“9th visit to this resort”
Review of Sol Cayo Largo

Sol Cayo Largo
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Osoyoos, Canada
“9th visit to this resort”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was our 12th visit to Cuba, and our 9th to this resort. One can say that there have been major improvements, especially to the food, over the past year, and the rooms and grounds are very well maintained, BUT....this is still an older resort with the urgent need for a serious upgrade in the very near future. The pools were very clean, no doubt because of Eduardo, who was there every morning by 6am, and rarely left before 6pm, however they have many patches that are coming loose, leaving tears and holes in the liner. This problem was also apparent last year. The beach was fantastic for the first week, but high winds took it all away on the second week we were there, with the water approaching, and in places surrounding the palapas. Beaches at Sirenas and Paridisio were still great, which is where many went. Rooms were tired, but our maid was exceptional, with floors washed every day, and bedding changed regularly. Hot water all the time. As I previously mentioned, kudos to the restuarants. Loads of great food, well prepated. Probably the best we have ever had at this resort. No one should leave dis-satisfied, or hungry. Front desk staff were great as well. All transactions were fast and accurate, from check in to currency exchange, and check out. Even the process at the airport both arriving and departing were much smoother than previous years. There seemed to be a better supply of merchandise at the Cacoral (store) also this year, and big thanks to Ketty... wonderful personality, and very helpful. A real jem!!!. If I am to be totally realistic, I would not rate this as a 4star resort. Probably a 3 at best, compared to others in North America and Europe, however one of the reasons we keep going back is not only the resort, but the wonderful, hard working people, many of whom we now consider as friends. To return there again is like coming home, and despite the shortfalls and deficiencies, we will be back next year.

7 Thank David M
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Clients:
Thanks for feedback about your nine vacations in our hotel,we will keep on working hard in order to increase the quality for the clients who choose us. It will be a great pleasure to receive on your tenth visit for delight the wonders places,beaches ,charm and warmth of the Cuban people.

At your disposal
Thomas Lehnhooff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was my first trip to the Sol and Cayo Largo, and yes, I too will return. The resort is a good hotel with a few luxury features.

It has a comfortable and casual feeling as if it is a private friend's estate: beautiful, landscaped, a place for coffee here, a place for a snack there, everything central and pleasant. For those who crave privacy, there is lots of privacy here. During the day, everyone is at the beach, so you can enjoy quiet and being near the pool.

PELICANO vs. SOL

These 2 hotels are a 5 minute walk from each other. I dropped by the Pelicano. The Sol is a much better hotel.

The Pelicano is quite basic, dated, and almost beyond any repair other than paint. The Pelicano is likely a good, budget hotel for families, esp. those who have children. I didn't like the economy, budget feel of the place. The kids centre is very central in the layout which I personally do not prefer. The landscaping at the Pelicano is very pretty, and it has very unique thatched bungalows where I would love to stay. The beach is shared with the Sol in any event, but the Sol is clearly the better hotel.

FLIGHT

From Toronto, our travel time was estimated at 3 hours and 5 minutes. We arrived in 2 and a half hours. Wonderful.

TRANSFER - 10/10

The transfer to the hotel is about a 5-10 minute drive.

WEATHER - 9/10

Excellent. Variable is the best way to describe it. Mornings are sometimes cool and overcast, and in the evening you need a light sweater but can still wear shorts comfortably. It was usually always warm and pleasant. We had a few days of sunny weather at 32C, but I also like warm, overcast, humid days which we also had.

BEACH

Beauty of Beach - 10/10

The Caribbean at Cayo Largo is in my opinion, one of the wonders of the world. It is turquoise and stunning. The beach is quite long, and I usually spent an hour walking the beach at sunrise and sunset, and was never bored.

Functionality of Beach - 8/10

Usually, the Caribbean Sea in Cuba is shallow and tranquil near the beach, and quite animated more out to sea. But at Cayo Largo, it is animated right at the beach. It is windy in the winter and there are many waves. If you look at Accuweather, you can see the speed of the sea. I was discouraged at first by these waves and wind, but grew to love it. The sea is very shallow so it is possible to wade out quite a distance and still be knee high and surf the waves. For that reason, I would rate the functionality of the sea for those who love to wade and surf as 9/10.

The sea was warm and always comfortable. The beach and sandbars are very wide in places, but ebb and flow with the tide.

ROOMS - 7.5

Very quaint and unique just like Cayo Largo. If you like arched ceilings, get a second floor room which adds to the beauty of the room. My only very minor complaint is to suggest that you ask your maid to wash the floors and the table surfaces each day. There were small tropical ants in my room that can easily be addressed with a good washing. The bathrooms need minor work - a bit of rust, some broken tile.

POOL - 9.5/10

I am not a pool person, but I could not resist having an afternoon siesta under a palapa along the very long and winding pool. Beautiful, serene and mostly quiet.

