“Best Meal Ever, on Best Day of Our Lives”
Review of Villa La Lodola

Villa La Lodola
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We were fortunate enough to find this amazing B&B when planning our wedding! So many good things to say...first, the food that Carlo cooks was by far the best food we've ever eaten! When we arrived to check into the hotel, Carlo was making fresh pasta and the kitchen smelled amazing!

Carlo and his wife catered our rehearsal and wedding dinner and we could not have dreamed of two better meals. Honestly, we think these were probably the best two meals of our lives. Carlo cooks using produce from La Lodola's own gardens--ripe tomatoes, beautiful squash, sweet basil...the list goes on and on. Because he gets inspiration from what is ripe in the garden the menu changes daily. We loved the fact that we didn't know what was for dinner until we saw what was written up on the chalkboard. The one night we went to town for dinner, we regretted it immediately and ended up coming back to La Lodola for dessert because Carlo is THAT good.

We also had half of our wedding guests stay here, and everyone raved about it! Very charming, peaceful rooms with beautiful views of the countryside, plus a nice pool area to lounge around. The breakfast area is a little stone nave that is shaded by a trellace made of grapevines. Every day that we stayed here, we woke up to a beautifully arranged breakfast the highlights of which included a breakfast cake and fresh fruits (many grown by Carlo).

We loved our time at La Lodola and would return in a heartbeat! Thank you to Carlo, Manuela and Mario...you made this a trip of our lives!

We can't wait to visit La Lodola again when we're next in Tuscany!!!
Cristin & Derek

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Villa La Lodola

Reviewed February 8, 2012

This really was. We went in November time and it was the last evening of the season. They looked after us like family and the food was wonderful. If i could give it 6 stars i would. Real italian food, and a real warmth of hospitality. Thank you!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My husband and I went to Italy on our honeymoon and knew we wanted to spend some time in Tuscany. One of our close friends stayed at La Lodola on their honeymoon so they suggested we check it out. I am SO glad we did! My friends and husband will say I'm very "picky" and fairly discerning so please trust me when I say that La Lodola is a MUST while in Tuscany.

The location is perfect - close to so many small towns for day trips. The property is spectacular, I wish I lived there full time! Everything in the farmhouse is perfectly appointed, from the stylish table cloths, to the sweet shutter windows in our bedroom, everything is just wonderful. The daily breakfast is TO DIE for - everything is home made and from Mario's garden which is just outside the front door. If you're lucky, he will give you a tour of his garden :) Mario welcomes you with a warm smile and engaging personality upon arrival, and it just gets better and better each day. I'm a bit of a sappy person, but I teared up when we left - it was just that fabulous.

If you go - you WILL NOT regret it! Promise. Enjoy every second of it - I know you will.

Room Tip: The Green room is where we stayed and we loved it! I believe it has the largest bathroom - two sinks...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2011

My wife and I spent 9 days at this lovely place, traveling to neighboring villages and returning each evening. . Absolutely beautiful B&B--a home away from home. Our host, Mario, was such a warm person--he couldn't do enough to make us comfortable. We became part of his family--and being there for 9 days we were able to meet all of them. Lovely people. The food is probably the best we've had on any vacation--absolutely fresh and tasty. Great coffee, homemade cakes, etc. Fresh fruit from the garden. Our room was spacious and lovely with a fantastic view of the countryside. We look forward to returning!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We just returned from a fantastic stay at the Villa. Mario takes such great care of his guests and makes sure your experience is perfect. Breakfast is delicious and includes yummy tomatoes from his garden when in season as well as his yummy cakes. If it is cold, Mario will build a fire to enjoy. We were so sad to leave and even considered canceling the rest of our planned trip to just stay at this beautiful villa. It is peaceful, homey, beautiful and the absolute best! Thank you Mario!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2011

By Far La Lodola was our favorite B&B on our trip. Mario was an exceptional host who helped with any questions or directions we had. One day Mario assisted us with a tour of Cortona by contacting Luigi, who drove us through the countryside and around Cortona in a rare 3 wheeled vehicle, one of the highlights of our trip. This is a great base for exploring Siena, San Gimignano, Cortona, Mantepulciano, Montalcino and all points in between.

The room we had was extremely comfortable and spacious.

Carlo and Manuella (SP) (forgive me if the spelling of Carlos wife is wrong) Again I cannot say enough about the Restaurant, the food was fabulous, the service was outstanding. My favorite quote from Manuella when trying to order some wine with dinner " You have to drink the red wine your in Tuscany!" And she was spot on, she always suggested the best wines to go with our meal. Mario also gave us a tour of his garden where many of the ingredients in our meals came from.

I cannot express in words the the wonderful views from our room and the grounds around the B&B. When you are there hopefully the Fig tree will have ripe fruit and you can enjoy some with Mario when you arrive.

Un milione di grazie Mario, Marco and Manuella, for a unforgettable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool and backyard I think would be best.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2011

My Partner and I stayed one night with our Daughter who is 16 months old. The house has such character and fabulous views in a lovely setting. We were greeted by Carlos and later by Mario and we had coffee and homemade cake which was very tasty. Both Carlos and Mario were extremely friendly and helpful and recommeded a good restaurant as there's was closed as we stayed on a Tuesday which was a shame as I bet the food would have been very good indeed. They had a very soppy dog and a cat with kitten which added to the character of the place which our Daughter loved. When we woke in the morning breakfast was set out beautifully and tasted equally as good. I would recommed La Lodola to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the suit which had great views
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foiano Della Chiana
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Villa Borgo San Pietro
Villa Borgo San Pietro
#15 of 24 in Cortona
Casanova Wellness Center - Hotel Residence SPA & Beauty Farm
Casanova Wellness Center - Hotel...
#3 of 4 in San Quirico d'Orcia
#1 of 4 in Foiano Della Chiana
Albergo la Foresteria
Albergo la Foresteria
#1 of 5 in Sinalunga

Been to Villa La Lodola? Share your experiences!