“Vacation Paradise”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
Montreal, Canada
“Vacation Paradise”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We went for 10 days last November 7th. And now we will return this September 2, 2011 for 2 weeks.

We love so many things about this resort. The staff are remarkable and so friendly and eager to help with any issue you may have.
We had a problem with hot water and they did their best and moved us to another room.

This resort really appreciates repeat guests. They treat us very well.

The beaches are ... well, maybe the best in all of Cuba.
The rooms are colorful and really makes you feel like you are on vacation!
The 2nd floor rooms are our favorite, with the vaulted ceiling.

The restaurants and buffet - good food and exceptional service.

And the entertainment, always special.

I have only good things to say about the Sol, Cayo Largo.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.

Danny and Claude

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Danny&Claude
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear Clients
We are proud to be part of your good comments, we will keep on working hard in order to increase the level of service and maintain the highest standard for the clients who choose us as perfect destination. It will be a good pleasure to receive you once again.
Best regards
Fabrizio Testoni.
Hotel Sol Cayo Largo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
southern ontario
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Long flight with Canjet included breakfast, and a stop in Santiago. We sat on the tarmac for close to an hour with the doors open and the air on, so it was fine. Expected the stop, so no biggie.
Ten minutes off the plane and we had exited immigration, picked up luggage and were heading for the bus. We got a kick out of the drug sniffing dog climbing right up on the belt with the luggage. Don't think too much gets by this guy!
We had asked for a second floor room with a king bed and that's what we got. We were close to the pool, overlooking the spa and have no complaints. We received a bottle of sparkling wine because it was our anniversay. Nice touch. The pools were clean and very attractive. No shortage of chairs or shade at the pool or on the beach while we were there. We appreciated the book exchange at the towel hut.
We used the spa ior pedicures only but it seemed very popular. First time for DH.
We did not enjoy the train ride to Sirena Beach and took the taxi back for two pesos each. A second train came along for anyone who could not get in the first one. We noticed some people had left in disgust when all they needed to do was wait a minute! Once at the beach, there were not enough chairs. Considering that it is the hotel's "Beach Club" maybe that should be addressed. We took a cooler bag with some juice and a few beers. Less wave action there but still too wavy to snorkel so they would not let anyone use the equipment that day. Very pretty place.
Usually we skip the tour guide info session but this time we attended because we wanted to book the boat trip. We took a trip on the Coco Club that included snorkelling, Iguana island and a lobster dinner. It was terrific. Meal was great, open bar and friendly staff. We stayed on the water till sunset. I did not enjoy being buzzed by the plane that sprays for insects so if I went again it would not be in the summer when the mosquito is king of Cayo Largo.
Food was good by Cuban standards. One night we had roast turkey, another night roast pork and then red snapper. There was a pasta station and lots of mystery choices too. Breakfast had two egg stations and a woman who made crepes. The desserts were up and down and we favoured the flambeed bananas with a scoop of ice cream. In ten trips to the Caribbean I have never been sick but this time Montezuma arrived with a vengeance. I thought I was being careful, avoiding the sun, limiting booze intake etc. but it was one heck of a night hugging the toilet bowl. Met several others who suffered to some degree with the same thing.
Unlike previous reviewers we found the staff to be charming, whether we had a tip in hand or not. We had great service from Guillermo in the buffet. We gifted the ladies in the shop with some running shoes one day, and when we were checking out they brought us a bag with a cigar and a little ornament. That was a real treat for us and most unexpected. It felt very genuine.
My DH loved the beach and although I enjoyed the beauty of it, the waves were too much for me. We walked east for about an hour and saw very few people. Loved that.
Did not watch the shows at night preferring a good book over the mosquito repellent that would be required to stay out.
There were very few English speakers at the resort but the couples we met from Ontario were great fun. Most guests seemed to be from S. America, Italy and Quebec. For that reason I would not recommend this resort to someone travelling alone but for couples it's just great.
DH would go back in a minute, but I' don't think so despite many many pluses the pleasant staff being number one.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms felt more spacious because of the high ceilings.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank susierotolo
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Dear clients,
It was a pleasure for our staff to attend you during your stay where you were celebrating your wedding anniversary. Thank you for to have chosen our hotel for this important moment.
We would like to welcome you back again just because our beautiful beach or because a new reason to meet Cuban friends in Sol Cayo Largo.
Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I was amazed at the discrepancies between reviews here: some folks loved the place, others hated it. Reality probably lies somewhere in the middle, because we found both pros and cons. I'll share a few of mine.

