Cat Ba Dream Hotel
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsshared balconyroom was cleanother companiesbudget hotelnight lifenice sea viewtour of ha long bayhai phongtop floorday tripthe ownerwi fitoilet paperexplore the islanddouble roomoff seasonthe main strip
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We had perfect view. (on stayed at the 6 floor), the owner was friendly and helpful, the price was good and the double room was.... hmm ok. Thats it! compare to other offers it was a quit a good stay. Cat Ba is nice to avoid the party people for halong bay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank traveller201015
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the cat ba dream hotel after walking the streets to compare rooms and prices. And settled on it because it had the best rooms and amenities In the $10 a night range, with as good a view as any along the bay. we (my family and I) ended up staying for 5 nights, and enjoyed it thoroughly. It seems every hotel can book just about any activity for you that you want, but perhaps not quite so well as the cat ba dream. The manager, Mr Luong is the most honest man I have come across yet.

We booked our boat tour to Ha Long bay through him and also Hired scooters from him, both times we were surprised and recieved a deal better than expected. He eagerly took lots of time to be helpful to us in any way when we asked and even when we didn't.

We now have booked a 10 day car trip with him that is very good value, and I advise any way travelling to cat ba to stay at the cat ba dream, and take time to enjoy your holiday and get to know the staff. Because they where more helpful than I can say in this review.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank lawsonlewis
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The rooms are clean and the view of the bay excellent. At $10 for a room it was good value. Everything works TV, WiFi, AC etc. Best of all they look after you and can organize tours at good prices. We have made friends at the Cat Ba Dream

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ian L
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was easily the hotel room with the best amenities in which I stayed for my budget (less than $10) during my two-week visit to Laos and Vietnam. It had air-con, good sized beds, fantastic hot water pressure in the shower, a TV (with pretty bad reception) plus because it was low season, I wangled a sea view and free breakfast (admittedly just bread and two fried eggs), all for a grand total of $8 per night. It was an absolute bargain. Admittedly, the rooms themselves are largely forgettable but they are large, comfortable and clean, and they did have some nice touches including pretty artwork and complimentary toothbrushes.

On the downside, the wetrooms never ever get dry, partly due to the humidity - so I would imagine it's the same everywhere - but partly because they're simply not very well designed. There was hole for ventilation which had no mosquito netting over it. And although I didn't see any myself during my two nights, I know that a girl two doors down from me had cockroaches in her room.

The best part about my stay here was the trip we took to Halong Bay. The hotel is family-run and they also have a couple of boats which you can essentially charter. I met up with two other couples and we ended up with the five of us taking a one-night, two-day trip for $65 each (although NB this was a low-season price and agreed because there were originally supposed to be 6 of us, so I doubt he'd offer it for 5 people again). It was brilliant. The food was great, the boat was lovely, we did everything he promised and there wasn't a hint of the bossy tourguide doling out 20 minutes of swimming time that prevails on organised trips. We swam when we wanted, kayaked for as long as we fancied, and ate gorgeous food which was all cooked on board. It was easily the best two days of my trip and I can't imagine how it could have been any better. I strongly recommend organising a tour from Cat Ba Dream, BUT do make 100% sure to get everything written down as to what is included before you set off. The other people I was with were far better than me at this and I suspect that it helped significantly.

Back to the hotel. I didn't like the service, nor the man who we dealt with, whose uncle ran the hotel. He was obsequious and crawling when the two couples were around, but largely indifferent to me, which I found bizarre since they were staying elsewhere and I was a guest at his hotel. He was all over us, but in a slightly creepy way; he came and found as at a restaurant, and asked if he could come with us when we went for a drink. And if he saw me on my own (when he acknowledged my presence at all), he would just ask in a slightly panicked fashion where the others were. He would answer his mobile phone in the middle of a conversation and always seemed visibly irritated when I interrupted him surfing the web to ask him a relevant question.

All in all I would recommend booking a trip from here, if you take the time to iron out all possibilities and make it painfully clear what it is you want from it. And I would more or less recommend the hotel, if only for the brilliant shower, but certainly not for the service.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-view but check the room before you accept it - mine technically had one but it was on the side of the building, so you had to stick your head out of the window to see it!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Robyn J
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed five nights in this hotel. Therefore, it was not a place to leave immediately. The price was very fair with 10$ per night for room with view at the port (no breakfast). The location is in the heart of Cat Ba town, which is good for short walks to the three beaches, to find a motorbike or take a snack in one of the many restaurants along the streets. But nearly every hotel in cat ba can offer these features. The kitchen of the hotel looks clean, but I didn't eat there. The rooms and our shower were also ok, other guests told me different things about their rooms. Anyway, for the price and location absolutely ok.

Not good was their try to keep our passports. Furthermore the manager ("I am the boss!") was not very friendly. We booked a short trip to the hospital and the national park and the cannon for 500.000vd which is a huge amount of money for just three hours with the taxi of his 'cousin'. In the he forgot the last part of the trip and we should pay 200.000 more for the five minutes way to the cannon. It was a rip off. The motorbikes are also cheap, but you have to buy the gas at the next station and so on. Book somewhere else and just enjoy the low price and location.

• Stayed: October 2012