“Very nice hotel staff attitude lets it down” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ham Luong Tourist Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ham Luong Tourist Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Ben Tre
Bellingen, Australia
“Very nice hotel staff attitude lets it down”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayefor three nights. It is a very well appointed hotel with comfortable rooms, lovely bathroom , small balcony overlooking the river. Good selection for breakfast leaning towards asian tastes. Small but nice pool, the sun lounges need some TLC. Most staff friendly however one of the reception staff was rude raising her voice over the phone when there was difficulty understanding her thick accent. I have to say this took me by surprise as I have found service in vietnam to be very good with no previous poor behaviour from staff. Still an excellent hotel to stay in a great town.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Room was clean, front desk staff friendly, best breakfast (all Asian but delicious).... bed comfortable... -but poor service in the cafe (seemed to be socializing too much to serve us!), good pool. Would stay here again (great views of the river!).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank SarahGairns
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Ham Luong Hotel Review - 02-06-14
Dates of Stay 01-31-14 to 02-06-14

Hotel (200C Hung Vuong, T.P. Ben Tre, http://hamluongtourist.com.vn )
GPS coordinates: N10º 14 044, E106º 22 138

The hotel is located about a half mile west of Quoc lo 60 street on Hung Vuong street. Cho Ben Tre is at the corner of Hung Vuong and Quoc lo 60. The hotel faces the Ben Tre River (Song Ben Tre).

Checking In

As I had booked the room directly, with price agreed to earlier, there were no formalities when we arrived. Our bags were taken directly to the room. All that was required was our passports, which in Vietnam is pretty much guaranteed payment. The Agoda.com price was the same as the hotels direct rate almost to the dollar. But as we booked direct, the hotel later gave us one night free for a six-day stay.

Room

We stayed in room 301, which I should have known was one previously reviewed and criticized for the noise coming from the bar area directly above. Second floor rooms are probably far better insulated from the noise I’m sure. I first heard the chair shuffling from above when I was soaking in the tub around 5:30 PM. Would it continue for long and how long?

The room labeled a suite, is quite large. It was one of the largest that I’ve stayed in SEA for the price paid. Then again, this isn’t Sai Gon, Ha Noi, or some beach fancy beach resort. It’s the Delta.

Flooring in the room was all tile, very clean and cool. I don’t mind walking barefoot on tile floors but not carpeting, even though the the hotel supplied sandals.

Lighting in the room was typically dim. I’m all for any energy-saving devices and fixtures but some areas of a room or bathroom require brighter lighting. So the lighting in this particular room was not bright enough for me.

This particular room had an upright refrigerator with internal freezer compartment and was of sufficient space to store perhaps 35-50 12 oz. cans of beverages or a combination of food and drink. It wasn’t running when we opened the room (to save power), so I had to turn it up to its maximum setting to make it chill down quick for beverage and food storage. Because I suspected it had not been running for awhile it had a slight odor (musty). I wasn’t worried as I was only storing cans for now. After about five hours, my beverages were near freezing, perfect if the weather turns really hot. So far, the weather has been quite mild.

(Oh dear! Acoustic guitar and singing just started above our room at 7:50 PM!)

I would certainly avoid rooms on the third floor (especially room 301) if you cannot handle loud music and chairs being dragged across the tile floor above you. The sound literally echoes through the room and lasts well past 10 PM, when staff are still moving chairs probably back to their original placement.

How would one describe the outfitting of the room, late government provincial? The suite has a fair amount of furniture, which looks like most other furniture in Vietnam. It’s that dark-stained wood with 27 coats of varnish. With all the protection, I’m sure it is resilient as floor tiles and concrete. SEA is not kind on buildings. The warm or hot, humid weather is a perfect catalyst for mold, mildew, and rot. So the beautiful set of wooden chairs in the room are hard as a rock and not inviting for a long sit-down. Everything is cement, tile, more tile, heavily varnished wood. The TV is still the old fashion, one hundred pound monstrosity. Quite frankly, I haven’t seen one in SEA for years. I thought everything was flat screens by now.

Our room had a king size bed with a high density foam mattress. It was quite firm but wasn’t like sleeping on a concrete slab. At least there were no springs pushing against one’s body at night.

The room also has an electric water cooker for making coffee or tea. Free tea was available but we took the Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk down at the restaurant with breakfast.

The room also has a blow dryer for one’s hair. (I don’t have enough to dry.)