Pros

1. It's not work. Keep your eye on the big picture.
2. The beaches are beautiful, with deep turquoise water and white sand
3. Scooters are old and frail, but the service was reliable and they're fun. Inhale the perfume on the wind (from the flowers) as you drive up the long, winding road to the hotel.
4. Enjoyed the spaaah...massage, mud treatments, jacuzzi and gym all set back from the main drag. Good quality at a reasonable price. Gym was impressive, and apparently they have classes like yoga and tai chi daily that I planned to make but never did.
5. Consider the turtle-release and beach visit over two consecutive nights. Second part is a middle-of-the-night hike to see a sea turtle(s) lumber up from the beach, dig a hole, lay about 100 eggs and then lumber back to the sea. Tiring and physically demanding, but miraculous to see.
6. No effusive praise, no strong complaints. Food was ok, though it all seems to have a standard taste and smell across resorts. Rooms were fine; etc. A basic exchange of money for services.

Cons

1. The beach is, generally, too rough to be swimmable. You will have to take their little commuter train, or a cab, offsite to a public beach.
2. NOT ENOUGH, not enough, not enough. Not enough seats on the beach train. Not enough palapas at any of the beaches or around the pool. Not enough turkey at the buffet. I actually saw a grown woman take off in a sprint from the lineup when the beach train arrived -- very undignified. There`s constant anxiety about being left out or left befhind, constant competition with other patrons for scarce resources.
3. Surly staff -- the worst I`ve seen in Cuba, or anywhere else. Unless you`re a pretty young woman, in which case they`ll flirt and fawn like nobodoy`s business.
4. The mosquitos can eat you alive, and the buffet restaurant is open air. Food is covered with flies, and you are covered with mosquitos. Plus they make no attempt to shoo away the legions of cats who sit and stare up at you hungrily while you eat. One night, after eyeing us at length, a cat jumped up onto the table and knocked my plate over.
5. The resort is very spread out, requiring a great deal of walking - a bummer if you forget something somewhere and have to traipse all the way back. But more worrisome is the lack (absence) of lighting throughout the property at night -- very unnerving given the presence of snakes, lizards, giant crabs and all manner of nocturnal creatures on the island.
6. Poor communication, or lack of information. Little information is posted, and it is rare for anyone from the hotel to offer verbal assistance. You get on a bus that you deduce is the one you want -- and it is, except the driver doesn`t tell you he`s doing a circuit that will take you to every other hotel on the island. You`re confused: maybe you got on the wrong bus. Or you don`t get a spot on the last train leaving from the beach. Nobody tells you if another is coming...so you panic, fearing you`ll be stranded at the beach overnight.

We had a great vacation, but there were many small irritations we had to overlook. I doubt we`ll go back there again; there are places in Cuba we like a lot more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank wonog
Dear client,
Thank you for letting us know your impressions about your recently stay in Sol Cayo Largo. Your opinion it has been really valuable because you gave us important elements in order to achieve a better service and client’s satisfaction.
We would be honored if you decide to choose our hotel in the future and we will be pleased in greet you in person.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband and 4 year old stayed here for 1 week in June. We got a great deal from Hola Sun vacations. We flew CanJet and the service was fantastic.

The resort claims to be a 4* but I would really only give it a 2.5* or 3* at the most. The grounds fairly well kept though when we were there, none of the water features were working. The pool is very nice but does need some repairs (ripped liner etc.).

There is a beach at the hotel but it can be difficult to access and varies in width substantially from day to day. There always seemed to be lots of beach chairs available. The other option is to take the free shuttle train to one of the nearby beaches. Not as convenient, but the beaches are spectacular.

The beds are not very comfortable but overall the rooms are fine, if basic.

