“villa coral”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Largo
Gran Caribe Club Coral
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Largo
elora
“villa coral”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just spent a week at villa coral in Cayo Largo....hotel is old and run down, grounds not kept up food was so so couldn't get a glass of juice all week. It's either water or alcohol with meals. They seldom had coke for cuba libre???
beaches were ok but barely went into the water as a lot of rocks and very rough. some of the staff spoke very little English. Jose and giavonni the two main bartenders at the one and only bar were great. Entertainment was lacking and in every other language other than English. Have been to cuba many times but would not return to this resort. Went to Pelicana down the road one night for supper and it is superb! excellent buffet staff were awesome hotel beautiful if we go back to cayo largo we would definetly stay there. If it weren't for the friends we went with and met would have been a miserable trip don't recommend this hotel at all.

D&D
Elora, Ontario

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flash4now

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was our third time to Cayo Largo and our ninth trip to Cuba in general. Before I begin, just a few words of caution:

First, if you are offended by nudity, DO NOT go to Cayo Largo. Nudity is theoretically forbidden in front of hotels but it is a soft rule. Away from hotels it is the norm.

Second, if you are on the hyperactive side, you will get bored to death.

Third, if you are travelling with kids, go to Holguin, Cayo Coco or Varadero. Kids will enjoy it much more. Parents with kids unanimously said that it wasn’t the greatest place for kids (both because of nudity and complete absence of activities)

This said, here is our take on the Villa Coral:

RESORT: It’s tiny, only about 80 rooms. After 2 days you become part of the family. Staff will know you by name. Everything is close by. You never walk far for anything so you keep your energy to walk on the AMAZING beach. The room was very decent and clean, no unpleasant odour. Rooms are all close to the beach. After reading reviews we had asked for a room away from the pool (for the noise). They nevertheless gave us a poolside room. It was a bit noisy but bearable. All noises stop at 10:30-11:00 and it becomes dead quiet.

POOL: Tiny. Not the best place if you are a pool person. We didn't care.

FOOD: Given the size of this resort, choice is limited. However, quality is above average for Cuba. Although the buffet is small, the menu varies from day to day and there is always something different and interesting to try. We did not go hungry. They will organize an A la carte dinner if at least 15 people ask for it (interesting way to do it but it worked with us).

BEACH: Directly in front of the resort, the beach has suffered from hurricanes. Walk 5 minutes East or West and you will be on a breathtaking beach. You can litterally walk for hours on the beach and all you will find is an endless suite of white sand and turquoise water. Walking toward East you will pass the Playa Blanca Resort (eastearn resort of the the Island) and then will be able to walk for about 20km on a deserted unspoiled beach. Heading in the opposite direction you can walk for about 4-5km until you reach the Sirenas and Paraiso beaches. Out of this world! Every night, right in front of the Villa Coral, the sun sinks on the ocean, offering an unforgettable spectacle.

STAFF: Cubans are generally very pleasant people. Staff of the Villa Coral are one notch above that. We spoke with many patrons who were return customers. The see each visit to the Villa Coral as a family reunion.

TIPS: If you decide to go, bring with you walking shoes that you don’t wear anymore. It is a rare and expensive good in Cuba. They also appreciate thermos or Tupperware and other kitchen supplies that are sleeping in our kitchen cabinet. Benigno, the best waiter in town (he looks like Roberto Benini), would like to have comfortable shoes to work (size man 6.5 -7, they picked a small waiter for a small resort…). His colleague Norbert would love to have a watch.

You have to know what to expect. It is a small resort with limited services but it was well worth the price we paid for it. We are planning to go back next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
22 Thank ElGravellos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been to Cayo Largo many times.

I stayed at Villa Coral a few weeks ago and returned 2 weeks later and stayed at Villa Soledad. Both properties are part of the Canadian section of The Gran Caribe Hotel and both are very charming! Soledad is a 5 minute walk from Villa Coral where the restaurant, bar and pool are located. This is a basic property that does not offer a lot of extras, but it does offer a very friendly and family like atmosphere that the larger hotels in Cayo Largo cannot. You will get to know the chef, your bartender, your waiter and your maid because the property is so small, the same staff will serve you every day, and most of them really go out of their way to make your stay the most it can be!

This property is very relaxed! The guests who stay here are generally very friendly and by the end of the week, everyone knows everyone by name. This property RIGHT on the beach, closer than other properties. The view of the ocean is spectacular and you will always hear the ocean.

While they do not offer room service, I did make a request for a special dinner and the chef personally brought it to my room. He did not ask for any money, but of course I tipped him generously, and it was well worth it!

The property is a little rustic and nothing is perfect, but this is Cuba! I have been to every resort in Cayo Largo and personally prefer this smaller hotel over the others. While the food selection is not a great in the buffet as the larger hotels, you are also not waiting in a queue for your food and are able to eat together as a group! Afternoon pizza at the snack bar was fantastic - very thin crust! Ask for it 'well done' and it was even better!