Speaking of TV, there will be dozens of Vietnamese and Chinese stations. I did manage to find five English channels, including Cinemax, HBO, Animal Planet, National Geographic, and Discovery Channel, which is not bad for a hotel in a rural town.

The WiFi is good throughout the building from what I can see. The network is not protected (it’s open) so protect your computer as best you can (turn on computer firewall and don’t allow file sharing for starters). Bandwidth was adequate enough to support several quality Facetime sessions (video-conferencing). Facebook not locked out at this hotel, so enjoy.

A dysfunctional rooster next door started crowing around 3 - 3:30 AM daily.

Breakfast

Breakfast turned out to be much better than I had anticipated. Most mornings, we arrived between 7 - 7:30 AM. The number of foods offered were quite varied. Bowls of Udon soup with various meats, vegetables had been prepared in advance. This was the first day and morning’s menu changed daily (see below). They were all excellent! All one had to do was ladle some broth into the bowl and eat. Here’s a list of items we encountered for the breakfast buffet during our six-day stay:

Udon noodle soup (Banh Canh)
Pho - Bun Bo Hue
Bun Moc (noodle soup) with pork or pork ball
Chau ca - (Congee with Thac Lac fish)
Congee with duck egg
Chau (Congee - plain)
Congee with oyster mushrooms (my favorite)
Congee with yellow squash
Bo Kho (beef stew)
Sui Mai (pork) braised in a tomato type base
(Different soups, congees and other foods not served everyday)
Sliced bread
Baguette bread pieces
Fried eggs
Mini egg omelets
Fried, small chicken pieces
Stir fried rice
Stir fried rice with seafood
Stir fried rice with crab
Stir fried noodles
Stir fried greens (sort of a spinach)
Stir fried cabbage
Stir fried mustard greens
Stir fried bokchoy
Shrimp dumplings
Glutinous rice cakes
Hot dog (sausages shape like nuggets)
Pork roll slices
Sliced tomatoes
Sliced cucumbers
Condiments of various sorts
Jams
Jellies
Butter
Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk
Hot water
Tea
Passion fruit juice (diluted)
Fresh watermelon slices
Fresh dragon fruit slices
Fresh pineapple slices

Again, foods above appeared on different days. One kind of soup daily along with one congee (plain) and one other congee with another ingredient like seafood, mushroom, squash or something else. If you must get your salt, try placing a couple pieces of salted egg in your soup or congee. It’s delicious! (Take the sliver of shell off the egg before dumping it in you soup.)

Bath

The first impression that I got with the bath was that it was spacious, white, all tiled floor to ceiling, and most important, clean. The tub was large and had a built-in jacuzzi. After a long twenty-four hours of transpacific travel, including a two hour layover in Hong Kong, I decided on a hot soaking. I turned on the hot water to fill the tub but after accumulating about three inches of water, the delivery system had turned cold. Alas, my share of the hot water had been exhausted from the over the sink electric hot water heater. Make sure the switch on the wall is turned on. When the hot water is used up, the heater starts heating up another batch. It’s certainly enough to take a nice hot shower of five to seven or eight minutes.

Sufficiently relaxed and wet, I decided it was time to towel down and have a cool beverage. I turned the handle to open the drain but the mechanical bath stopper would not rise to drain the water. Heck with it for now. Later called the front desk, who sent up a person directly to fix it within five minutes.

There was no separate shower stall. The tub itself has one of those long stainless steel hoses with shower handle on the end. It’s mounted at around five feet, so one stands under it or pulls the device off the wall and uses it manually or stationary if you’re short. The only problem is that a large amount of water falls outside the tub and lands on the tile floor, which in the scope of things isn’t all that bad either. Vietnamese bathroom floors are laid on a slope to route the water to a drain in the corner of the room. Floor tiles dry quickly in the warm weather.

The bath towels were in very good condition if not nearly new, soft and fresh smelling.

Pool

There is a small pool on the side and toward the back of the hotel. It’s pretty well shaded by the hotel and adjoining buildings. The water water felt cool but I am sure it would be inviting. The tiles near the pool’s coping looked like they needed a good scrubbing as algae was staring to appear.

Cafe/Bar

There is a cafe/bar on the fourth floor that faces the river. It’s fairly large taking up the entire width of the hotel. Good breezes under a covered patio-like structure. Offers beverages of all sorts and ice creams. Sai Gon Red was 18,000d, 333 was 21,000d, mixed drinks 50,000d and up., etc.