The food is my biggest gripe. I had been warned about the food in Cuba in general but was still very disappointed. Food sits out way too long and a lot of it looked questionable. Even though there was lots of choice, there were actually very few things I felt comfortable eating or giving my son. We travel a lot and are open to trying many different cuisines but this was more a question of food safety. Better to stick with the pasta, pizza and grilling stations. The poolside cafe was good, as was the international a la carte restaurant.

My other major complaint was that you had to tip for absolutely Everything. You did not get served and nothing got done unless you tipped. If you want your room cleaned before 5pm, make sure you leave a tip! If you want to get served at a restaurant or bar you have to tip.

All in all, it is an average resort but not great, As long as you do not expect too much and are prepared to tip, you will be fine. If you can get a good package deal, then it is actually a very good value.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank krm500
Dear Mrs,
We would like to thank you for feedback about your vacations in our hotel.
We have taken note about some details that you kindly have let us know and specifically about some member staff behavior we would like you to accept apologizes. It is very important for our daily performance to receive your comments.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future in Sol Cayo Largo or in other Meliá Hotels International´s resort.
Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2011

This was my 6th vacation to Cuba and my 2nd stay at Sol Cayo Largo. All in all I was quite disappointed with many aspects of our stay. First, the service was very poor. When we sat down for breakfast, the staff did not bring us cutlery or ask us if we would like a drink. Unfortunately the poor service did not stop here. When the maid did not clean our room one day we called the front desk. They said they would notify the maid and she would arrive at our room soon. We had to call the desk four more times and visit the desk twice in person. When this did not work my boyfriend sat outside the stock room to wait for the maid! After two hours of chasing the maid we finally got our room cleaned and received a bottle of water. In addition, on several occassions we also received very rude looks from the staff and even witnessed one staff member mocking us. We spoke with several other vacationers and we all agreed that the staff seem to expect constant tips. In other words, unless you are constantly giving out pesos, you will be ignored and treated rudely. The food was also a disappointment. Since I have been to Cuba before, I know that the food is not gourmet. However, I did not expect the a la carte restaurants to "recycle" those foods that were served during lunch! All in all my boyfriend and I agreed that we got what we paid for. I definitely recommend spending a bit more money to stay at a better resort.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank cp17189
Dear Mrs,
We really appreciate your opinion that you have published on Trip Advisor. It is important to know your experiences to improve our work and services.
I would like to apologize for not being able to cover your expectations especially for some staff´s attitudes not according with the courtesy we used to give in Sol Cayo Largo which by the way it has been through years a strong characteristic. We are going to analyze besides other important details. Thank you once more for let us know your impressions.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back if you decide to return to Sol Cayo Largo hotel.
Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I stayed here with my father and sister for 8 nights. It was our second time here and we love it. As soon as we arrived at the hotel to check in we were taken to our rooms in a golf buggy driven by the staff. We had two rooms between the 3 of us, my father had his own room and I shared with my sister. The room was very spacious, we had a double bed each, their was air conditioning and a tv, the balcony was big and had a table and chairs. The bathroom was nice and had free tolitaries. The decoration of the room was also very nice.

There are two swimming pools at the hotel. One is bigger than the other and has a net for volleyball as well as shallow pool for children. The other pool where we spent most our time had a bar you could swim up to and an island you can swim around. There were plenty of sunloungers and parasols to give you shade.

There are also other facilities at the hotel. It has a private beach which is only a couple of minutes walk away from the middle of the hotel. There is another bar here as well as an outside bar in the centre of the resort. Theres a stage where theres a show every night. The shows were brilliant with different themes every night. There was a band one night, a cuban dancing show, a show with music and dances from different films. Theres a spa and fitness centre which has all the equipment as well as jacuzzis, tennis courts and a climbing wall. I had a lovely full body massage. There are two shops on the resort which sell souvenirs and essentials. There is one indoor bar which has internet and two free pool tables. The strawberry dauqiris in there are the best ive ever had!!!!

