“Awesome Day”

and up
Full-Day Astrolabe Kayaking Eco-Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Sea Kayak Company is a family owned business that operates guided and freedom rental kayak trips in the Abel Tasman National Park.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Brisbane, Australia
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Awesome Day”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My son (young adult) and I did the Ab Fab Paddle with the Sea Kayak Company back in December and thought it was an amazing day. We were picked up from our accommodation in Nelson (extra cost) by bus and driven to the Sea Kayak Company base where we were organised into our tour groups, given our safety gear and introduced to our guide for the paddle.
After slapping on the suntan cream we were driven to the launching ramp to board the water taxi.
Once all the passengers and kayaks were loaded onto the water taxi we left on our trip to Onetahuti Beach where we began our kayak trip back to Bark Bay via Tonga island. The weather had started out a bit overcast but got better as the day progressed. The picnic lunch at Bark Bay was thoroughly enjoyable and provided us with enough of a rest before setting off on the walk back to Anchorage. We were lucky that the tide was out in the afternoon and we were able to take the short cut across the beach at the final bay, but I did wish that I had brought a pair of thongs or sea shoes so that my walking shoes (bare feet not recommended) did not get wet walking across this section. The water taxi picked us up from Anchorage and ferried us back to Marahua where we caught the bus back to Nelson. The staff at the Sea Kayak Company were good and I was impressed by the effeciency of the Abel Tasman AquaTaxi people in getting their boats both in and out of the water. A long but memorable day!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Travel4me070

Auckland
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“A fantastic five day adventure”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Our family of four had a fantastic trip with the Sea Kayak Company that even the kids are still raving about. Our wonderfully enthusiastic guide (Kyle) made sure our family plus two others were entertained and educated during the whole trip. Everything was superbly well organised, the food just kept coming and there were surprises and laughs throughout each day. Two cooked meals and a huge picnic spread each day ensured that even our teenage son never went hungry. This isn't the cheapest way to see the Abel Tasman National Park, but it certainly is the best. My wife and I had done some walking in the park previously, but this trip takes you to great places inaccessible by foot and even by boat. Having a the guide makes sure you get to see the best of the park in the easiest manner (tides, short-cuts etc) while being educated and fed (wonderfully) along the way.
We would all do this again in a heartbeat.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank RothesayFamily0630
Quebec City, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wow, what an experience.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Wow, what an experience. The kayaking was awesome, the guide was fab, the other holidayers were great fun and entertaining and if I had a complaint it is only that the sun was too hot !!! What a scorcher - we had been warned and took full precautions and protection but even so, the kiwi sun's brutal esp out on the water. I've no idea what has got up the noses of the other reviewers who complain about poor customer service, every thing was proffessional, well organised and done in a way that didn't treat us like lemmings or kids. We got to do pretty much what we wanted at whatever speed we wanted that gave us the ability to truely relax and experience the fantastic beauty that is the Able Tasmin park. 2 thumbs up.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Mary H
Leipzig, Germany
6 attraction reviews
“nice tour with a few drawbacks”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Went on the Ab Fab Marine Reserve Tour last week. We were picked up directly at our accommodation in the morning, which was great service. However, we then had to wait around several times before and after boarding the water taxi, and we were never really told why or for how long. Once we were on the boats, everything was fine - except if you had very limited kayaking experience (which was the case with me) because they did not really give much of an introduction. Also, nobody mentioned to me I should bring along spare clothes for the afternoon walk - mine were soaking wet after paddling so I had to walk around in a dripping shirt and pants for the rest of the day... The self-guided walk after lunch, however, was truly spectacular, and our guide Kim was very nice!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Non existent customer service”
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We booked a 3 day enchanted coast trip in December for departure at the beginning of February. The trip was confirmed.

We made flight and accomodation bookings to suit that.

Less than 7 days before the departure date we were told that the trip was cancelled as others in that trip had changed dates.

I find it interesting that their terms and conditions penaltise the customer if a booking needs to be changed but there is no protection if the company change a confirmed booking.

I found it extremely disappointing and only after many emails and with them trying to encourage us to join a 2 day trip did they suggest another company.

Shocking customer service, a confirmed booking should stay confirmed and the people changing their date should be the ones inconvenienced.

Be careful!

We did not travel with this group.

2 Thank Youngone51