“Fantastic Experience”

Asia Outdoors
Ranked #1 of 46 Tours in Cat Ba
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer daily rock climbing, kayaking, trekking, and bicycle tours in the Mai Chau valley. This is the second location of the Asia Outdoors family. Mai Chau offers a side of Vietnam rarely seen and is definitely not to be missed.Now you can enjoy Mai Chau with a top rated, customer focused company.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had one day to see the bay and we wanted to do something a bit more adventurous and less touristy than the boat tours offered in Hanoi. We decided to go with the kayaking tour offered by AO. The price was very reasonable. We were taken on a route devoid of any other boats. It was an amazing experience. We explored caves and isolated beaches. One of the highlights of my trip. The staff were friendly and just plain cool. Thanks for the great tour Mike!

Bobby J, Guest Relations Manager at Asia Outdoors, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Hello!

Thank you for your review! Comments from our customers are really appreciated. I am so glad you felt that you got a more private and less touristy view of the bay! Being authentic and less touristic is one of the things we strive for and pride ourselves in. Mike has been notified of your positive experience with him as a guide, and will receive an ice cream cone on the company!

Good luck and happy travels,

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Asia Outdoors is a must if you are going to Cat Ba. The staff is friendly and welcoming and a great resource for everything happening on Cat Ba. We signed on for an overnight boat trip, which included rock-climbing in the morning, lunch, and kayaking in the afternoon. (They accommodate all skill levels on the rock-climbing so whether you are a beginner or experienced, you will enjoy it.) They served dinner on the boat and we had a great night on the water under the stars.

They anticipate your needs and did a great job of running everything smoothly. My time in Cat Ba was just a few days out of a month-long adventure and Asia Outdoors made it a memorable one!

Hey there!

Thanks for the great review! It's really helpful for us to hear back about how we're doing with our trips. The night on the boat is a great experience, glad you decided to do it! Hope you felt like you improved your climbing skills as well!

Happy travels and keep climbing!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were on a prearranged 3 day, 2 night tour - and had an afternoon of 'walk around the town'. We tripadvisored (is that now a verb?) and these guys popped up. Dropped in, and asked if we could do any climbing - tour had already left for the day. Shot the breeze with the guys for a bit - eventually bobby says - if you guys are up for it (my wife, me, my kids (10b, 8g)), you can still get a little climbing in - but you gotta get moving. We negotiated a price (I don't think they made any money on us) - and the next thing we know - Bobby arranges for a couple of motorbike taxis, head off to a harbour, get on a banana boat (sides are about 4" above the water, with a single cylendar motor) and off we go to catch up to the group. By the time we get there the group was 'climbed out' and we had two guides essentially to ourselves.

One route was a little tough - and the guide (can't remember his name) essentially free climbed (as the other guide tried to belay fast enough) to the trouble spot and set another anchor for us and 'hopped down' again - pretty cool to see.

A junk showed up to collect the group and we grabbed a ride home, drank a little beer and had a great time.

Thanks to Bobby for being flexible and putting something together at the last minute.

Kids said it was one of the best things we did in Vietnam.

Bobby J, Guest Relations Manager at Asia Outdoors, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thanks for your review!

I'm glad we were able to put something together that worked for you! Flexibility to accommodate the needs of all our customers is something we strive for on a daily basis. It is really amazing to watch some of our guides go, literally, running up the limestone walls, and then come soaring back down again! Glad you were able to enjoy a spur-of-the-moment, out-of-the-ordinary, trip!

Happy travels,

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I spent the better part of 4 days in Cat Ba, most of it with Asia Outdoors, and it was one of the best and most memorable parts of my month in Vietnam. The staff is exceptional! I walked in and chatted with Asha and Nick, told them some of the activities that we were interested in, and our experience level (we were a group of 4)...and in short order we had a custom itinerary encompassing a couple days of climbing, an afternoon of kayaking, and a floating overnight on the Bay.

The trip was exceptionally well organized...and the staff made it easy to transition from activity to activity...with Russell taking point...Vu Huong, Thanh (?) running our climbing experience...they were all able to professionally, and safely run the experience, while still allowing our group the freedom to stray from the traditional itinerary (such as swimming across the channel from climbing on the beach to lunch on the boat)...I always felt I was in good hands, while not be hemmed in by "have to's"

Oh, and did I mention that the setting is one of the most spectacular in world?...this is a can't miss if you are on this side of the world.

All in all...a truly exceptional experience...everybody that I interacted with from Asia Outdoors was truly committed to us having a great experience...and it showed.

For everything that we had going, considering all the press that AO had received (Lonely Planet, ect), I was expecting to pay significantly more than we did. Overall, I think this was a tremendous value for the money.

My only regret was that the tides were slightly off (for our skill level) to attempt the deep water soloing...I think another trip might be in order...

Bobby J, Manager at Asia Outdoors, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Howdy!

Well shucks, you're making us blush. Nothing makes us happier than to provide you and your friends with an unforgettable experience! The guides you mentioned are very appreciative of your positive comments. We hope the rest of your travels went smoothly and apologize that we could not take you Deep Water Soloing. Please come back in the summertime to do it!

Thanks again,

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I thought I would spend 3 days in Cat Ba but stayed for a full week, loved it and did several trips with Asia Outdoors. The fabulous thing to do is Deep Water Solo rock climbing. I met 3 cute guys from New Zealand on the boat-bus from Hanoi who came specifically to deep water climb, so I tagged along. I'm a girl and haven't climbed in several years, but I could do it without any problems. You take a basket boat to the rocks and hop on with only rock climbing shoes, no ropes needed. When you're done, you jump into the water and do it again. I also kayaked, which is beautiful in Cat Ba, through natural bridges and arches, to hidden beaches. We also went trekking with a terrific guide, and slepped out on the night boat with a fun group of travelers, early 20s to late 30s, melo, a couple beers and clever jokes, not an MTV spring break booze cruise. If you want dumb, loud and drunk, get a HaLong Bay tour out of Hanoi. Cat Ba has smart, outdoorsie travelers, and Asia Outdoors has excellent knowleldgeable enthused staff, good equipment, flexible itineraries, affordable trips, and a great attitude. They even organized a fun, cozy party for everyone staying in Cat Ba on Christmas. Asia Outdoors and Cat Ba was the highlight of my month in Vietnam!

Bobby J, Manager at Asia Outdoors, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Hello,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our little company here on Cat Ba! Your story reminds us what traveling is all about. We're glad that this experience was your highlight during your time in beautiful Vietnam. We hope to see you back here shortly for the upcoming Deep Water Soloing season!