“Paradise!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
montreal
“Paradise!!!!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent a week Jan 10-17, this is my 4th time going to the Sol Cayo Largo..I will never go to any other resort on this island this is the best so far.... I had as usual a great time at the hotel. the food was ok, not the best but you can not expect more as it is Cuba, It is not Montreal or France....The only thing I would removed from the menu a la carte is the salmon, do not serve frozen salmon.. I had it the night of my birthday, and I had to returned it...it was hard like rock.

I was disappointed, as it was my birthday, I was turning 50..... I had requested a room on the ocean front.... we had a nice room from our concierge... we had some views from our room of the ocean....it was room 2921... but I saw during my stay....empty ocean front rooms..at least 6...I am sorry but this is high season and during high season... if I may suggest...do not do repairs of rooms....repair them before the high season ...... She told us she had one left... and she couldn't give it to us...that was the downside..

Service is good from every part of the hotel, althought I was refused a bottle of water...I am really sorry, but I work for an hotel in Montreal...and I would never refuse a bottle of water to our customer.. I do pay... I am a customer...so I expect to get at least a bottle of water when I asked for one.....I had to go to the front desk and begged the concierge, which she was very nice and gave me one...too bad I do not remember her name...but she gave us our room when we checked in on the 10th...Also you need to fix your air conditionning and your fan in your rooms... they are noisy :)but this is not a big deal....

Cezar and crew in the restaurant....are always....soooo nice...and generous....and always give an excellent service...It was on Jan 16 the birthday of his work partner in the restaurant which I do not remember his name...we gave him lots of gift on that night....so Thomas, please say HI to him from us..... people from Montreal.... I have to say that the person who is making the eggs and omelettes in the morning... is getting very good at it.....

Beaches.....beaches...and beaches...... I have to say that when we arrived....it was windy....and the ocean was moving a lot....of course their was a lot of algues on the beach...but I have a concern to express..... Cuba needs to clean their beaches from the plastic bottles....it's everywhere when you walk along the beach going toward west.....that's why WE people are going there...it's for your pristine beaches....so please Thomas...pass on the message to all your Hotels managers and the Mayor or responsible of the Island.... you NEED to do something about the bottles and sandals...and all garbages on the beaches...PLEASE....

And finally.... I will return next year for sure...as always.... it is a real paradise....so close to home..... thanks again to all of you Cubans to make it a paradise :)....

2 Thank frequentflyer45

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We spent 3 weeks in January at the Sol Cayo Largo, this is are 10th time there we want to say hi to a couple of our friends (Ibelisese, Noel, Micheal, Ivo), The weather was great mid 80`s no rain during the day rained sometimes late at night, we had a great time the food was great lots of choices from fresh fruit, pasta, vegitables, pork, beef, ect.

They were renovating 16 Hotel units while we were there, looking very nice...The Beach is beautiful and the coast line is a little ruff at places, this is a place to relax and enjoy nature and your stay..

This is not a place for childrend if you have kids go next door to the Sol Pelicano they are equiped with alot of acttivity`s for childrend even daycare childrends pool, ect.

The Cuban people make you feel at home and will go out of there way to please you or to help you, they work very hard they work 20 day`s a month and 12 hours per day for 15 pesos a month so if you can help please leave a peso for you maid, waiter, and the grounds keeper that will get a coconut from the tree and will open it up for you to drink....

This year there were people from Italy, Russia, Canada, Argentine, England, Germany. we met alot of nice people and new friends,

We will be back again next year....

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter try the ocearnvieu 3624 very nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RayPatpottawa
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Patrice and Ray:

We are proud to be part of your good comments, as special customers who choose our beautiful destination over and over attracted by the charm of beaches and the kindness of Cubans .It will be a great pleasure to receive you next year.

My Best.
saint john n.b.
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Spent a week January 10-17,2013 at this resort with my daughter and 2 friends I.have stayed at many Melia complexes before but this was an unexpected delight. It was a quiet smaller resort, not without great entertainment I might add.Enjoyed the service from all who worked there. Felt that the workers enjoyed their work and did not expect tips for all the attention which they gave.
Fabulous dancers in the entertainment group, especially the graceful and amazing "Sasha".
Everyone was so kind. Just wish I could have included a visit to the magic ISLA De JUVENTAD . Maybe next time.
I would recommend this to all who are looking for relaxation with no commercialization.Truly a great experience.
If you like fresh fish , this is the place. Different every day.Greatest mohitos ever.
The management are working constantly on upgrading . Remember these thing take time! And this is Cuba. Thankfully it is still a land with a heart and soul!
Cuba is what you make it as is life. If you don't like it find another niche, and leave the rest and best to us : THE "CUBANISTAS"

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and it was good but friends were on the first and that was good also. If yo...
2 Thank irishSaintJohnN_b_
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear client
It is a pleasure to receive comments about your vacations in Sol Cayo Largo. We are proud to hear from you positively during the stay at the hotel and that is why we effort every day. Our customers and their satisfaction is our main goal.
Thanks for your desire to return, loyalty, your kind words about our staff and mostly for Cubans.. It would be great welcome bag.

My Best.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We travelled to the Sol, Cayo Largo for 2 weeks September 2012.
That was out 4rth trip to the Sol in as many years.