BAR - 9/10

It is open 24 hours per day, and you can grab a cafe au lait or pina colada any time. The shortbread cookies found here and at the buffet are delicious. It had outdoor tables and is a great place to lounge

SNACK BAR - 9/10

This is a place for excellent pizza and Quebecois menu. I didn't try the poutine. Everything I had was delicious. Look for Oscar and Mikhail - nice guys who couldn't treat me well enough. This is also a very nice outdoor place, and great place to hang out.

BUFFET - FOOD - 8/10

Surprisingly good food for Cuba. Cayo Largo is a small island, and all food is shipped in. So one day, you may find plentiful tomatoes, the next day, broccoli. Lots of food, and lots of variety. Lots of fresh fruit throughout the day: papaya, guava etc. Vegetables were fresh. The buffet is an open, lovely restaurant. Great place for breakfast, closed at lunch, re-opens for dinner.

BEACH RESTAURANT - RANCHON - 10/10

Wow, this is the place to go for lunch. It is a raised, wood building with ocean views. Spectacular. There is a BBQ everyday outside the restaurant, and you can bring your food inside. Good variety of food indoors as well. Please tip Hanoi who cooks the BBQ - it is very smokey, and hard work. The Ranchon becomes the Cubana, a specialty restaurant, at night. The menu is simple, but the food is good and the Ranchon is gorgeous in the evening.

OTHER SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS

International - 8/10

Very nice dining room. Food is average: had a delicious soup and dessert here. Service is very attentive and for that reason, fun. Soup poured for you etc.

Italian restaurant - I am not going to rate this restaurant, but will suggest that a better venue could be found. It is held at the snack bar which is too big and gloomy at night. The food in the buffet: lasagna, pasta station is much better than what I had at the Italian restaurant. Menu and venue need to be changed.

SPA - 9.5/10

I loved the spa. I had several massages and a sauna every day. The outdoor whirlpools are dated, and I didn't use them. But still, a very special service.

CATS

These cats are not indigenous to Cuba, and unfortunately many Cubans do not like them. Please remember these cats are working cats. Cayo Largo is in the country yet there are very few rodents at the hotel. There is no over-population of birds sitting on buffet dishes or on your table.

Kudos to management for looking into neutering the cats. Unfortunately, some of these cats eat once every 2-3 days. Ask management if they have scraps of food that you can give the cats. Some cats are like your own pets. Others are so frightened, they hide all the time and never get food unless you patiently wait for them to eat. I loved the cats and I hope other tourists will care for them. With a few exceptions, most of them are beautiful and in very good shape.

TIPS

I usually give away $10 per day in tips. It's not a lot, and sometimes I give twice as much. This hotel is frequented by Italians and Argentinians who don't seem to tip. Remember that even if you think the maid is scoring $$$, she likely is not, and the small amounts you to give to employees are brought back to their families to improve their lives modestly. Be as generous as you can - you are on vacation! Don't forget the outside workers.

OVERALL

This is a gem of a hotel, that really can become an excellent spot with some improvements if attention is given to the small but important things: beautiful grounds, painting that does not cover stairs and plants with white splotches of paint, and care and attention to the comfort of tourists. For example: chairs are needed at the front of the hotel, the dozens of tropical plants growing wild at the front of the hotel could be managed and planted on the grounds etc.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
13 Thank Finn F
Dear clients:
Thanks for posting your impressions on your first stay in Sol Cayo Largo.
Your opinion is valuable because your suggestions about some necessary improvements are very important for better service, satisfaction and loyalty of our guests.
It is good to know that Sol Cayo Largo will be your choice in next trips.

Best Regards,
Olds, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We really enjoyed our recent and third visit to the Sol. Check in was efficient and management graciously responded to our request for a quiet room away from the activities. Our room was very clean and suited us perfectly. We were really impressed with recent changes to the main buffet and general attention to detail throughout the resort. Last year we experienced stray voltage electrical shocks at the serving trays but all of those old fixtures have been replaced with new ones. The food was very good and seemed to be better than last year.

Our only negative point relates to the lack of direct air service from Western Canada. The nasty layover in PET airport was only made worse by the late night milk run through Toronto on the way back to Calgary.

Even with the travel challenges, we will definitely will be back again! Thanks alot to all the staff at SCL.

3 Thank AlbertaFarmers
Dear clients:
We are proud to be part of your good comments, as special customers who choose our beautiful destination over and over.Thanks for posting that we are working to improve the image and services in order to succeed the expectations of our customers, for your loyalty and kind words about our staff.

It will be a great pleasure to receive you soon
Best regards,
Warsaw, Warszawa, Poland
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in January 2013 in Sol Cayo Largo and it was great! Very nice people, very friendly, the rooms were always tidy and cleaned daily. We stayed in room no 2412 which was very close to the beach. The beach is sandy with nice white sand, however it is not very wide :(

If you are seeking for nice nudist beaches, Sol Cayo Largo is perfect for you! The water in the Carribean Sea is very warm (especially at sunrise :) and ideal for a nude swim ;) Be careful though, as the sea tends to be in unrest...

The rooms are OK, the only complaint we had was low water pressure in the shower.

The food is fine although it is very different to what Europeans are used to. A lot of meat, not many vegetables and you can be surprised with not a wide scope of fruits.

However, the stay was great and I can fully recommend it!