The resort is all inclusive so food and drink are free. There was a buffet breakfast. The breakfast offered a variety of foods. There was fruit, cereal and pastries. There were also different stations where you could go to to get your food made for you on the spot and how you like it. They could make any type of egg, omelette or pancakes. There was also different cold and warm meats. Lunch was in the pool bar and there was a menu you could choose from. This had salads, sandwiches, pasta, burgers, pizza etc. For dinner there are three restaurants. The main buffet restaurant offers different food. Theres different stations so your food is cooked in front of you, theres pasta, meat or fish. There is also salads, deserts, meat and other things aswell. The other two restaurants are a la carte. One is indoors and one is outdoors next to the beach. The food at these is both very nice.

There are many different activities you can do outside the hotel. Theres a free train that takes you to the beach. Its a beautiful beach with white sand and bright blue water. Theres another beach called playa sirena. This is also very beautiful and here I went swimming with dolphins, It was an amazing experience. In the town there is a turtle sanctuary. It only costs 1 peso to get in which is about 60p. Here you can hold and feed the turtles they have rescued and they have lots of information on turtles. In the town there is also a shop, a market, a marina, a playground and a cafe. There is also a diving centre which 2 years ago I learnt how to scuba dive. Theres a fishing centre aswell which offers spectacular fishing run by a company called Avalon. At night the hotel can take you to the local disco on the coach. here you can dance to cuban music and a lot of the cubans go here so it is a real cuban disco!!!

The best thing about the hotel is the staff. They are all so lovely and make your stay really special. Even if you cant speak spanish the staff can speak english and other languages. Staying there for 8 nights we got to know the staff as we had the same staff serve us at meal times and also alex the manager is very nice and is always around to say hello or if you have any questions.

It was such an amazing holiday I cant wait to go back again. Its such a beautiful country, with lovely people and lots to do I would definately recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Sealion13
HGeneralManager, General Manager at Sol Cayo Largo, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Dear Sealion,
We would like to thank you for your nice feedback and we are going to publish your comments to our staff who have served you during your stay. They would love to see you back in the future.
Sans Souci, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We went here last summer, our second Sol Cayo Largo visit plus the 2nd time we went for a summer caribbean getaway. We decided to post this late 2nd review for those who are researching Sol Cayo Largo as a summer destination for this year. This is just a quick over-view of what to expect in the summer, basically a run-down of what we found that differed from our first visit the prior February.

When we vacation, we look for a Caribbean tropical atmosphere of remoteness & ruggedness, quiet secluded uncrowded beaches and beautiful tropical gardens that contribute to a "Robinson Crusoe" destination. We also appreciate good food, lush & stunning surroundings and attentive staff. Sol Cayo Largo, other than the "lushness", meets these items on our list, but in a much more rustic, unhurried, leisurely fashion than the other resorts we've been to.

What can we say that could add to our first relaxing "laid-back beach" experience at Sol Cayo Largo, except to say that our 2nd visit was just as "easy-going"! Once again, we definitely wanted to enjoy the spectacular Cayo Largo vistas that we loved so much on our first visit, so we booked that type of room and "paid the piper" to guarantee this right up front. We ended up situated in the quiet and private western location requested, and had the exact same oceanview (one room over) off our balcony that we fell in love with the last time. The management were extremely gracious during our time there and we were very well treated by the "Sol Melia" trained professional and courteous staff. We also were invited to meet with the Especialista Comercial/Sales Assistant of the Sol Cayo Largo/Sol Pelicano a couple of days before departure. She wanted to to discuss our insights and it was a great pleasure to have had the opportunity to share some of our personal impressions about the resort. We hadn't expected one, but she told us that there had been a mix-up regarding an invitation to the 'repeat guest' dinner. So instead, she ensured our ability to have a late 6:00pm check-out on our last day, as our flight home wasn't scheduled until around 9:30pm.

Prior to leaving, we had read some negative opinions regarding the AC and plumbing. Fortunately, though, we had no problems with either in our room. The AirConditioning was extremely excellent and very much needed, due to the "hot, hot, hot" temperatures and humidity. Unfortunately, and this is just a "head's up" for those contemplating a summer visit, there is only one air-conditioned room (fair-size ~ perhaps 20 tables) beside the buffet, the restaurant Las Trinas (a la carte) and one bar/pub games room that has AC. The rest of the resort is open air, and your only relief to the heat are those options, plus your room.

