“Very well located hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Catba Palace Hotel

Catba Palace Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Cat Ba
milano
“Very well located hotel”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is just in the city center of cat ba town, exactly in the street in front of the main pier. Due to the great position, it is very easy from here to depart for halong bay tour as well as visit cat co beaches. The main view point is just 10 minutes by motorbike and the national park is 20 minutes by motorbike.
The hotel is a 8 floors building, we booked a standard room with bookings but when we arrived the staff upgraded us to a bigger room that they still had available.
The room and the bathroom were big, clean and with air conditioning.
Breakfast is great with a good choice of Vietnamese and continental, all was in big portion. Overall is a good place to stay to enjoy cat ba and the hotel staff is very nice and helpful. Moreover, motorbike rental is available.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank lotti23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We booked this tour through a hotel in Hanoi, (lucky 2 Guesthouse). From the start of the tour we were left waiting around, our groups were split up too many times, the tour is VERY unorganised. From the hotel to the stay to the boat. The walk in the national park was a waste of time, as when you get the the top-if your lucky enough with the crouds of people-the view is pretty bad!

To top it all off after our stay on the boat the second night, we were told to leave our room. Having to go to the toilet I went down to the boats public toilet-realising there was no toilet paper I turned around to leave and go get some, as I opened the door, one of the boats staff members was on his. Knees looking under the toilet door!!!! Appalled there was nothing I could do as coincidently none of them could speak any English and the total shock of it all!
Just a warning! Happy travels

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Roxiepup16
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I booked the 3 day 2 night Halong Bay tour from a hotel in Hanoi . I was picked up by fantasea car with fantasea crew but when I came to the seaport the boat that took me to Halong is NOT Fantasea but Halong Wonder. The boat was nothing like what I expected. The public toilet on board was dirty and stinky. There were more people than the capacity of the dining table. So we were crammed into the table and the food is less than the normal portion.
Thank God that I didn't have to sleep on the boat that night. I was more than happy to disembark to Cat Ba Island. This time the hotel was the fantasea hotel. The room was good and clean, toilet was spotless, the food was good and the staffs were friendly. The itinerary for the next day was trekking to the national park, there were 3 of us but the two others didn't want to go so it was only me and Amy, the nice tour guide girl , who went up the national park.
On that day they told me that taifun was coming to Halong Bay, so no boat was operating. I can choose whether coming back to Hanoi by bus or stay in Cat Ba. I chose to stay. I was supposed to go to Monkey Island in the afternoon but because of the taifun, no boat went to Monkey Island. As compensation the tour gave me USD 10 back and rented a bicycle for me for 2 hours to go around exploring Cat Ba.
The next day, the taifun was getting worse so there was no fery operating from Cat Ba. I was stuck in Cat Ba. The Fantasea let me extend my stay in their hotel. The room was free but I have to buy the food by myself. Fair enough. It shows that the tour company cares about their guests.

Dislikes: the pricing of the tour is not the same. On the fantasea booklet it is written the price for 3 days, 2 night is USD 109, I got a discount from the hotel so I paid 105. But then, I met other people they booked from agents, they paid USD 85. The same service for a different price is annoying.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ekazfootprint
Ottawa
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed four nights as we explored Cat Ba Island and Lan Ha Bay. FantaSea (lovely name) was a good place to rest our heads at night. The room was clean and comfortable. It is not on the main street, which is desirable because Cat Ba Town can get pretty loud at night. Breakfast was $2 extra, but was good value.

If you are doing daytrips (e.g. karst cruises, kayaking, rock climbing, hiking) then Cat Ba Town should be your base. This is a fine place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike R
Montreal
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Small room but clean, decoration simple but with some taste. Only a few steps up a very gentle hill from the waterfront, in much quieter part. Asked for boiled water for coffee in room in the morning and service was done in 5min. We had a good sleep one night after the terrible night with Catba Ventures

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Active50
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here as part of a 4 day, 3 night Halong Bay trip with 'Fantasea Cruises'- the same company that own this property. The hotel itself is fine, has AC, decent showers and wifi.
The food appeared to be good but after eating there, I became very sick. The rest of the trip was ruined and spent sprawled on a bathroom floor, and 5 days later, I've just been released from hospital having suffered Acute Gastro-enteritus. The hotel didn't appear worried when speaking to them about the situation (almost like it wasn't the first time?!) , and blamed it on any other number of bizarre possibilities! The hotels (and Fantasea Company as a whole) poor response and management of the issue is the real downfall for this place. There are a number of options on Cat ba and I would suggest staying at an alternative hotel that doesn't leave you bed ridden in hospital for 5 days. I presume this might mean not booking with Fantasea Cruises too - Which also wouldn't be a bad idea! (Exception to this is the boat crew who were actually very helpful and friendly).
Moral of the story is AVOID bookings with FANTASEA CRUISES as well as FANTASEA HOTEL on Cat Ba Island. Not worth the risk ... or the consequent multi-million Dong medical bills.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Croakey666
Halifax
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed here just one night, the staff were very helpful, the rooms were clean and comfortable.

The Breakfast was very good. The location was quiet but within easy reach of all the main attractions. Would recommend this hotel for all types of travelers and age groups

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple