“Lesson learned: always read TripAdvisor reviews”
Review of The Noble House

The Noble House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cat Ba
The Noble House
Ranked #48 of 80 Cat Ba B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2013

For some inexplicable reason this is was the first (and subsequently only) time during the last 2.5 months when my partner and I relied on the Lonely Planet and our first impressions, rather than reading TripAdvisor reviews; lesson learned.  Don't bother with this place.  That we stayed 3 nights was due only to the fact that we were too drained to move elsewhere.

The shared balcony afforded a lovely view over the waterfront and bustling main street of Cat Ba, which was particularly entertaining on weekend evenings when the Vietnamese tourists come out to play.  When the power worked, the air conditioning was effective.  The staff were really quite friendly once they got to know us.  Therein ends the positive aspects of this establishment.

The bed was a futon-esque affair, devoid of linen and instead covered with what appeared to be a patchwork quilt underlay.  The bathroom was a (very very) wet room, with no ventilation.

There wasn't a single rubbish bin on the entire 3rd floor.  We ended up having to store our rubbish in a plastic bag in the fridge, because even a tied-up plastic bag left on the floor was covered in ants after an hour.

And noise!!!!  The rooms are located one floor above a bar.  The incessant "music" continued until 11pm on weeknights, and well after 2am on the weekend.  Earplugs and a pillow over my head somewhat alleviated the noise, but the this was insignificant given the entire room was vibrating.

For US$15/US$20 (weekdays/weekends) you can find much better in Cat Ba.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I'm a fairly flexible traveler, and have put in my time as a backpacker, but now find that I will pay a couple dollars more if it means clean sheets and a bit of quiet to sleep! My friend and I stayed at the Noble House because we went on an Asia Outdoors tour (housed in the same building) and thought it would be convenient, but it was not worth it! The room was very dirty (dirty sheets included!), and if it were not for bringing earplugs along, I would not have slept at all, given that the bar was playing loud music for half the night. The smell of marijuana drafting down the hallway was also a bit off-putting! Though none of the Cat Ba guesthouses are great, there are definitely better options just a few footsteps away!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lisaslav
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I travelled to nearly 50 countries, many cities and places, and this is the worse place I have ever seen. It is a shame that it is recommended by the Lonely Planet, and I am writing to them to take this place out of their book. Although the hotel looks nice at first sight, as well situated with a nice bar and some guidance on climbing activities, the hotel is worse than terrible:
- I was woken up at 4am by a rat on my body. Yes, a rat, which was trying to eat out stuff in the room. The gap between doors and floor/wall is huge, so big rats come and leave all night long.
- we got robbed 50 USD
- service is terrible, and didn't care at all when we complained about what happened to us
- way more expensive than clean and good hotels in the same area.

DO NOT try, don't ask for the price or visit the place. Just go elsewhere, you ll get robbed, and sleep with rats.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carl_Marin
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Hi, I'm writing to lonely planet in order to question the integrity of their service. We went to this hotel in order to check the rooms as it was the highest rated one in their guide, with awesome review from them. However, we didn't stay there due to the awful aspect of the rooms, and avoided the restaurant during our 1st day as we didn't feel like appreciating being shouted at in the street in order to ask us to check the menu. We however had to eat there on the following morning and lunch as we had scheduled a climbing session with slo poney agency (located 1st floor of their hotel), and ended up mad for the day and sick for the rest of the trip! Service was awful, we were shouted at when ordering, the waitress refused to change our order when we changed our mind during ordering, the prices are twice higher than other restaurants, and the food doesn't taste too good. But, the best always coming second, we got all sick (4 of us) a few hours later and for the following days! And for te 1st time of the trip... We all had an amazing time in vietnam, north and south, with amazing people, staff, food an experience, but these guys are the worst thing I've been expreriencing in years!

As a note, the tour agency Slo Poney isn't a great one either, we paid 60$ each for a morning of climbing + lunch, which started 1 hour late and without lunch...

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Jutpa
Reviewed March 13, 2012

you will get ripped off anyway possible there terrible staff (including this one women watch out for her she will rip you off) tried to charge us for wet laundry and tried to overcharge the room

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Julius K
Reviewed February 26, 2012

The below reviews say it all really, and had we checked this first rather than just going with Lonely Planets 'Our Pick' we would have saved ourselves a lot of bother. The convenient location right opposite the ferry pier, LP endorsement and fact that they have the excellent SloPony in the same building must be the only thing drawing customers to this place and, like us and the review before, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone checks out after 1 night to look for a different hotel.

The room was OK, but at $10 a night was well overpriced. My main issue was with the incredibly rude staff, poor service, terrible music blaring from the bar downstairs till late at night and the crap food. I ordered some bread with butter and jam and when it arrived the butter sachet had dead flies stuck to it along with mud or some sort of black mess which was smeared on the plate too. The jam was a dollop the size of a small grape, and when I called the waitress back over to request a larger portion of jam I was met with her usual surly attitude. I couldn't believe someone could serve food to you in that state (and have the cheek to charge 35000 dong for it), it was so ridiculous I just had to laugh.

After one night here we walked along the main street, checked out rooms in another couple of hotels and moved straight away to a much nicer, cheaper place down the road (Song Chanh - $6 a night for a massive clean room with awesome view over the harbour from the upper floor rooms). Quite frankly the Noble House was so bad it has finally moved me to sign up to Tripadvisor so that I could warn others away from it. Not that you'll need any convincing as my thoughts are clearly shared by many other reviewers...

Room Tip: Any that aren't in this hotel