Plus (again, just a "head's up!), those options are also your only relief (at night) from the mosquitos that inhabit this tiny island at this time of year. We (and the rest of our plane-mates) were definitely unprepared by not having any type of repellant in our carry-on when we arrived and exited the airplane in the early evening. The mosquito squads were "on stand-by" and anxiously awaiting our arrival! From the moment we all dis-embarked, walked the tarmac, lined up for customs, gathered luggage and loaded onto busses ~ the only thing that was heard was the constant sound of hundreds hands "clapping and slapping" on exposed and open fresh flesh! LOL… what we would have given for a small amount of "Deep Wood's Off"! There was only one couple, using a repellant immediately, who had no problems whatsoever. So come prepared.

Another inhabitant on Cayo Largo that a visiting guest should be aware of are the many hundreds of various sized land crabs that live in the shade under the buildings and rocks during the day at the resort. At night, they quite enjoy roaming the gardens and pathways, and in the dark as you wander those very same concrete pathways the "click, click, clicking" sound of the crabs scrambling out of your way, is just too exciting to be experienced or put into words!

The ocean was unpredictable during our week there. Each day was different, large overwhelming waves one day ~ smaller fun waves on another ~ and mirror-like calm on the next! One thing that was constant was the temperature ~ it felt like it was somewhere close to 85°F, but could have been closer to 90°F. The weather forecast had called for rain everyday that week, but we only experienced one rainfall on the day that the sea was as calm as a pool. We stayed in the water during most of that morning, including the half-hour of drizzle, along with another guest who was swimming from the far east of the Pelicano resort all the way to where we were on the far west of the Sol (and back again). That morning also brought some various wild-life ~ a number of what looked like large barracuda feeding on a whole school of some smaller-type of fish (jumping out of the water now & then!) that attracted the attention of not only seagulls, royal terns and kingfishers ~ but also a flock of Pelicans who flew from one end of Playa Lindemar to the other, back and forth, diving once in awhile into the crystal clear smooth surface of the ocean, but mostly just skimming the surface, merely a foot or two, right above our heads! An amazingly astounding experience!

Another creature to invade Cayo Largo during the summer months, although we never did see them ~ turtles! We only found out about this, quite by accident during our stay. We had a favourite spot (palapa) at the most western end, just off the property of the Sol beach. We don't like playing the towel game, so we would go early to breakfast and then head immediately out to the beach where we spent our whole day. Near the end of our week, we arrived to our palapa to find it completely tipped over and this one huge (what looked like) tractor-tire tract, trailing from the water's edge (about 40-50'). Plus, a huge hole at what had been the base of our palapa. It was then, that we realized what had happened! A mother turtle came onto the beach to dig and bury her eggs! It looked like she had been unsuccessful, or had been scared away, in laying her eggs ~ as the hole was totally wide open and about 18-24" deep ~ or perhaps she had hit the limestone base of the island. So, we ended up leaving that area, going a bit further to find another spot ~ and another more industrious couple later in the morning, replanted the palapa for themselves using large rocks of limestone to help steady the base. Hopefully, there really wasn't any eggs buried!

In a nutshell ~ Sol Cayo Largo is for people who can be comfortable in whatever situation you find yourself in. The pace here is unhurried and if you are undemanding, you will have a very pleasant time ~ then you will truly "get it" ~ it is so hard to put into adequate words. The unbelievable wild-life sharing this island environment with the people who visit are vast and varied. The remote & ruggedly beautiful beaches on Cayo Largo are the main reason to visit. It is essentially for beach and nature lovers who are more than happy to spend their week in the environment of sun, sand, surf and wild-life.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
15 Thank GalivantingGardener
Dear client,
It is a pleasure to receive your comments about your stay in Sol Cayo Largo. We are pleased to know your positive opinion about our hotel. Our clients and theirs satisfaction are our main objective and that’s why we fight for it every day.
We will be honored if you decided to come back to Sol Cayo Largo or in other hotel of Sol Meliá Cuba.
Regards,
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,530 reviews

Been to Sol Cayo Largo? Share your experiences!