“Dream venue...”

Il Castello di Gargonza
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed here for two nights as part of a wedding celebration and it really is a dream venue. Set on a hilltop overlooking the Tuscan countryside, the castle, the chapel and the lemon garden are an idyllic mix. Peaceful, romantic and secluded - somewhere to get away from everything. And that's without mentioning the food, which was spectacular! Traditional Tuscan fayre - antipasti, risotto, pasta, meats and of course some limoncello! Would really recommend this as a wedding venue or somewhere for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank deehurl

Reviewed September 2, 2011

We were 2 couples living here mid july. Originally for 1 night, however, after a perfect day of beautiful surroundings, we decided to stay 1 more night. The area is typical Tuscany, and the castle itself is perfect. Very nice staff and rooms. Pool with view over Tuscan valleys. Definately recommended!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank erlingba
Reviewed August 15, 2011

So, where do I start? Gargonza is the most amazing location to have a wedding. The food, the location, the staff, the atmosphere..everything was perfect. Our guests still rave about it and pretty much all of them say it's the best wedding they have ever been to.

Nothing is too much trouble for Neri and all the wonderful people who work there.

Our wedding was organised through Daniela Haltmayer at Dream Weddings Tuscany -she did a fantastic job.

I would strongly recommend a trip to Gargonza for a relaxing holiday destination and I would definitely say to anyone thinking of getting married there- do it!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank maryammoshi
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My husband and I spent two nights here. We loved the beautifully restored town and the somewhat remote hilltop location. Our suite had a working fireplace, and was comfortable, although the furnishings looked a bit tired. There's a beautiful walled garden for guests [see pictures], and free wi-fi in the guests' lounge and in parts of the garden. Many of the buildings and rooms are named after families or individuals who lived in Gargonza while it was still a working town.

Gargonza is such a peaceful location: for the most part, the only sounds were made by birds, wind blowing through the surrounding woods, and the bell of the chapel. It would be an amazing place to have a wedding.

Our room did not include an in-room TV [there was a TV in the guest lounge], robes, or turndown service. We didn't miss these things, since the surroundings and overall atmosphere were so special. We loved the sense of timelessness.

The restaurant was very good, and seemed to draw quite a few locals. It was chilly at night during our stay and there was always a fire in the dining room's huge fireplace [one night, they actually roasted meat there].

The hotel and restaurant staff were uniformly pleasant and helpful.

Because of the remote and peaceful location, this definitely isn't a good choice for people who want nightlife.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DCtravler244
Reviewed June 26, 2011

My husband and I had our wedding at Gargonza castle last month and couldn't have asked for a more stunning location, better hosts or more incredible food. We had a wedding package that allowed us to fill the castle with our friends and family for three days. The castle is set on top of a hill with amazing views out over Tuscany. There are various gardens, including the beautiful lemon garden where we hosted a welcome dinner and had the wedding ceremony, a large pool with a small outdoor restaurant, a cozy bar area with a fireplace and a huge glass-walled restaurant where we ate lunch several days in a row and where we held the wedding dinner/dancing.

Each room is different and some are part of larger apartments so several of our friends could stay in the same place, which they loved. All of the rooms are huge and have a kitchen and nice, modern bathrooms. Breakfast is served in a lively room with red walls in the main building and the selection is great - cereals, fresh fruits, various coffees, meats, cheeses, breads, jams, honey, etc. Neri, Simone, Simona, Serena and everyone else at the castle made us feel welcome and went out of their way to help us.

The restaurant - Ristorante La Torre di Gargonza - is unbelievably good and I highly recommend stopping there for lunch or dinner even if you aren't staying at the castle. Everything was good but I particularly loved the roast potatoes and Chianina beef, linguine with truffles and a gnocchi in a red wine and cream sauce with grated orange peel. The wine selection is varied and features several local wines, including wines made by the family that owns the castle. The quality of the food was phenomenal and did not vary regardless of whether they were cooking for 4 people at lunch or 70 people the night of our wedding. All of our guests absolutely loved the food.

Gargonza castle is such an enchanting place - a must see if you are in the area. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank T_in_Japan
Reviewed November 8, 2010

This was the best place that we stayed at during our trip to Italy. It's truly amazing! The staff was fantastic, the food was the best that we had during our stay in Italy, the room was huge, and the atmosphere is wonderful! We had a fire place in our room which made it super cozy, and the room was very clean! The bathroom was big, and we even had a heater in there to keep it warm! The staff was great! They told us were we could go hiking, and horseback riding, and even called the stables for us! Our anniversary was while we were here, so my husband called them and asked if they could get flowers delivered to our room while we were horseback riding, and they did! The bouquet was beautiful! When you stay here, you have to try the restaurant! The food was so fresh, and seasonal, and they had a garden out back that had pumpkins, tomatoes and eggplants growing in it! Some of the best food I have ever eaten was here! We visited Siena and Florence while we were here, and they aren't too far away. Siena was only a half an hour, and Florence only 45 minutes.
We definitely want to go back to this place! It was so cozy, and so peaceful, and so beautiful!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LeLypiphera
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Castello Gargonza is being loving restored and run by members of the family that has owned it since maybe the 1400's. They want guests to get the feeling Dante did when he stayed there. Well, the feeling he would have had if modern plumbing and wifi had been available in 1303.

I will admit that it took me a day or two to adjust to the atmosphere inside thick stone walls with small shuttered windows. At first I was upset that my room in the granary was not light enough or warm enough, but once I crawled under the comforter I slept like the well-fed guest I was. The next morning I explored cobbled paths and ancient buildings imagining what roll I would have played in castello life. Later we knit in a garden reminiscent of Under the Tuscan Sun. I also learned that I could have upgraded to a room with a fireplace, but by then I had fallen in love with Castello di Gargonza, just as it is.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank BarbaraC68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monte San Savino
Hotel Logge Dei Mercanti
Hotel Logge Dei Mercanti
#2 of 5 in Monte San Savino
15 mi away
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
#3 of 37 in Gaiole in Chianti
Castello delle Serre
Castello delle Serre
#1 of 8 in Serre di Rapolano

Been to Il Castello di Gargonza? Share your experiences!