2 Thank Michal M
Dear client,
I am very glad for your opinions through important FORUM as it is Tripadvisor. Receive our gratitude for choose Sol Cayo Largo.
Thanks for your comments ,we really appreciate them . The variety of foods are one of most important improvement opportunities to work on everyday.
Thank you for to recommend our hotel and destination. We would be pleased in welcome you back.
Best regards,
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have just returned from our first visit to this hotel January 18-25, 2013 and our overall impression was very positive. Check in was instant(never happened before at any of the other hotels we stayed at), great front desk staff. Room was very clean and great location 1621, all the staff that we encountered were very courteous and efficient. The grounds were well kept and beautiful.

As seniors we found the access to the beach after the boardwalk was difficult due to the flat rocks covered with sand. The food was good and some days better.Never had a problem with getting clean towels either for the room or the beach.

Overall we would definitely return to this hotel and would recommend it.

Sincerely

Guests from Niagara Falls, Canada

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1621, beware there are 22 steps up to the room, lower level would be better especi...
7 Thank s y
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Srs Yazaroglu:

We are proud to be part of good comments in your first stay with us , our main objective is to reach a good memory of vacation in our guest.I am very glad to share with our staff who feel always motivated to know how do our clients enjoy their vacations.
Thank you for your kindness and we are happy to welcome back.

Best Regards
montreal
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent a week Jan 10-17, this is my 4th time going to the Sol Cayo Largo..I will never go to any other resort on this island this is the best so far.... I had as usual a great time at the hotel. the food was ok, not the best but you can not expect more as it is Cuba, It is not Montreal or France....The only thing I would removed from the menu a la carte is the salmon, do not serve frozen salmon.. I had it the night of my birthday, and I had to returned it...it was hard like rock.

I was disappointed, as it was my birthday, I was turning 50..... I had requested a room on the ocean front.... we had a nice room from our concierge... we had some views from our room of the ocean....it was room 2921... but I saw during my stay....empty ocean front rooms..at least 6...I am sorry but this is high season and during high season... if I may suggest...do not do repairs of rooms....repair them before the high season ...... She told us she had one left... and she couldn't give it to us...that was the downside..

Service is good from every part of the hotel, althought I was refused a bottle of water...I am really sorry, but I work for an hotel in Montreal...and I would never refuse a bottle of water to our customer.. I do pay... I am a customer...so I expect to get at least a bottle of water when I asked for one.....I had to go to the front desk and begged the concierge, which she was very nice and gave me one...too bad I do not remember her name...but she gave us our room when we checked in on the 10th...Also you need to fix your air conditionning and your fan in your rooms... they are noisy :)but this is not a big deal....

Cezar and crew in the restaurant....are always....soooo nice...and generous....and always give an excellent service...It was on Jan 16 the birthday of his work partner in the restaurant which I do not remember his name...we gave him lots of gift on that night....so Thomas, please say HI to him from us..... people from Montreal.... I have to say that the person who is making the eggs and omelettes in the morning... is getting very good at it.....

Beaches.....beaches...and beaches...... I have to say that when we arrived....it was windy....and the ocean was moving a lot....of course their was a lot of algues on the beach...but I have a concern to express..... Cuba needs to clean their beaches from the plastic bottles....it's everywhere when you walk along the beach going toward west.....that's why WE people are going there...it's for your pristine beaches....so please Thomas...pass on the message to all your Hotels managers and the Mayor or responsible of the Island.... you NEED to do something about the bottles and sandals...and all garbages on the beaches...PLEASE....

And finally.... I will return next year for sure...as always.... it is a real paradise....so close to home..... thanks again to all of you Cubans to make it a paradise :)....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank frequentflyer45
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We spent 3 weeks in January at the Sol Cayo Largo, this is are 10th time there we want to say hi to a couple of our friends (Ibelisese, Noel, Micheal, Ivo), The weather was great mid 80`s no rain during the day rained sometimes late at night, we had a great time the food was great lots of choices from fresh fruit, pasta, vegitables, pork, beef, ect.

They were renovating 16 Hotel units while we were there, looking very nice...The Beach is beautiful and the coast line is a little ruff at places, this is a place to relax and enjoy nature and your stay..

This is not a place for childrend if you have kids go next door to the Sol Pelicano they are equiped with alot of acttivity`s for childrend even daycare childrends pool, ect.

The Cuban people make you feel at home and will go out of there way to please you or to help you, they work very hard they work 20 day`s a month and 12 hours per day for 15 pesos a month so if you can help please leave a peso for you maid, waiter, and the grounds keeper that will get a coconut from the tree and will open it up for you to drink....

This year there were people from Italy, Russia, Canada, Argentine, England, Germany. we met alot of nice people and new friends,

We will be back again next year....

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter try the ocearnvieu 3624 very nice
6 Thank RayPatpottawa
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Patrice and Ray:

We are proud to be part of your good comments, as special customers who choose our beautiful destination over and over attracted by the charm of beaches and the kindness of Cubans .It will be a great pleasure to receive you next year.

My Best.
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
#10 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!