“friendly folks, happy kids”
Review of Asia Outdoors

Asia Outdoors
Ranked #1 of 43 Tours in Cat Ba
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer daily rock climbing, kayaking, trekking, and bicycle tours in the Mai Chau valley. This is the second location of the Asia Outdoors family. Mai Chau offers a side of Vietnam rarely seen and is definitely not to be missed.Now you can enjoy Mai Chau with a top rated, customer focused company.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The friendly and energetic crew at Asia Outdoors (aka Slo Pony) just given us one of the best day we've had in two weeks in Vietnam. We had no previous experience with formal rock climbing and I was a little wary of getting my kids, 8 and 10, involved with anything too technical. They are both kind of shy around adults they dont know. But the friendly young crew were engaging and obviously experienced so we were willing to give it a go. So glad I did.

First of all, the trip out to the climbing area was a great chance to see some of this beautiful landscape from the water. Lunch was a reasonable variety of dishes on a larger boat with a chance for a bit of a swim as well. Good to know that - I think my kids would have gotten into the water sooner if they knew there was plenty of time before heading off for climbing.

The afternoon climbing session was a great success. You could be as relaxed as you like, swimming off the small but beautiful beach - again had I asked more questions we would have brought the kids' swim suits for this part of the day as well. Or as ambitious as you dared. The staff encouraged us to request tougher climbs if wanted.

Returning to the main dock in the semi sunset through this spectacular landscape is something I wont forget soon. We are keen to do more excursions with this group, I hear good things about the kayaking too. While I wouldn't think this is an outing for very young kids, anyone who can climb a tree or make their way across the monkey bars in a playground should give this a try!

1  Thank B C
There are newer reviews for Asia Outdoors

Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

After hearing other travellers thoughts an review on these guys I emailed them before we got to Cat Ba to enquire as to what they would be running during our stay. I got a friendly and quick reply from Nick with all the details and he also suggested we drop in at 5pm on our day of arrival and catch up of the daily 'meeting' they hold for people interested in the activities. Over a beer they gave us a rundown of the next days kayaking adventure and so we signed up on the spot. We had a great group of about 8 people and it was a great day out - so glad we went. Jess our guide was really good, lunch was super tasty and we enjoyed seeing the sights - it was great fun kayaking, swimming and cruising. If we had more time on Cat Ba we would've had no hesitation using this outfit again - recommended.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

From the list of possible trips and after chatting to other punters at the daily informal evening meeting, we chose the full day cruise/kayak trip.
The weather was awful (thunder and lightning and heavy rain) so didn't get off the boat until after the included lunch. Didn't bother us though as it was a spectacle in itself and hardly under their control!
Pretty good equipment and an interesting guide made for a good day overall. We felt in safe hands with a trustworthy company here.
Also offers rock climbing and overnight stays on the boats.

1  Thank Keith-Wales-UK
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I recently stayed 9 nights on Cat-Ba and spent almost every day with Slopony. I must say I didn't regret it. From the moment I first walked in i got talking to Nick who was incredibly friendly and sociable. And Matt was all to happy to answer all my inquiries he was so enthusiastic and helpful.The next day I was out on a junk heading deep water soloing, for anyone who hasn't done it, I highly recommend giving it a go. I had a few misgivings to begin with being an experienced climber and on a tour with mostly inexperienced climbers but we all had a great day as our guide Vu was very friendly and had an encyclopedic knowledge of all the easy and hard climbs. Lunch was provided and DELICIOUS with plenty to go around. The next few days were spent climbing on and off land with Dave(who had a mighty rendition of Leonidas beard), Allison and Tom who all took time off on their days off to show me around the climbing spots and best places to eat. My final day was spent kayaking around and Nick did an amazing tour through about 3 caves and some beautiful lagoons where he was very knowledgeable on the area an sea life and had an endless amount of amusing stories and anecdotes. All in all, THESE GUYS MADE MY TRIP. Anyone going to the island I recommend only Slopony as their passionate love for their job and willingness to help you out in whatever way possible will make your trip one to remember.

1  Thank Rob2810
Bobby J, Employee- Guide at Asia Outdoors, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Hey Rob!

Thanks for the spectacular review. It has been a blast to have your spunky attitude around. Our guides are all passionate about working here and their attitudes and knowledge of the island of Cat Ba and other climbing areas in the area are top notch. I am glad to hear that even Vu, your DWS guide, was able to personalize your experience, and had you hop on one of his favorite climbs. Cat Ba is a pretty awesome place to go climbing so whenever our guides have a day off they gather their gear and head off to the valley for a full day of climbing. Its always great to have visiting climbers to come join us too since we love sharing our knowledge and joy of living next to an awesome climbing crag that we keep up ourselves. I'm glad you decided to join the overnight boat trip. Being out in the bay at night is an amazing experience and swimming in the glowing water is also pretty neat. You're right, the food that we feed you on our trips is the best and truly an authentic Vietnamese experience.

Hopefully your injuries from the motorbike accident has healed up, keep on disinfecting them.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We were all impressed with their organisation. They're direct, honest and if you take a tour with them you won't be disappointed.