“Fantastic views.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Omapere
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic views.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This resort is located at a stunning location at the mouth of Hokienga Harbour and there are enormous sand dunes on the opposite side of the bay. Lovely resort, even though our room was not facing the sea we still had a view of parkland and a bit of the bay. Good size room and big bathroom. You can dine more formally in dining room, or casually on the patio - both with excellent views. Food was great and breakfast was included in the rate.....full buffet/hot selection. Staff were lovely. The only negative is the beach as it has lots of pebbles just as you walk into the water.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kyle B, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Kia ora
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Copthorne Hotel and Resort Hokianga. Unfortunately, we certainly do have a large amount of peebles on our beach at the moment. The landscape is forever changing and it is quite possible that in a month or so the pebbles will have moved to another part of the Bay.

Kyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was the first hotel on our itinerary and we were bowled over by the location. The rooms were lovely as was dinner and breakfast. The hotel staff are friendly. After dinner we did the Footprints tour into the forest which is certainly worth doing. We learnt about the importance of the forest and Tane Mahuta, the God of the forest. In the morning we went on the Hokiangai Express to the other side of the bay and went sand surfing, great fun for all silver surfers!

Room Tip: Ask to be in the new block.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kyle B, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Kia ora Sue
I am so pleased you spent time with us here in the Hokianga and experienced our night tour into the forest. It is an amazing cultural experience, which we encourage both New Zealanders and visitors to do.
I hope Sue that the remainder of your stay in NZ was great too.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Due to traveling around the area, we did not stay at The Copthorne, but we did get the chance to eat dinner there one night. The Copthorne has a wonderful restaurant, with an amazing view of the harbour. We experienced great food, great service and they even had a local wine selection. Very lovely meal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kia ora Rachel,
Thanks so much for your review. I am so pleased that you did come in for dinner and were able to experience, our hotel and our amazing location. We pride ourselves on our staff. Service is of paramount importance Rachel and it is so important to us that our guests have a wonderful and memorable experience.
We have some exceptional wines in Northland Rachel and we do like to show case them through our wine list.
Again thank you.

Cheers
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We booked this Hotel online so we were not too sure what we would find. After an interesting drive from Auckland following Highway 12 then on to 16 where we stopped for lunch at the Swinging Cow Cafe which was great. Then on to the Kauri Museum at Matakohe where we could have spent more time following the coast to Omapere and the Hotel. The staff were very friendly the room was great although I think they could have put a larger TV in the room or closer to the bed so you could see it. We had dinner at the restaurant it was delicious and the passion fruit sundae was to die for. The grounds were well maintained and clean and the views spectacular. We were lucky enough to book the Hot Deal which included a $50 voucher to spend at the restaurant. What value for money we received. A great location, friendly staff, excellent rooms certainly would recommend. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you made use of the Hot Deal opportunity.
The Kauri museum at Matakohe is a Must Do. So pleaed you included it into you itinerary.

Regards Kyle
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hi, we visited the Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga yesterday evening on our way back to Auckland and after hearing the heritage of this very spiritual location from Shane and Pip Llloydd (Resort Managers) and then looking out over the harbour opening it dawned on me that the lefthand headland and righthand headland (which is formed by massive sand dunes) appeared to me as encircling arms and that the land upon which we were standing at that moment was the Heart of the body (land). I knew about Opo the darling dolphine from when I was younger and had first visited the Hokianga harbour 28 years ago but on this visit I had a very different experience - I have always wanted to come back and stay here. Shane and Pip are amazing communicators and if you want to learn where New Zealands heritage began they are wonderful people to listen to. Shane has a timber to his voice which is soothing and powerful at the same time and Pip's is soft and sweet, you will learn so much in a short period of time if you open your heart to his family heritage, it is very special and beautiful and is an intergril part of what the Copthorne Hokianga is about. It was a delight to meet their 16 yr old son too as the back bone of the resort is founded on strong family principals which flow on through every aspect because of it being a family business. Peter and I are honoured to have had Shane and Pip's company yesterday evening and to have had this knowledge shared with us and plan to visit for at least 3 nights within the next month. We have been searching for a venue to host a special family gathering this August and we both agree that we found it last night when we sat on the deck and shared freshly smoked Marlin,Pip and Shanes company and a divine sunset followed by a delicious dinner. We cant wait to do the Footprint night walk into the Kauri Forest (Kauri trees are my favourite native tree) and then go for an adrenaline buzz across the harbour for a Sand Dune adventure over to Mitimiti Beach. (Which is a place I visited with my eldest brother 29 years ago in his very OLD and very errr, how can I put this tactfully ... hmmmm "ruggard" ex army jeep - I hope the ride isnt so bone rattling this time around ... I'm a tad older and lot less fit!!!!). The possibility of a progressive dinner up the Hokianga Harbour has me chuckling already, you have to meet my family to understand why I am already happy ... it is going to be an experience we WONT ever forget - I cant wait!!!!! And to be honest, coming together as a family is really precious for me and Peter, to be able to share this gorgeous location and heritage with them while celebrating my milestone of half a century of life :) - what a perfect way to do it! We can promise you that if you choose to stay here you wont be dissappointed! Kind regards, Denise & Peter

