaches there are shuttles few times a day (Beaches Paraiso and Sirenis I think)
Pool- small pool and not deep; only one pool was working as the other one was was renovated all week which sucked and this one was much larger. In the afternoon the pool was packed and you couldnt get a chair. It wasn't cleaned properly either. They didn't have a pump, but just a guy who went it the morning and looked like he was cleaning it, but he wasn't really cleaning, since he didn't have the right tools. So, he just spread the dirt on the bottom with some brush lol.
Animation ppl-they're nice people and kudos to them!
Room 0322- second floor, high ceiling and painted in blue. The room was clean, but old. Bed was very uncomfortable and you could feel the springs with every move. Pillow was too thin. It was cleaned every day and yes we tipped the cleaning lady every day. She did a good job. Bathroom was very old and had rust in and arround the bathub. It was falling apart. Balcony door wasnt locking properly and we had to call someone to fix, he didnt know how to fix and said it was broken, so my bf suggested he just put a screw in a temporary measure. So we had to take the screw out every time we wanted to go out on the balcony and put back in when we would leave to avoid someone coming in.
The metal frame of the bed was broken and was sticking out and this had to be fixed too.
When it was raining, the water was coming through the main door and we had to put towels down, if not all the water comes in!
There isn't much to do in the resort. If I compare to all others area that I've been in Cuba, thumbs down for this resort. Management has a long way to go in order to make this place better in so many areas.
I've been in Playa Pesquero in Holguin last year and was amazing in every way. So, Sol Cayo Largo, thanks but no thanks and we will certainly not be coming back again.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are much better options in more popular areas of Cuba which you won't regret.

Thanks

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank majce01
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed for 12 days at Sol Cayo Largo at the end of April and we will return without a second thought. We had a few small glitches which were attended to immediately. The beach is perfect, the food is great, the facilities are very well-kept, and the staff treated us like gold. Anabel, Miguel Angel, Eduardo, and everyone else are really top-notch service-people and lovely human beings.

No crowds, peaceful, perfect beach, ten minutes from the airport. Some might knock the location as being over the dunes from the beach, but that's by design; these are protected wildlife dunes. Turtles!

Room Tip: All locations seem fine. Suites at either end of the complex might be more shaded.