Christmas dinner was INCREDIBLE! I was blown away with the selection and quality of food, even by OUR standards! Italian cured meats, smoked salmon, assorted cheeses, fresh fish, roasted pig and better turkey and gravey than my mother makes (shhh don't tell her)! Amazing desserts, fresh pears, apples, grapes etc. and I hear that dinner for New Years is even better! Maybe next year! :)

Alehandro and Vladamir are the best bartenders on the island! I love you guys!

Special mention to Julia and Beatrice (the public relations managers) who are exceptional human beings who will go above and beyond on a daily basis to make sure you are happy and taken care of.

Thank you for everything ladies!

It would be very nice if they opened up the Ranchon Restaurant at the 'exclusive' Italian sections of Gran Caribe to the Canadians. They used to offer this to us but have taken it away.

Bring snorkellling equipment with you, if you can. The coral reefs right infront of this property (Villa Coral and Eden) are amazing! No need to spend a lot of money on an excursion. You are better off buying cheap equipment at Costco or Canadian Tire and enjoying it all week. Ask the lifeguards on the beach for more details and assistance and consider leaving your equipment with them after your trip as a gift for their help. They know the best spots to go! I saw many sting rays, barracudas, lobsters, beautiful tropical fish.... really amazing!

Room Tip: The 5000 section is a little more rustic, but also quieter with a bath tub for 2 which was lovely...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
18 Thank MAMMMASITA
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Gran Club Coral, Cayo Largo

Another wonderful. Vacation, there are so many reasons why so patrons return time after time. From December 3 to 17th I again enjoyed the hospitality of Coral, my previous visit was in April 2012 and on my return I was pleased to meet up again with at least twelve guests I had met in April, some of whom were there for five weeks. The beach is fantastic; it’s that fine white powdery sand that goes on for miles and miles. In my opinion it far surpasses Varadero and is great for strolling, tanning and relaxing. Swimming off the beach can be a little difficult however one only needs to take the free mini-train which runs on a regular schedule to Playa Sirenis a few minutes away for a phenomenal world class beach. My vacation started with Canjet leaving Toronto 6:30a.m arriving on schedule at 9:30, customs and immigration is fast so within the hour we were checked in at Gran Club. This is a resort where staff from administration throughout the ranks where everyone does their best to ensure the guests experience is a good one. Rooms are basic, but clean, equipped with bidet, bar fridge, TV. With several channels offering the usual Cuba selections and a big plus, many are ocean view at no extra cost, so in most cases the beach is at most two minute walk, down a few steps and you are there, no shortage of palapas or sun beds, even when the hotel is full as was the case during my visit. The beach is clothing optional and many guests avail themselves of that opportunity. The pool bar is the centre for meeting people over drinks served up by bartenders who quickly get to know and remember your preference. The pool is salt water and offers no shortage again of sun beds or a stool to park yourself at the bar. There is a spirited and entertaining dance and musical show plus karaoke and dance lessons at the bar a couple of afternoons and evenings each week. Wednesday night is “White Night” time to party at the Marina in the nearby village where the resort staffs from all the hotels live. It costs 2 CUC for the bus. Hotel guests from all the Cayo Largo resorts join in the fun.

Dining at this resort isn’t 5 star but it’s still really very good, great buffet breakfast with the usual choices, big selection lunch and dinner with , serving soups, salads, pasta, chicken, pork and delicious desserts. My guess is 99% of the guests are Canadian, 60% of that from Quebec, the balance a few Italians, Argentineans and a few others who by good luck or good management found their way there. This resort has a big following from singles and experienced Cuba visitors, the majority from 30 and up, if you are looking for action and want everything” just so” this may not be the resort for you. however if you are looking to relax, catch up on the art of entertaining yourself and travel friends you will probably love Gran Club, make lots of new friends, both staff and other guests and be planning your next visit before you leave.
Don’t forget to pack a flashlight, the paths are uneven and can be very dark.

Room Tip: 5020, 5022, any rooms in that block are quiet and close to the beach
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank richiehere
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at the Gran Caribe Club Coral with my boyfriend and his family from April 20-27. I can honestly say that I have never had a worse experience than what I experienced at this hotel.

When we got off the bus I went to go to the front desk to check in while my boyfriend got our bags. The girl at the front made us wait for 10 minutes while ignoring me, then she went to take the people behind me! When I advised her that I was waiting first she sighed and gave me attitude while checking me in. What was even worse is my room was not even ready till after 6pm as the person using it had opted for a later check out. We were given a temp room on the "italian side" of the resort. This room had no towels or soaps to wash up with nor did it have any toliet paper. When my boyfriend went to ask someone about this their response was "well your going to another room later so whats the point of giving you these items?"