Room Tip: We havent stayed overnight yet, we will update this section soon.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kyle B, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Kia ora Denise
It was wonderful to have you both in the Hokianga. We are blessed with such a beautiful and special location. I think your description of the entrance to the harbour, likening it to encircling arms is very fitting.
We look forward to your return to the Hokianga and to sharing our little piece of paradise with you.
Bowdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

11/02/2013
From Neil & Judith Gallagher, Manchester, England
We arrived at the Copthorne Hokianga on 09/01/2013, my birthday as it happened, we were booked in for ten nights. The drive up from Auckland had been long and fascinating but tiring. However we didn't stay tired for long. The hotel is located in the most fabulous position, slap-bang on the shore of Hokianga Harbour, and that means slap-bang, the hotel grounds run straight down to the sea. We were given a "Right-Royal" welcome by the General Manager Kyle Brown, and by his staff. Kyle personally showed us to our room and wouldn't let us carry a bag. This level of good old fashioned, personal service from Kyle and his brilliant staff continued throughout our entire ten night stay. Our room was very comfortable, with a large balcony, and an amazing view straight across the harbour to the massive sand dunes beyond. With such a wonderful welcome, our tiredness from the drive soon dissolved and that evening we enjoyed wonderful drinks on the hotel terrace, watching the sun go down across the harbour, followed by an excellent meal in the hotel restaurant. That night we slept like logs. Next morning at breakfast we were greeted like old friends, after which we set about exploring Hokianga. We found the whole area to be fascinating, crisscrossed as it is by endless dirt-track roads, rivers and creeks, all surrounded by beautiful, and often wild countryside. The beach, which fronts the hotel is endless and largely empty, paradise indeed. Every evening found us with our drinks on the hotel terrace. I am a bit of a beer freak, and with sixty years of beer drinking worldwide under my belt, I am entitled to say that New Zealand has some of the best beer in the world, and that a very good selection of this beer was in Kyle's bar. So I did my bit in supporting New Zealand,s breweries, whilst Judith did her bit supporting New Zealand's vineyards (Fat Pig). Not Judith, Fat Pig was the name of the wine. Following our drinks each evening we dined in the Hotel restaurant, and every evening our favourite table was reserved for us, and every evening we enjoyed a wonderful meal with wonderful service. Everything about the Copthorne Hokianga was for us enjoyable and comfortable, but the most impressive thing was the sheer consistency of high quality service given to us by Kyle and his staff over our entire ten night stay, a good old fashioned, good-hearted and generous consistency of service that such establishments as the Langham Hotel and Hilton in Auckland could learn a lot from. Kyle gave us a lovely farewell on our last day, and we both agreed that Copthorne Hokianga had been one of our best holiday experiences in recent memory. Congratulations Kyle, we look forward to seeing you, your lovely staff and your lovely hotel in Hokianga next time we are anywhere near.
Neil & Judith Gallagher

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kyle B, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Kia Ora Neil & Judith

WOW thank you very very much for your detailed feedback. I must say it was a pleasure to have you and experience what we have to offer.

I hope you trip home went well and you have settled back into things.

Please do contact us if you are ever to visit again as we would love to see you both again on our shores. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the staff and food here in the Hokianga. I believe the staff especially are one of our biggest assets.

Trust you will enjoy your English ales and until next time......

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were looking for comfortable accommodation on the west coast of North Island, and found this hotel on Tripadvisor, which was a real discovery. It's located in what must be one of the most picturesque spots in New Zealand, with great views.

We had a two-bedroomed unit, which was spacious and well-appointed. On arrival we took lunch in the bar and later dined in the elegant restaurant - you can eat al fresco on the terrace if you wish - finding the bill of fare and wine list offering a good choice. There is an adequate buffet breakfast.

One of the main attractions is that the hotel is fairly remote, and therefore well worth a visit if you've time to spare.

Room Tip: The single-storey (family) units adjoining the main block are very good value
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and I am pleased that you enjoyed one of our two bedroomed units. They are ideal for families or small groups of friends and situated right on the waters edge with that incredible view is certainly an attraction.
We would love to see you back in the Hokianga.

Regards Kyle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Omapere
Opononi Hotel Limited
#3 of 12 in Dargaville
Birdsnest Holiday Home
Birdsnest Holiday Home
#7 of 12 in Dargaville

Been to Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga? Share your experiences!