We travel to the south 3 times per year, and this is the only resort that we have ever returned to.

It's a very special place. For us, it's ... well, romantic.

Certainly the people are a big part of the attraction, not only the wonderful Cuban workers, who are extremely kind and gentle,
but also the other tourists, many of whom have become friends even after our return.
The management team have, on many occasions, gone out of their way to provide us with our requests.

We love to go for 2 weeks, it gives a chance to really unwind and relax.
We rent a jeep and explore - you would be surprised at what you can find.
The evening catamaran cruise was really fun, we will do it again for sure.
September was a little more quiet than we like... I think I prefer October or November.

Overall, I just love this place, and we can't wait to return.

Feel free to ask us any questions.
Danny et Claude,
Terrebonne, Quebec

Room Tip: We like overlooking the pool, Block 2 or 3
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Danny&Claude
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent a week Jan 10-17 and had a wonderful time. There are only a few resorts on this spectacular island, and I would say this one is the best. The water is beautiful and the coast line rugged in places, but the sandy beaches are close by. The food was fine and accommodations acceptable, but not a 4 or 5 by Canadian/US standards.. but then again..this is Cuba and you go for the sun, meeting great people and enjoying the Cubans. After all Cuba best quality is its people. This is a very tranquil area, if you are looking for piece and quiet, this is the place for you. Everything was neat and clean.. just a little tired, but they are continually working on upgrading this resort. The service was great. We would go again... great value for sun and fun!

2 Thank Michelle L
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear clients:
We really appreciate opinion that you have published on Trip Advisor. It is important to know your experiences to improve our work and services.
We are going to publish comments to our staff who have served and made pleasurable your stay.It will be a great pleasure for us to receive you once again for delight the wonders beaches and warmth of the Cuban people.
At your disposal

Laval, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel pool was completely redone when I was there. Was pleased sheets and towels seem to be new and my maid was superb. She attended to my every need, was very pleasant and made nice towel animals every day. The ocean and weather were amazing...No complaints. The management left me a complimentary bottle of rum and there was a special cocktail for returning guests. A photo was taken of the event and a picture was sent by e mail to participants. Unfortunately the last 5 days I was very ill. My own fault....Do noy take ice in your drinks. Renovations still must continue though because I had an incident the last night which I will not go into or let it spoil my review. My wonderful maid took care of my problem and I am sure the reparation to the room above me was taken care of after my departure the next day. All in all if you want the besy beach ever and the nicest staff this is the place to go.

Room Tip: I like the rooms near the snack bar,,,300 400 500 600 stayed in all of them.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bubbabares
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Clients
We are thankful for feedback about your vacations in our hotel.Thanks for posting that we are working in maintenance programs to further improve the image and services in order to succeed the expectations of our customers.
We would like to welcome you back again just because our beautiful beachs, quietness, cuban people, or because a new reason to meet in Sol Cayo Largo.
Best regards,
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Overall a great Cuban hotel. This was our 2nd time at this hotel and 4th visit to the island and we will return. Definitely a place to go if you like great beaches.
The airport process for arriving and departing is not the smoothest and can be frustrating. We had a direct flight from Toronto to the island.

FOOD
It has improved since our last stay-2 years ago but is still not what many would consider top quality-remember it is a small Cuban island and everything has to be brought from the main island. There are no signs of any crops grown on the island. We certainly did not go hungry and there were many choices and the main meat changed daily.

The breakfast offered two stations for omelettes or fried eggs as well as one station for crepes. There were cold meats, fruits (some canned) and hard boiled eggs available as well. No one could go hungry.

The Pool Restaurant had a good selection for lunch and the pizzas were very good. There is a new Food Service Manager, Juan, and he certainly was using a hands-on approach, changing table cloths, setting up tables, etc. setting a great example for the staff.

ROOMS
We had an Oceanview and it was very good. The bed was comfortable and we both slept well every night. The air conditioning worked well and the ceiling fan also helped. The room was clean as well as the bathroom. It was not the most modern bathroom but served the purpose well.

BEACH
Great sand beach and for two or three days we could not go into the water for the high waves from a very high wind. There are lots of beach chairs and we were able to walk for a long way to the west on the no building side of the resort. We heard that a different resort had most of its sand beach washed away.
We frequented the naturist beach at the far end and found it a long way to the beach bar. The staff at the beach bar seemed to object occasionally to our carrying larger containers of beer so avoid a long trip.

FRONT DESK
The check in was efficient and the staff friendly. After we checked in we noticed that there was a special check in location for repeat customers. Check out was efficient as well and the staff at the desk were able to handle customers with many different languages.

SUMMARY
Great resort and friendly staff who try hard to help you. Cuba has a tough time getting the latest supplies so do not expect the same as you would from a 5 star resort in the US or Canada. There were guests from England, Italy, Russia, Germany, Mexico and Argentina so they must be doing something right. We go for the beach as it is one of the best we have experienced and not crowded.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Londonhobby
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Mrs, We are pleased because let us know you will be return again. It makes us feel motivated. Regarding the details you have mentioned on the review we are working in order to improve . We will be honored and would be nice to welcome you .

Best Regards
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!