We finally got our room the same night after 8pm. And I was really angry at what I found, the air conditioner did not work and I had sent three times during the course of our trip for it to be fixed with no resolve. The room was musty and outdated. I was promised a hair dryer (one of the reasons why my boyfriends mother took the time to write the resort ahead of time to ask for rooms for us) and there was no hair dryer. The air conditioner leaked all over the room several times ruining my boyfriends luggage, again when we asked the hotel about this they didn't do anything to fix this.

The food was beyond terrible, by the end of the week I stopped eating altogether. It might have also been the reason why I got sick (which was because of the food)

By mid week we ran out of certain kinds of foods as Cayo Largo is on an island and the food is shipped over on a weekly basis. The buffet was dark and the food covered in flies (if you didn't get to the buffet fast enough the food got warm on the plates). The pork hamburgers are not cooked that well and the beef was over cooked.

The power kept going out to the resort as did the water. When I got really sick all's I wanted was a shower (which was cold there was no warm or hot features only cold and colder) however the water stopped half way thru my very cold shower and I was left covered in soap this happened several times during my stay.

One of the nights we were there, I was walking back to my room wnat the lights to the whole resort went out and I was left in the middle of the dark wandering around to find my room. My room was also called the "Solodad" which by the way means solitary so that means its way on the other side of the hotel so if you want something central don't pick the solodad rooms.

The beach was very rocky and when you first walk out there is rocks in the water and are very slippery and covered in moss. The waves were very rough and could easily knock a person down and take them under the water.

Also a side note for those who wish to attend this resort it is not for families as the beach is filled with nudists not something you want your kids to see. I'm in mhy 30's and I didn't even want to see this.

To change money you had to go to the front desk at certain times of the day otherwise they didn't change your money.

The bar at the reception is not free and belongs to the "italian side" of the resort so beware when you first come in if your not on the "italian side" that bar is not for you.

The bar was basic at best, running out of beer several times the only saving grace was the bar staff were very personable and they took my orders very quickly and were very attentive.

The pool was the tiniest swim out bar that I've ever seen! And when more than 10 people are in the pool it can get very crowded in the pool over all.

The resturant staff were great very friendly got whatever drinks I wanted very fast and were very attentive and personable. The front bell hop was great and he knew everyones name and made sure we were looked after. Often when I was walking back from my room the the main area of the hotel he would stop and let me hitch a ride with him to get to where I was going.

I wouldn't really recommend this resort it was my first experience to Cuba, and I was really put off by it, but in the end you really do get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank GatoCubano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

When may 7th for a week. 6th trip to Cayo Largo, first time at coral villa. Wanted to try this hotel as always great pricing on sell offs. Without a doubt best vacation in Cayo Largo yet. Hotel pretty empty due to it being low season so no problem getting lounge chairs on the beach, no line ups at the bar or at the buffet restaurant. Got upgraded to an ocean view which had to be the closest room to the beach. And the best room in the hotel...at no extra cost! Not interested in the entertainment as too tired most days from beaching it, and not much anyway again due to low season. Food was great. Much better than Pelicano or Playa Blanca. Staff was great, all in good moods as not so rushed. Decided no longer going in January as I have before, May is so much better. Weather was fantastic, water was so warm, just a wonderful stay at Villa Coral!!

• Stayed May 2012
6 Thank CLbeach
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

May 14-21, 2012
Seasoned travelers, 5th time to Cayo, 2nd time to Gran Caribe.
Recently renovated, newly managed by Italian Co. Eden village. Renos were both effective and necessary. Unrenovated Villa Coral rooms - be careful. Requested ground floor room to avoid stairs. given pool side room which would have been wonderful except...

Italian mgmt: 98% Italian guests. This is not an international hotel. Cdn guests sold to fill vacant rooms. Staff service and entertainment was exclusively in Italian. Found one or 2 Cubans who spoke sufficient english to get by, but entertainment staff ignored rest of us.

Entertainment stage was situated to face the main hotel building. Loudspeakers started at noon and went on til midnight. Volume was so loud it could be heard 2 resorts away. With the most of the rooms less than 300m from the stage - well you get a picture. What a stupid setup. Good luck if you got sick (which we both did) and needed bed rest. (I can still hear the Italian disco beat...)

Hotel stopped fogging for insects so bugs were almost unbearable: hey, I'm Cdn, trust me the bugs here were out of control.

Food was adequate but until the middle of the week the flys in the indoor buffet area were unacceptable.

Beach was Cayo (wonderful).

Did we get what we went for - R&R - Yes, off the property on the beach. Did we get value for $$; I guess (low season selloff). Would I go back - certainly not at high season prices...

Room Tip: Insist on room as far away from the entertainment stage as possible. Know that some rooms are renov...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
#3 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,244 reviews
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Caribe Club Coral? Share your experiences!