On our last day, we noticed they gave us one night free for staying six, an added surprise.

Pros

Price - Good value for what you get
Clean - Can’t fault the room and bath cleanliness, at least for room 301
Spacious - More than adequate room size for price
Location - Facing the river and about a half mile west of the central market, Cho Ben Tre. Easy 10-minute walk along the river
Breakfast - More than adequate inclusive breakfast. Sorry westerners, no Whoppers or Big Macs here.
Strong A/C in the room
A fruit plate every night

Cons

Noisy cafe/bar above third floor rooms. The cacophony doesn’t subside until after 10 PM.

If you only speak English, having a conversation will be frustrating at times.

Low wattage lighting in the room, especially nightstands by bed, too weak to read at night.

Cafe/Bar staff could be more attentive. As a westerner and hotel resident, I wasn’t served promptly, as those coming off the street, which was quite irritating.

==============================================================

Between My Tho and Ben Tre, this is was the fourth hotel sampled and arguably the best stay in this area during the last 10 years.

Room Tip: Choose a room on second floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sanjose
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

It is a good place to stay. The hotel is clean anyway.
Our group stayed one night to celebrate our team building and small halloween party. The place is ok, good location eventhough it is pretty quiet at night. We finished around 10:00 PM and no places to go around except few places selling noodles and juicy at night.
Food taste a little bit sweet, but ok for me also. Buffet ok, not many dishes, but good for a 3 star hotel. Dessert is not various as just watermelon only. It should have been more other tropical fruits.
I couldn't find any pc to use internet at ground floor, didnt check about wifi with them.
Room service is friendly. The tourguide said ppl rumour the 6th floor doesnt work and empty, it was scary, but not sure it is true. We had left in the following day before getting to know more.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank popo_kuki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We're travelling with two kids and therefore booked a "superior" room with 2 double beds. Got upgraded to suite for free, fantastic, clean spacious room with huge beds, A/C, tea making stuff, seating area, etc for only 35 US$!
Staff very friendly, got to use pool even half day after we'd checked out and they brought us to bus station for free.
On boulevard approx 400m from town centre, so location good in principle, but Ben Tre itself hasn't got enormous amount to offer outside of island tour.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank GavinandSandra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is the second time that I have stayed in this hotel and the service is still great. The staff are very friendly and helpful. At Level 4, there is a really cafe when you can order coffee or beer and have a great a great view of the river. All rooms have free wifi too!!

Room Tip: Choose rooms that face the main street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Pinjarra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Were in our early 60’s. Our prerequisites and not necessary in this order are; Location; (√) clean; (√) quiet; (√) Wi-Fi; (√) being able to communicate with staff. (√). Location is good, being on the river and we had asked for and got a room with a river view and it sure is a busy little tributary. There are few very local eating places in the street, which requires local taste to enjoy. We got lucky at #160, because the owners sister (A San Francisco resident) was visiting and could translate. We had a very nice Pho there. It was clean; all the plumbing worked. Had Wi-Fi in the room with no problems. A buffet breakfast was supplied and again it was for local tastes. (I can survive on fruit, toast and marmalade for a day or 2) Being able to communicate with staff. There was another Australian middle aged couple there who complained that they could not get any help or information from the front desk, but we found the opposite. Sure a few of the younger, more inexperienced girls were not that forth coming, probably because my Vietnamese language skills are lacking and I suspect vice versa, as Ben Tre is not a tourist Mecca for Westerners, but the boss lady was extremely helpful, so long as you spoke slowly and not Australian by running all of our words together. Our problem was, we wanted to get to Vinh Long next. She explained a couple of alternatives and we chose to go by public bus #8, which passes the hotel. On the morning we left, she sent the bell hop out with us to the kerb, who waited with us some 20 minutes for the bus and then told the driver and conductor where we had to go. While we were waiting for the bus, she sent out the security guard with a phone number of a taxi company, just in case there was no transport when we got off the ferry, which came in very handy indeed. (It’s called going that extra yard, to provide a service) Our room was on the 3rd floor and as others reported in T A you will be affected by noise from them relocating furniture in the coffee shop above you. Yes there was some occasional noise, but none of it affected our sleep, unless you wanted a nanna nap at 4pm

Room Tip: A room with a river view
#1 of 10 in My Tho
Mango Home Riverside
Mango Home Riverside
#1 of 14 in Ben Tre

Been to Ham Luong Tourist Hotel? Share your experiences!