$9
  • Spa
$14
  • Beachfront
Thao Minh New Star Hotel(Cat Ba)(Great Value!)
$26
  • Restaurant
$34
  • Beachfront
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Didn't stay here as we read the appalling reviews.
However, we did go in for a beer at around 21.30 as there was not much else on offer and we were told we had to go upstairs to the noisy bar. We said we just want to chat and sit outside and she said no. We walked away and suddenly she changed her mind.
Miserable girl, totally NFI.
Beer price OK, food outrageous (didn't bother) and other drinks very pricey.
Entertainment was provided by one of the girls getting beaten up by a Vietnamese guy in the bar. None of the locals intervened and having read that it's not a good idea for a foreigner to get involved we let them get on with it. The other local guys just watched on....nice these Vietnamese.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Itcanbedone
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Completely agree with the other reviews describing how horrible this place is. We happily dropped our bags off w/out checking the place out due to the LP review, which was the most off base review of any hotel I've ever experienced. We ended up packing our bags just after 10 pm when it became clear that the bar was so loud there would be no sleeping that night. The exceedingly rude staff comprised entirely of teenage girls yelled at us and threatened to not return our passports. We finally prevailed and went to a nicer hotel down the road that was half the price.
Did I mention the room was dirty, no trash can, no drain on the sink so dirty water just spilled all over the floor and onto our feet - it was truly disgusting and we are both seasoned travelers.
Steer clear of this place - despite it's easy location just off of the dock in downtown Cat Ba.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I chose to stay in this hotel based on the recommendation of the well known guideline and because its central location.
I spent 2 nights and allover cannot recommend this hotel. The room decoration was nice but it was dirty, no sign of cleaning at all. On the first day there was no air condition from the afternoon through the whole night because of a power cutoff. It was possibly bad luck because there was power back after couple of hours, only the circuit supplied the aircon did not resume. The fridge got de-iced and a nice puddle appeared around it, no one cleaned it during my stay.
But the worst was the service, in the bar the young stuff had no other interest then have fun and to play pool with each other. I had to go there several times to interrupt them and they seemed surprised that the guest wanted to order something.
They certainly require an overhaul in customer service.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I did not stay in the hotel, but I went to dinner and lunch to the noble house restaurant. Also I went to their bar on the 2nd floor. Over all I'm dissapointed. Not because the meals were less than average, but because the staff has been very unhelpful and unfriendly. More than once I had the feeling that I am applicant and not a guest who is spending money.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We chose Noble House because it was an "our pick" in our guidebook, but it proved to be the exact opposite of the guidebook's description.

The room was dirty, the bathroom had an ant infestation, the road noise was intrusive, and above all, the staff was rude and extremely unhelpful. The room did not have towels or a waste bin of any sort, and the manager seemed very irritated when we asked the third time for them. We checked out two days early and found another hotel for the same price that was clearly a class above the Noble House. The day after we checked out, the power was out all day. Our new hotel provided electricity through a generator that kept all services running (including the A/C), whereas a family we met that was also staying at the Noble House suffered through the power outage without any electricity -- apparently the hotel has a generator but refused to turn it on.

The "our pick" rating that this place received means that it gets a steady stream of new visitors, which may explain how can continue to treat its customers so callously. Due to its horrendous service, lack of cleanliness, and price that puts it on par with mid-range hotels in the area offering far better service, I would recommend all travelers away from the Noble House.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple